PDA

View Full Version : Fear & Worry Don't Exist

raggamuffin
07-21-2013, 08:45 AM
It's not a tangible substance or material like our skin or a phone that you can touch and feel and see. It's all in our mind and it's the fuel that keeps the fires of anxiety burning.

The mind is very powerful, and as corny as the quote "Mind over matter" sounds, you're living it right now. Anxiety - conjured in the mind is powerful enough to make you physically hurt. The aches, the pains, the constant self doubt. We get ourselves so wound up by being stressed and worried for months and years that the body starts giving you aches and pains and all manner of symptoms to say "Look i'm stressed out and I need to take time to recover".

I imagine the stress and worries built up over years. There could be key events, abuse, loss, self confidence issues, bullying. But what's apparent with everyone is that when the mind has been put through so much negative emotions it starts to push back with symptoms. For some it might start with an anxiety attack. The conclusion is often severe. We feel alienated within our own body. Suddenly we no longer feel safe. We start to doubt, we start to worry and the vicious circle of stress takes up our daily lives. We wonder when the next anxiety attack will come. We think to ourselves "What if next time I die". Perhaps you had an attack in a shop. From then on your mind will associate shops with danger. You might avoid shopping entirely to feel safe. However safety behaviour is a hinderance and not a help. Some people engage in this so much they become utterly housebound convinced that the slightest change in routine could cause an attack.

But there is a complete lack of safety in our minds when anxiety takes a hold. We fill our minds with countless "what if" questions. Often thinking up the worst possible outcomes for day to day life. Sometimes you wake up feeling fine, those few moments of bliss before reality sets in. But our anxiety is a fiction, a nightmare fairytale which we are penning ourselves. The weight of our worries piles ontop of us shortly after we wake up and we feel like there'll never be a day when we wake up not feeling groggy or aching or utterly fed up with the rut we're in. The aches, the pains, the fears, the blues. But please refrain from going to the Dr's whenever a new pain manifests itself. It can be hard to believe the Dr's when we are told it's "just anxiety". We can't piece together how feeling anxious could cause a pain. We convince ourselves it must be something else. Soemthing the tests have not found. But remember we are not thinking logically when we feel anxious every day. We don't have 5+ years of medical knowledge to our names. If it's not visiting the Dr constantly it can be using Google, but often doesn't help. How many times have you ached, Googled and then felt complete dread and terror? A simple headache could lead to you reading about life threatning conditions. So do yourself a favour and refrain from bad habits. If you really can't resist Googling pains or symptoms put in "Anxiety" at the beginning of each pain description.

We can be our own worst enemy when it comes to anxiety. It's all in our minds and it's up to us to overcome it. You can throw drugs, supplements, herbal remedies, acupuncture, holsitic healing or whatever else you think might cure you instantly. But it won't. You could be dosed up to your eyeballs and feel like things are better because the anxiety isn't there. But it's still lurking in the background because the root causes need to be addressed.

It's through understanding and reading about anxiety that things start slotting into place. This is what therapy will address with people. Piecing together your trains of thought, working out the negative and unhelpful ways of thinking. When we're so self absorbed in an anxious world logic tends to be put aside. Instead we have the fears, the worries and sheer paranoia. Day by day you go through pains and sometimes they're so bad you think to yourself "this is it". But what happens? Every morning you wake up again. This shoudl be a sign that anxiety won't hurt you. It won't kill you. You may feel weak or helpless. But know this, you are all brave. TO go through this uphill struggle day in day out takes courage.

But what's also important to remember is that we are all in various stages of recovery. You may well feel lost, but each day we experience the anxiety, the pains and get through it we're one step closer to overcoming this. Yes, we feel utterly bogged down in it all, but being here will help. Provided you ask the right questions. By that I mean if you have a chest pain and ask on here you will no doubt feel at ease realizing how common a symptom it is. But don't post the question time after time, week after week. It can become an addiction and bad pastime in itself. What we must do is gradually Build up knowledge about anxiety. Rationalize the aches and pains and don't let the worries or "what if's" get a foothold. Understanding how our mindset has made our instinctual side become dominant is very important. This is the fight or flight response. Read about it, understand how everytime we get an ache or pain we feel that sudden rush. Perhaps it's not a rush, perhaps it's a sinking feeling or an all encompassing fear. But that is the fight or flight response. As you feel your heart race, the symptoms worsening. THis is all the bodies natural mechanism to fight or fly from danger.

