PDA

View Full Version : Mind racing :-( cant slow it down

jessy
07-29-2013, 06:57 AM
Well my anxiety is so bad that I am shaking & cant slow my mind down . I am really loosing it at the moment . What is better this or to be numb with meds ???
What a great choice :-(

sazaroo
07-29-2013, 07:03 AM
Well my anxiety is so bad that I am shaking & cant slow my mind down . I am really loosing it at the moment . What is better this or to be numb with meds ???
What a great choice :-(

Hun splash some cold water on your face calm yourself down x

solta
07-29-2013, 07:08 AM
Same thing here even though it has gotten better today. Yesterday I had my first panic attack in months and now I've been constantly worried ever since it happened. Well, I know things are going to get better! I've never taken any meds and I sure hope that I will never have to. I've been told many times to go see a doctor but I've managed very well by myself

jessy
07-29-2013, 07:27 AM
Thank you for your reply's .

I do find this site helpful .

My problem is I can't seem to be on one level . I'm either super anxious & racing thoughts & can't keep still , also feel like I'm in a dream & not real & dizzy etc OR I take meds & can't be bothered to move & feel like life isn't worth living & just feel numb .

I've been like this for so long I have missed out on so much in my life . I really do believe ill never get better or be "normal"

I've tried everything !!!
Tried lots of diff meds over the years
Checked myself into mental health ward (never again !!!!horrendous experience )
Tried no meds at all.
Tried CBT.
Tried CAT.
Tried exercise .
Tried books & tapes & meditation .
Tried alcohol ( Worst thing for me) I now don't drink at all .
So what is left ???
There is no help out there & the help there is on nhs in my experience is so poor .
Rant over xx

futurebound
07-29-2013, 07:47 AM
Have u tried mindfulness? Or neuro linguistic programming?

jessy
07-29-2013, 07:54 AM
No I haven't ??
What is it , could you explain more to me please :-)

futurebound
07-29-2013, 08:11 AM
Mindfulness derives from ancient Buddhist principles of meditation. Some people think meditation is difficult, especially if our thoughts are racing with exacerbated emotions and feelings. It's quite hard to describe over a forum context, but it basically looks at meditation with a focus on breathing. It doesn't try and make the user forget what they are feeling, instead it makes you acknowledge and respect what is going on inside your body. It's about shifting our attention to what calms us down. Here is an exercise you could try:

The primary focus in Mindfulness Meditation is the breathing. However, the primary goal is a calm, non-judging awareness, allowing thoughts and feelings to come and go without getting caught up in them. This creates calmness and acceptance.

Sit comfortably, with your eyes closed and your spine reasonably straight.
Direct your attention to your breathing.
When thoughts, emotions, physical feelings or external sounds occur, simply accept them, giving them the space to come and go without judging or getting involved with them.
When you notice that your attention has drifted off and becoming caught up in thoughts or feelings, simply note that the attention has drifted, and then gently bring the attention back to your breathing.

It's ok and natural for thoughts to arise, and for your attention to follow them. No matter how many times this happens, just keep bringing your attention back to your breathing.

NLP is similar to CBT but is slightly different in it's approach in the sense that it delves deeper, and really helps us to understand the autonomous process our brain carries out, and the way in which we automatically fear the worse. Our brain has a catalog of experiences and feelings, so with anxiety we find that our sub-conscious automatically goes to that 'terror' moment. Re-wiring our brain thought process is very difficult, but by all means very achievable.

Does this make sense?

jessy
07-29-2013, 12:46 PM
It makes a lot of sense . I am going to look more into this . I can see how this could really help me.

I'm wondering if there are any courses or books on this ?
Thank you so much for sharing this
Jessy x

DodgingRain
07-29-2013, 03:31 PM
A short term solution is strong distractions, it can break the cycle. Stuff like going skydiving, etc.

Problem is you get desensitized over time to this and then you either need stronger and stronger distractions or another solution.

futurebound
07-29-2013, 03:45 PM
It makes a lot of sense . I am going to look more into this . I can see how this could really help me.

I'm wondering if there are any courses or books on this ?
Thank you so much for sharing this
Jessy x

Again, Gp should be good in sign-posting u to different services. There's tons on mindfulness which has a proper evidence base, especially for personality disorder and disorders of thought process. You could self-teach, but it's Always good to gain a clinicians opinion too.

The neuro linguistic programming is more completely and deffo requires a psychotherapist.

Lots and lot of book on both, have. A google! If u can't find anything give me a shout n ill help u out :) x gl