PDA

View Full Version : New here - just saying hi!

lalouba_jane
08-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Hello all,

Just joined yesterday and thought I should introduce myself. So glad to have found a group of people who (hopefully) won't think I'm crazy!

I've been suffering with chronic anxiety for 3 and a half years now. My fears mostly surround my health (the biggest ones being the big C, heart problems and DVT/PEs) but sometimes include issues with transport (terrified of crashing so won't under any circumstances get on a plane anymore,) house fires and being murdered (I know that probably sounds ridiculous!)

I have been tested for a lot of different things and seem to spend so much time at the doctors that they should start charging me rent haha.

My main symptoms are an irregular and fast heartbeat, shortness of breath, front neck/throat pain, digestive aches and pains, dizziness, nausea, a loss of appetite, headaches in the base of my skull and chronic pain/RLS down the back of my left leg.

My anxiety started after the sudden death of my grandfather in 2009. He was an extremely strong, healthy man who had beaten cancer twice and never missed a day of work in his life. It threw my mortality to the foreground and I've never been the same since.

Looking forward to getting to know you all and if you read down this far you deserve a medal!

- Lou.

futurebound
08-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Having anxiety doesn't make u crazy :) it's just one of many tests in life. Having horrible thoughts can deffo be distressing but this forum is amazing in dealing with them, and speaking with those who really understand.

Sorry about your loss.

lalouba_jane
08-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Hello! :) thanks for your reply :)

I've come to terms with the loss of my grandfather (as much as a person can, anyway,) although if I ever hear the hymn 'Jerusalem' (it was his favourite and was played at his funeral,) I become a puddle of a woman! It's hard when someone you looked up to as being so strong and full of life succumbs to death. Sort of screws with your head. I guess I thought in some weird way he'd be around forever. He'd be turning in his grave if he knew his passing had turned me into such a quivering wreck. When I was younger, if I fell over and cried he'd say "Man up, woman!" - he's probably shouting it through the cosmos as we speak, haha.

HealthAnxNut
08-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Our list of symptoms is basically identical. For me, pretty much every little twinge causes a health-related panic... which leads to more health-related panic. Believe me, we all feel crazy sometimes. At least we are in it together!

futurebound
08-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Hello! :) thanks for your reply :)

I've come to terms with the loss of my grandfather (as much as a person can, anyway,) although if I ever hear the hymn 'Jerusalem' (it was his favourite and was played at his funeral,) I become a puddle of a woman! It's hard when someone you looked up to as being so strong and full of life succumbs to death. Sort of screws with your head. I guess I thought in some weird way he'd be around forever. He'd be turning in his grave if he knew his passing had turned me into such a quivering wreck. When I was younger, if I fell over and cried he'd say "Man up, woman!" - he's probably shouting it through the cosmos as we speak, haha.

That's natural to be sad when reminded of a loved one whether its a song, place or smell. You are human after all :) U clearly cared a lot for your grandfather, and still do. That's nothing to be ashamed of or embarrassed.

It's just sometimes our brain interprets emotions and feelings in an intense way and that's what happens with anxiety and such. But coming on here is deffo a start in understand anxiety and yourself as a person :)

octopus
08-05-2013, 04:10 PM
I've had anxiety ever since I was a kid. How did you just get it.i cant comprrehend that

shelley15
08-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Hey, I also have health anxiety and have had it for about a year and a half. I get the same symptoms as you and am always at the doctors trying for then to give me an answer other than anxiety. My brother passed away recently and my anxiety had been worse then ever, and it really plays a big part in my anxiety.

lalouba_jane
08-05-2013, 04:43 PM
Octopus, it's quite rare that people develop it as children, so I'm sorry to hear that you did :(

Normally people develop it because of a traumatic event/events or from an illness.
Either way it sucks!!

locksey
08-05-2013, 04:57 PM
I to have had it since childhood

locksey
08-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Octopus, it's quite rare that people develop it as children, so I'm sorry to hear that you did :(

Normally people develop it because of a traumatic event/events or from an illness.
Either way it sucks!!

Welcome :-)

ADD
08-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Welcome, you will feel right at home here :)..