So where is the danger? Much like the title says; it doesn't exist. The daily worrying about death, disease and pains... all of this kicks in the fight or flight response. Every day, perhaps even every hour. Sometimes it'll get so bad you have a full blown anxiety attack. Other times it'll make your aches and pains last for hours, weeks and yes, sometimes even months. But notice this; not only do we wake to live and fight another day. But have you ever noticed you have an ache or pain at the forefront of your mind and yet when you're busy, and I mean truly engaged the pains lessen or disappear? Often you could have an ache for so long then one day another pain comes along. Suddenly the previous pain is no longer a concern and POOF it's gone or dulled at least. This prooves without a shadow of a doubt that it's anxiety. Real illnesses wouldn't fade when you're busy or disappear when you feel another symptom. Again, rationalizing is key and takes practice to master.

The instinctual side of our mind is what must be subdued. This takes time. There is no overnight cure, as much as we'd like to find one. But through practice we can learn to not respond with emotions. So what if your chest aches. How many times in the past has it ached since you've had anxiety? How many times has it kiled you? That's right, none. So let your body ache. That's right, let it do it.... head, neck, shoulders, back, tummy. Wherever your body decides to make you hurt. Your body is simply showing you it's tired, wound up, fed up, stressed and every other emotion the anxiety has bestowed upon you. It's exhasuting isn't it? Feeling this way? Now think about how your body feels too because it's going through the motions just as your mind is. So don't add secondary worries to an aching body that aches solely due to worry. There is no danger and no need to fight.

It can make us panic, upset or downright angry when a pain comes along. But try not responding to emotions. When a pain comes along don't think about "what if's". Don't let your mind race at 100mph. Instead say to yourself you're not in danger. Laugh at your body "silly body, i'm not in danger". Might sound silly, but i'm sure most of us know that panicking, crying, fighting or getting upset doesn't help. It hinders us and can make the pains worse. We simply can't fixate on illness, pains, worries and fears all day. The fight or flight response simply goes into overdrive. Yes, it's hard to undo months or years of bad habit. But nothing is impossible and remember it's mind over matter.

Remove the fear and worry through understanding and knowledge. That is key. Everything else will help you along the way, such as eating healthily, removing processed sugars and junk food, exercising, getting enough daylight etc. They're the icing on the cake. But the real foundations is your mindset and digging yourself out of this self made hole that the worries and stresses have dug you into.

It does take time, but there's no need to loose hope. We are a community here and we are here for each other. But remember don't fixate on the bad. I know how hopeless and fruitless life can feel. Yet, when you feel at your lowest the only way is up. So let's help each other. Read each others stories and constantly build up the knowledge about anxiety. You will start to piece together how anxiety is affecting you. There will be times we feel so happy but pains might come on out of the blue. Again, don't fret or worry and don't respond emotionally. Your body will take time to recover, just as your mind will too. Be patient, unwind and focus on the good in life, because it is there...but sometimes we have to do a little digging to find it

Ed

vic
07-21-2013, 11:37 AM
It's not a tangible substance or material like our skin or a phone that you can touch and feel and see. It's all in our mind and it's the fuel that keeps the fires of anxiety burning.

The mind is very powerful, and as corny as the quote "Mind over matter" sounds, you're living it right now. Anxiety - conjured in the mind is powerful enough to make you physically hurt. The aches, the pains, the constant self doubt. We get ourselves so wound up by being stressed and worried for months and years that the body starts giving you aches and pains and all manner of symptoms to say "Look i'm stressed out and I need to take time to recover".

