PDA

View Full Version : Just curious

Robbed
10-12-2007, 08:24 PM
My brother has somewhat of a shyness problem. And I, well, am not exacty the most socially adept person on the planet. But both of us REALLY appreciate it if someone actually attempts to make conversation with us. Yet, it seems that alot of people here DON'T. I'm just wondering whether or not this is a common thing.

duddits
10-12-2007, 11:46 PM
It seems society does not favor shy or introverted people, but I do appreciate if someone makes small talk with me. The fact is ... you'll have to seek those conversations yourself.

Robbed
10-13-2007, 01:24 AM
Then again, the ease of starting conversation depends on SO many things. I personally find that 'social situations' are the most difficult. In these situations, you have to REALLY try to make an effort to make conversation. And this is made all the more difficult by the fact that you are probably competing against other people who have you GREATLY outclassed when it comes to social skill. I find that one-on-one is MUCH easier. Especially if it is a situation in which a common interest comes into play. Sometimes, in these situations, I even feel compelled to strike up a conversation. Talking about cars with someone out at the Pick-And-Pull or talking about the scenery and climbing other peaks while on a hike in the Sierra is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH easier for me than trying to make conversation with someone at, say, a bar or a single's club.

10-14-2007, 07:57 PM
I voted no.

Generally if I'm in a social situation it's not by my choosing, it's because someone is all but forcing me to go. I'm already uncomfortable enough, if someone notices me it's makes me even more uncomfortable. If nobody even knows I'm there it makes it a little easier, then it's pretty much just counting down the minutes until it's all over and I can go home.