PDA

View Full Version : What is CBT?

antcee72
07-22-2013, 06:13 PM
I see a lot of posts that mention CBT? Is this a type of exercise ? Please let me know and if you have had positive results with it...thanks everyone.. :)

kilmarnock37
07-22-2013, 06:31 PM
I see a lot of posts that mention CBT? Is this a type of exercise ? Please let me know and if you have had positive results with it...thanks everyone.. :)

I think it means cognative behavioural therapy. I'm not certain but I think it's facing ur panic head on and dealing with it. to in theory get rid of
the anxiety and panics by panic attacking itself better

Ahlstrom
07-22-2013, 10:54 PM
I have worked with cognitive behavioral therapy.

The smell of burning marijuana would set my panic attacks off, due to the fact my first panic attack happened after I smoked. Instead of running away from the pot smoke when my friends were smoking I'd sit next to them and smell it on purpose. When my body began to panic I kept sending positive signals to my brain that I was in no harm. Eventually after about a week of doing it I stopped reacting towards it.

futurebound
07-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Cognitive behavioral therapy looks at our thought process, and the way this interacts with our environment. CBT looks to focus on the here and now, and look at ways of developing a more positive thought process. Part of this can include thought challenging for instance; so a thought that one is going to collapse (..when in actual fact they are suffering from a panic attack) can be distressing however, CBT makes you look at the evidence for and against. CBT also looks at NATs (negative automatic thoughts) and the way in which we can process them more effectively.

CBT is empirically studied for it's efficacy in panic disorders, phobias, depression, anxiety to list a few. It is known to have a good track record and one way of accessing it is via IAPT. However, one needs to remember that as human beings, we sometimes get a little rusty, so we have to re-visit what we know to better improve and better adapt it to our life circumstances.

Hope this helps

Peak
07-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Futurebound has hit the nail on the head. CBT is exactly that. The part of CBT that I found not only the most useful but also the most interesting is that, as Futurbound says, it forces you to look at the evidence for and against but by doing this it explains to you how and why you think the way you do. You learn how coping strategies that you adopted in order to cope with your anxiety don't protect you but actually perpetuate the problem. Only once you have fully examined how your thought processes work are you then encouraged to actually challenge these thoughts and assumptions. This can be done by either exposing yourself to the things that cause you anxiety or by simply not doing all the things you would normally due when feeling anxious and instead do other things.

I was massively, massively dubious of CBT when I first started doing it. It really felt far too 'hippy' to me but I couldn't have been more wrong. I'm not going to say it cured me because it hasn't but the insight it has given me has had a massive and hugely positive impact on my life where I can most times deal with and beat my anxiety before it starts and on the days when it gets the better of me, I have a great weapon to fight back with.

rainbow1
07-23-2013, 03:29 PM
Can anyone recommend a good not to medical or lengthy CBT book that they have experience of and enjoyed, benefitted from?

rpea
07-24-2013, 09:57 AM
Stop Obsessing by Drs.Edna Foa and Reid Wilson
From Panic to Power by Lucinda Bassett

MrsJ88
07-24-2013, 10:10 AM
May be a dumb question but who do you go to for this therapy? Or do you do it yourself?

locksey
07-24-2013, 11:30 AM
May be a dumb question but who do you go to for this therapy? Or do you do it yourself?

U kan transfer yrself by calling up or yr dctr writes a letter and transfers u

futurebound
07-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Go to your doctor and describe your symptoms. He will provide a leaflet for IAPT which is a service that enables easy access to therapy. It's self-referral and is usually instigated with an over-the-phone assessment. IAPT is a very good way of gaining CBT and guidance in dealing with depression, anxiety etc.

locksey
07-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Go to your doctor and describe your symptoms. He will provide a leaflet for IAPT which is a service that enables easy access to therapy. It's self-referral and is usually instigated with an over-the-phone assessment. IAPT is a very good way of gaining CBT and guidance in dealing with depression, anxiety etc.

This in England ? ( I apt )

locksey
07-24-2013, 11:53 AM

This in England ? ( I apt )..

futurebound
07-24-2013, 11:58 AM
Haha I'm well aware of that lol! IAPT - Improving access to psychological therapies :)

Peak
07-25-2013, 03:16 AM
What CBT book is good? Well my doctor recommended CBT For Dummies actually as he was reading it himself.

How do you get CBT? Again I went to my doctor who referred me to the NHS's 'Time To Talk' who offer all sorts of physcological therapies, my doctor sent a referral for CBT. Initially you have a telephone assessment where you talk with a counselor about your problems and how you are feeling and coping and they will score you accordingly. A week or so later they call back and ask you the same questions to see how you are coping and again score you. Based on how you've been coping and how highly you have scored they then offer you a therapy that they think would be most beneficial, i.e. CBT and you go on the waiting list for an appointment. How long you wait will depend on many things like how busy your local therapists are, what day and what time of day you can make for an appointment and how far you can travel to an appointment. Because I have a 120 mile round trip commute to work every day I could only make early mornings and so I had to wait about 8 weeks for an appointment. Once you have your appointment though you see the therapist every week for a specified amount of time depending on how much time the therapist believes you need. Also, as it's the NHS, it's completely free.

majored
07-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Hi, ive just finished a course of CBT which was based at my local town. The doctor referred me to have CBT and where i live i had to go on a waiting list of about 6 weeks or so. I then would go to the hospital for CBT once a week for 20 weeks. Ive known many people who have had this and most have said it didnt help with their situation.

It found it helped with some thought process but not all...I have health anxiety and straight away i think the worse every time. They would try and help me think differently about each thought or situation . Sometimes i found CBT would help but i felt that i needed more, 20 weeks wasnt enough . It did help to talk to somebody that could understand the way i felt without having a raised voice and they would give me support . They can give you leaflets on any type of support you need. I also have little tasks each week like not using google, or checking for symptoms etc.