I imagine the stress and worries built up over years. There could be key events, abuse, loss, self confidence issues, bullying. But what's apparent with everyone is that when the mind has been put through so much negative emotions it starts to push back with symptoms. For some it might start with an anxiety attack. The conclusion is often severe. We feel alienated within our own body. Suddenly we no longer feel safe. We start to doubt, we start to worry and the vicious circle of stress takes up our daily lives. We wonder when the next anxiety attack will come. We think to ourselves "What if next time I die". Perhaps you had an attack in a shop. From then on your mind will associate shops with danger. You might avoid shopping entirely to feel safe. However safety behaviour is a hinderance and not a help. Some people engage in this so much they become utterly housebound convinced that the slightest change in routine could cause an attack.

But there is a complete lack of safety in our minds when anxiety takes a hold. We fill our minds with countless "what if" questions. Often thinking up the worst possible outcomes for day to day life. Sometimes you wake up feeling fine, those few moments of bliss before reality sets in. But our anxiety is a fiction, a nightmare fairytale which we are penning ourselves. The weight of our worries piles ontop of us shortly after we wake up and we feel like there'll never be a day when we wake up not feeling groggy or aching or utterly fed up with the rut we're in. The aches, the pains, the fears, the blues. But please refrain from going to the Dr's whenever a new pain manifests itself. It can be hard to believe the Dr's when we are told it's "just anxiety". We can't piece together how feeling anxious could cause a pain. We convince ourselves it must be something else. Soemthing the tests have not found. But remember we are not thinking logically when we feel anxious every day. We don't have 5+ years of medical knowledge to our names. If it's not visiting the Dr constantly it can be using Google, but often doesn't help. How many times have you ached, Googled and then felt complete dread and terror? A simple headache could lead to you reading about life threatning conditions. So do yourself a favour and refrain from bad habits. If you really can't resist Googling pains or symptoms put in "Anxiety" at the beginning of each pain description.

We can be our own worst enemy when it comes to anxiety. It's all in our minds and it's up to us to overcome it. You can throw drugs, supplements, herbal remedies, acupuncture, holsitic healing or whatever else you think might cure you instantly. But it won't. You could be dosed up to your eyeballs and feel like things are better because the anxiety isn't there. But it's still lurking in the background because the root causes need to be addressed.

It's through understanding and reading about anxiety that things start slotting into place. This is what therapy will address with people. Piecing together your trains of thought, working out the negative and unhelpful ways of thinking. When we're so self absorbed in an anxious world logic tends to be put aside. Instead we have the fears, the worries and sheer paranoia. Day by day you go through pains and sometimes they're so bad you think to yourself "this is it". But what happens? Every morning you wake up again. This shoudl be a sign that anxiety won't hurt you. It won't kill you. You may feel weak or helpless. But know this, you are all brave. TO go through this uphill struggle day in day out takes courage.

But what's also important to remember is that we are all in various stages of recovery. You may well feel lost, but each day we experience the anxiety, the pains and get through it we're one step closer to overcoming this. Yes, we feel utterly bogged down in it all, but being here will help. Provided you ask the right questions. By that I mean if you have a chest pain and ask on here you will no doubt feel at ease realizing how common a symptom it is. But don't post the question time after time, week after week. It can become an addiction and bad pastime in itself. What we must do is gradually Build up knowledge about anxiety. Rationalize the aches and pains and don't let the worries or "what if's" get a foothold. Understanding how our mindset has made our instinctual side become dominant is very important. This is the fight or flight response. Read about it, understand how everytime we get an ache or pain we feel that sudden rush. Perhaps it's not a rush, perhaps it's a sinking feeling or an all encompassing fear. But that is the fight or flight response. As you feel your heart race, the symptoms worsening. THis is all the bodies natural mechanism to fight or fly from danger.

So where is the danger? Much like the title says; it doesn't exist. The daily worrying about death, disease and pains... all of this kicks in the fight or flight response. Every day, perhaps even every hour. Sometimes it'll get so bad you have a full blown anxiety attack. Other times it'll make your aches and pains last for hours, weeks and yes, sometimes even months. But notice this; not only do we wake to live and fight another day. But have you ever noticed you have an ache or pain at the forefront of your mind and yet when you're busy, and I mean truly engaged the pains lessen or disappear? Often you could have an ache for so long then one day another pain comes along. Suddenly the previous pain is no longer a concern and POOF it's gone or dulled at least. This prooves without a shadow of a doubt that it's anxiety. Real illnesses wouldn't fade when you're busy or disappear when you feel another symptom. Again, rationalizing is key and takes practice to master.

