PDA

View Full Version : My new battle with Anxiety...

Mark05
10-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Hey all,

Found this site really helpful and comforting to know that i'm not the only one out there battling anxiety.

I have been fun & carefree all my life. Im 24 and came back from an overseas holiday in 2006. 3 months later i found i was having some digestive issues with my stomach. I suffered from burning sensations and nausea on most mornings. I would be well for 2-3 weeks then be shot down again with this unusual sickness for a week before improving again.

Doctors diagnosed Reflux. Ive been a healthy boy all my life and couldnt understand how i can suddenly develop reflux being fit, slim and active.

Over the next several months into 2007 i continued on with the same sick feeling of nausea, vomiting, burning sensations etc each morning. I was waking up each morning wondering how i would feel today and how i would feel this weekend and how long will it last this time..

I wasnt convinced and had further tests done to confirm only reflux again. No other evidence of disease or sickness was found.

Heading into June 2007 i felt life take a little turn for the worse. I couldnt accept me feeling this way for the rest of my life. Yeah i have the correct medication to treat it but having to feel sick every 2nd week was not something i want to put up with for the rest of my life.

Along came the anxiety......

I suddenly felt myself fearing and worrying about more things in life that relate to future events. I worry what i will be doing at work in a few years. I wont be able to find another job etc. This is freaking me out.
More nausea feelings than ever. I was so confused and not sure whether i have anxiety or infact reflux.

I walked into my doctor and put my hand up to see a pychologist. I wanted to talk to someone professional and leave some thinking techniques to calm myself down. Suddenly my focus was to cure this anxiety which has come out of nowhere and there streaming thoughts i now experience.

Ive been seeing my phycologist for 3 months now and i must say i have made good progress. But in the last few weeks with some changes at work and an unknown future i am stil experiencing anxiety symptoms
Again sickness in the stomach. Feeling tired at the end of day. My mind is racing all the time.
Somedays are better than some but im not fully out of it yet. Ive also been feeling depressed over the last few weeks where deep down i know its because of anxiety. I have no reason to feel upset.

At the moment im going back to basics. Trying to implement my stragegies learned to settle my thoughts down. Its really really hard and i feel like giving up sometimes but i dont know what it is in me something or someone picks me up and drags me along. I try to be as strong as i can.

Id love for this to be over and done with but now accept its here and i need to manage it as best i can.

Im keen to hear from anyone else having simular thought issues. Am i trying too hard or being too hard on myself?

Im taking 1 week at a time and i'll know i'll be better soon!

Best Wishes
Mark

JoeyLowtown
10-08-2007, 04:33 AM
Hey mark,
I reckon I relate to you dude! I took amphetamines on one occasion only and had a bad reaction mixed with about 12pints of Lager. I went on holiday the next day with my gf and ended up in hospital in Greece where the doctors could barely speak english. All my tests came back fine yet I wasnt convinced I was ok. Ive struggled with derealisation, strange thoughts, pounding heart, severe pressure headaches, despair etc.
I constantly obsess over my future as you say you do, wonder if I'll be with my gf forever, if I'll have children, what they'll be like, if I'll be financially secure etc etc etc. Sometimes I literally sit there and think all day, the thoughts will just not stop ever. Sometimes ive been scared to fall asleep cos I thought I wouldnt wake up again.
I convinced myself I'd done some permanent damage to my neurotransmitters etc through reading information on health sites etc. However my GP has assured me its generalised anxiety disorder and given me meds and self-help programmes, I have noticed improvements in a short period of time, however I've had a bad couple of days.
My mum has helped me no-end in convincing me my problems are anxiety and when I look back these issues appeared way before the drug use and ive sub-consciously associated them as a point of blame.
I hadnt been happy for sometime due to my parents break up and rejection from my father, being forced to move home, a break up in a previous relationship which I'd had from being 15 - 20 so basically throughout my growing up, problems with an out of control brother who stole £1000 from me. The list is really endless.
I coupled all these problems with the stress of everyday life, finance, friends complaining im always moody and never used to be this way (its fine for them, they dont face the same issues), running a business (Im a self-employed electrician, major stresss - im debating givin it up cos unsure it helps me at the mo), new relationship (brings good and some bad times) This is a very long post but basically my point is , I hope Iunderstanding and commitment I will overcome this condiy