The instinctual side of our mind is what must be subdued. This takes time. There is no overnight cure, as much as we'd like to find one. But through practice we can learn to not respond with emotions. So what if your chest aches. How many times in the past has it ached since you've had anxiety? How many times has it kiled you? That's right, none. So let your body ache. That's right, let it do it.... head, neck, shoulders, back, tummy. Wherever your body decides to make you hurt. Your body is simply showing you it's tired, wound up, fed up, stressed and every other emotion the anxiety has bestowed upon you. It's exhasuting isn't it? Feeling this way? Now think about how your body feels too because it's going through the motions just as your mind is. So don't add secondary worries to an aching body that aches solely due to worry. There is no danger and no need to fight.

It can make us panic, upset or downright angry when a pain comes along. But try not responding to emotions. When a pain comes along don't think about "what if's". Don't let your mind race at 100mph. Instead say to yourself you're not in danger. Laugh at your body "silly body, i'm not in danger". Might sound silly, but i'm sure most of us know that panicking, crying, fighting or getting upset doesn't help. It hinders us and can make the pains worse. We simply can't fixate on illness, pains, worries and fears all day. The fight or flight response simply goes into overdrive. Yes, it's hard to undo months or years of bad habit. But nothing is impossible and remember it's mind over matter.

Remove the fear and worry through understanding and knowledge. That is key. Everything else will help you along the way, such as eating healthily, removing processed sugars and junk food, exercising, getting enough daylight etc. They're the icing on the cake. But the real foundations is your mindset and digging yourself out of this self made hole that the worries and stresses have dug you into.

It does take time, but there's no need to loose hope. We are a community here and we are here for each other. But remember don't fixate on the bad. I know how hopeless and fruitless life can feel. Yet, when you feel at your lowest the only way is up. So let's help each other. Read each other's stories and constantly build up the knowledge about anxiety. You will start to piece together how anxiety is affecting you. There will be times we feel so happy but pains might come on out of the blue. Again, don't fret or worry and don't respond emotionally. Your body will take time to recover, just as your body will too. Be patient, unwind and focus on the good in life, because it is there...but sometimes we have to do a little digging to find it

Edhya I've noticed you put a lot of really deep and meaningful and helpful posts on I am new to here and just wondering what you suffer from if and how you over come or ease you thoughts and or feelings ;) thankyou

ADD
07-21-2013, 11:49 AM
Well said Ed, I will try and take your advice. I encourage others to do the same.
Thank you!!

raggamuffin
07-21-2013, 12:16 PM
hya I've noticed you put a lot of really deep and meaningful and helpful posts on I am new to here and just wondering what you suffer from if and how you over come or ease you thoughts and or feelings ;) thankyou

Hello,

Thank you for reading this. I try and help people as best I can as I was in the same position for 2 years and people here helped me. I asked the same questions again and again whenever I got a new pain or symptom. I kept asking "Is this anxiety?" Constantly worrying and fretting that it was something more sinister. Mine has always been health anxiety. Started with 2 panic attacks and then the chest pains which led to heart attack phobias. Left arm pains, neck pains, headaches, dizziness lasting months and a 3 month constant stomach ache.

Tried meds, tried huge lifestyle changes but nothing stuck. I was still anxious and still getting pains then worrying then more pains then more worry. Round and round. Finally one day it did finally quick - it is all just anxiety. I say "just" but anxiety is by no means a small matter to deal with. It takes over your life. But pains day in day out and waking up the next day I started to realize all the Dr visits, examinations and Googling horrid symptoms prooved one thing. 2.5 years of this pains and I was alive, so I thought to myself "It can't be anything other than anxiety".

I recommend CBT, but for it to really work you need to be reaching that realization, that anxiety is the cause and there's no hidden illness or disease. It'd be very very rare that what people have on here is anything more than anxiety. But it's that little unknown which can keep the anxiety burning.

People worrying about the future or their health or family or money. These can really affect someone who is anxious as the worries seem x10 worse. So my suggestion is really read about anxiety. The stickies at the top of this forum are invaluable. Really sink your teeth into the subject until you know plenty about it. You then start to remove the fear bit by bit.

It's not easy, but living with anxiety is worse. Once you start to rationalize the situation you're in the fears about symptoms become less and less. But it really does take practice. At first you'll always react emotionally. You get a painand instantly asking yourself countless questions:

"This hurts, when will it stop?"
"Will it get worse?"
"What's wrong with my body?"
"Is this just anxiety?"
"I think i'm dying, please make it stop"

These sorts of questions aren't rational. Quite the opposite and this is where you should literally say to yourself, or shout out "STOP!" Because we've been there before and we've survived. Yes it's not nice and can be downright scary, but we start to realize fearing the pains, worrying, panic...it serves no purpose. makes us feel worse.

So do your best to keep busy. Distraction is invaluable when you feel down. Take up old hobbies, find some new ones. Keep your mood as upbeat as possible and start enjoying life. Even if times you don't feel like it, wear a smile on your face. Watch comedy shows, read books, draw, meet friends (invite them over if you're still nervous about going out).

So keep busy, try not to dwell. Rationalize the situations, the pains and keep reminding yourself you're not in danger. Like I said, it takes practice, but you really can start to change the way you think and subdue the instinctual side to panic when a pain or ache comes along.

Ed

vic
07-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Hello,

Thank you for reading this. I try and help people as best I can as I was in the same position for 2 years and people here helped me. I asked the same questions again and again whenever I got a new pain or symptom. I kept asking "Is this anxiety?" Constantly worrying and fretting that it was something more sinister. Mine has always been health anxiety. Started with 2 panic attacks and then the chest pains which led to heart attack phobias. Left arm pains, neck pains, headaches, dizziness lasting months and a 3 month constant stomach ache.

Tried meds, tried huge lifestyle changes but nothing stuck. I was still anxious and still getting pains then worrying then more pains then more worry. Round and round. Finally one day it did finally quick - it is all just anxiety. I say "just" but anxiety is by no means a small matter to deal with. It takes over your life. But pains day in day out and waking up the next day I started to realize all the Dr visits, examinations and Googling horrid symptoms prooved one thing. 2.5 years of this pains and I was alive, so I thought to myself "It can't be anything other than anxiety".

I recommend CBT, but for it to really work you need to be reaching that realization, that anxiety is the cause and there's no hidden illness or disease. It'd be very very rare that what people have on here is anything more than anxiety. But it's that little unknown which can keep the anxiety burning.

People worrying about the future or their health or family or money. These can really affect someone who is anxious as the worries seem x10 worse. So my suggestion is really read about anxiety. The stickies at the top of this forum are invaluable. Really sink your teeth into the subject until you know plenty about it. You then start to remove the fear bit by bit.

It's not easy, but living with anxiety is worse. Once you start to rationalize the situation you're in the fears about symptoms become less and less. But it really does take practice. At first you'll always react emotionally. You get a painand instantly asking yourself countless questions:

"This hurts, when will it stop?"
"Will it get worse?"
"What's wrong with my body?"
"Is this just anxiety?"
"I think i'm dying, please make it stop"

These sorts of questions aren't rational. Quite the opposite and this is where you should literally say to yourself, or shout out "STOP!" Because we've been there before and we've survived. Yes it's not nice and can be downright scary, but we start to realize fearing the pains, worrying, panic...it serves no purpose. makes us feel worse.

So do your best to keep busy. Distraction is invaluable when you feel down. Take up old hobbies, find some new ones. Keep your mood as upbeat as possible and start enjoying life. Even if times you don't feel like it, wear a smile on your face. Watch comedy shows, read books, draw, meet friends (invite them over if you're still nervous about going out).

So keep busy, try not to dwell. Rationalize the situations, the pains and keep reminding yourself you're not in danger. Like I said, it takes practice, but you really can start to change the way you think and subdue the instinctual side to panic when a pain or ache comes along.

Ed

Thank you for that ;) I have had anxiety on and off for yrs bd depression I've never took meds but last time I had it like this was 10 yrs ago I've gone through a stressfull time I've a 3 day trial starting tmz :( feel so stressed nd scared the insident is a long story happen between my self nd my hubby nd sum other person got involved as ther was a history of domestic violence between my hubby nd my self but in a nut Shell I'm on trail for 2 section 20's ;( nd it's fne on for 14 months so u can imagine the worry just wondering if u have any quick tips to stay calm nd positive plz thank you ;)

raggamuffin
07-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Focus on correct breathing, try chamomille or peppermint tea. Keep yourself busy, try your best not to worry about the future. Concentrate on the here and now as best as you can. I hope everything goes ok for you. It must be very difficult situation to be in but you have to do your best to make the best with what you have. Focus on the good because if you dwell on nothing but the bad it'll just make you feel worse.

Ed

vic
07-21-2013, 03:18 PM
Focus on correct breathing, try chamomille or peppermint tea. Keep yourself busy, try your best not to worry about the future. Concentrate on the here and now as best as you can. I hope everything goes ok for you. It must be very difficult situation to be in but you have to do your best to make the best with what you have. Focus on the good because if you dwell on nothing but the bad it'll just make you feel worse.

Ed

I'm a bugger for over thinking lol I think way way too much nd not positive stuff either which I cud just be a person who lets things fly but I'm so deep even though I am usually a very strong minded determined person when I get in this frame of mind I'm weak nd it makes me feel worse I try my hardest to snap out of it nd let my strong determined side come bk but I knw that's what I need to do more often is be in the present not in the past or the future look at what I have I do try that but when the negertive thoughts in ur sub conscious come through they slowly take over nd make u think irrational not like u would when your better nd not in the depressed or anxious state :( I've let the stress of it all build up nd get on top of me :(

sharacel91
07-21-2013, 03:33 PM
This is an amazing post... Everything is so true what you have said I will keep reading this and when anxiety hits ill read it again thank you!!!

Adam123
07-21-2013, 03:50 PM
Fantastic opening post. Wonderful read.

raggamuffin
07-22-2013, 12:50 AM
I'm happy to hear people are finding it helpful. If ever anyone wants to talk drop me a PM or ask for my Skype or FB details as i'm on them 24/7 to talk.

Ed

falconlady
07-22-2013, 07:23 AM
Awesome!!!!!! I use CBT and chamomile/peppermint tea also, very helpful

MrsJ88
07-22-2013, 07:34 AM
Awesome!!!!!! I use CBT and chamomile/peppermint tea also, very helpful

Can someone please explain CBT to me? What is it?

falconlady
07-22-2013, 07:51 AM
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Look at the stickys above, there is a link to it that I used when I first joined that helped me tremendously. It helped me get completely off klonopin. Read stickys or posts from Panic Cured or Raggamuffin. There are other goods ones too that just won't come to mind:) Read everything you can about it, I also use positive affirmations, binaural beats & mindfulness meditation from utube. I had to learn to help myself, I couldn't afford therapy because of useless dr. appts & testing.

raggamuffin
07-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. MrsJ88 - CBT can be very helpful. It gives you the tools to help you move on from anxiety. It's not an overnight cure by any means and it's best to start therapy with some previous background knowledge about anxiety. That's why I often advise people read about anxiety. The more it's understood the more you piece together how it's affecting you and how the symptoms, aches and pains shouldn't be feared. Yes they're horrid but adding more worries and fears ontop of symptoms caused by worries and fears isn't helpful.

In UK you can get CBT for free on the National Health Service. Elsewhere in the world I imagine you would have to pay. However the more you know about anxiety the less CBT you will need. It's not the type of therapy where you'd be doing it for years. It's short and sweet as it were.

Ed