PDA

View Full Version : Heart Palps

pitchblackheart
07-21-2013, 06:33 AM
Hi all,

Can anyone describe what there palps feel like. I know there different for everyone I just wanted to put my mind at rest as mine dont just feel like a fast heart rate.

Thanks for your responses

:)

Michelle

frankzito
07-21-2013, 06:48 AM
Hi all,

Can anyone describe what there palps feel like. I know there different for everyone I just wanted to put my mind at rest as mine dont just feel like a fast heart rate.

Thanks for your responses

:)

Michelle

Hello, mine feel like it kinda skips a beat and sometimes it feels like it stops for a second and gets going again. Jason

pitchblackheart
07-21-2013, 06:55 AM
Mine sort of feel my heart flutters for a few seconds. Almost like a quiver if that makes sense. I feel it in my throat and my chest. Dont get any other symptoms at the same time. Just panic afterwards!

Anyone else's like that?

frankzito
07-21-2013, 07:05 AM
Mine sort of feel my heart flutters for a few seconds. Almost like a quiver if that makes sense. I feel it in my throat and my chest. Dont get any other symptoms at the same time. Just panic afterwards!

Anyone else's like that?

If mine last longer than expected, I immediately start to panic too

Peak
07-21-2013, 11:46 AM
Mine vary a bit. When they are minor it just feels like an extra beat. The best way to describe it is imagine walking at the same pace as your heart beat, then you trip and stumble an extra couple of steps and then continue walking at the previous pace. When they are bad it's like that but far more severe so using the same analogy, when you stumble you now almost break into a run whilst you try to gain your feet again and this can lead to dozens of extra beats. On top of this I can get what I call a half beat. To me it feels as though part of my heart has squeezed but the bit that actually causes the beat doesn't happen. Invariably this means that the next heartbeat is a much stronger one. I can and do also get a rapid heart rate which can either occur on it's own or with these extra and missed heart beats. Sometimes the increased heart rate is relatively minor, my normal resting heart rate is around 75bpm and when I get a rapid heart rate this may only increase to 90bpm but other times it can go to 110-120bpm (again at rest).

leetbulldog
07-22-2013, 02:40 AM
Hello, mine feel like it kinda skips a beat and sometimes it feels like it stops for a second and gets going again. Jason

Mine feel the same!! :/ like an adrenaline feeling in your chest aswell..I hate it

Blessed
07-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Like tonight I've had close to 20 heart palps over a few hours is that normal???? They keep on and on and on

Peak
07-23-2013, 03:49 AM
Like tonight I've had close to 20 heart palps over a few hours is that normal???? They keep on and on and on

All normal, I've had more than that in a few seconds in the past. Easier said than done but when you get palps your natural behaviour will be to internalise i.e. the focus of attention goes to what is or isn't happening inside of you. Instead focus on what is happening outside but really focus, you need to totally fill you mind with every small detail so that there is nothing left for you to think about what's happening inside. For example at the moment I'm just sat at my computer but if I externalise I can hear water from next doors garden fountain, a bird singing in the tree, a breeze blowing through the branches, the sound of me tapping at the keyboard, there are the piles of paper sat at my desk that I really need to sort out, there's the CD I've been looking for the past 2 days, to my right is my cd library and it needs a bit of dusting etc etc. By doing this you can learn to break the cycle as the more palps you get the more you will internalise and that will just lead to more palps.

Blessed
07-23-2013, 09:40 AM
All normal, I've had more than that in a few seconds in the past. Easier said than done but when you get palps your natural behaviour will be to internalise i.e. the focus of attention goes to what is or isn't happening inside of you. Instead focus on what is happening outside but really focus, you need to totally fill you mind with every small detail so that there is nothing left for you to think about what's happening inside. For example at the moment I'm just sat at my computer but if I externalise I can hear water from next doors garden fountain, a bird singing in the tree, a breeze blowing through the branches, the sound of me tapping at the keyboard, there are the piles of paper sat at my desk that I really need to sort out, there's the CD I've been looking for the past 2 days, to my right is my cd library and it needs a bit of dusting etc etc. By doing this you can learn to break the cycle as the more palps you get the more you will internalise and that will just lead to more palps.

That totally makes sense however I'm obviously not a sensible person. Mine has never went this long with constant palps almost back to back. Now I checked my blood pressure and its also indicating irregular heartbeats on my monitor screen . My cardiologist has assured me over and over and over And over and over that I DO have PVCs we all do and they are normal. He even said that I am PERFECTLY FINE and we could say goodbye and schedule no more appointments for me, that's how certain he was. SO WHY CAN'T I BELIEVE HIM???

Peak
07-23-2013, 10:09 AM
That totally makes sense however I'm obviously not a sensible person. Mine has never went this long with constant palps almost back to back. Now I checked my blood pressure and its also indicating irregular heartbeats on my monitor screen . My cardiologist has assured me over and over and over And over and over that I DO have PVCs we all do and they are normal. He even said that I am PERFECTLY FINE and we could say goodbye and schedule no more appointments for me, that's how certain he was. SO WHY CAN'T I BELIEVE HIM???

Why can't you believe him? Simple. Self preservation. Put it like this, the thing you are fearing is ultimately death. Now death is pretty major ;) not something you want to take any chances with because there's no way you can get a 2nd chance at it. So the docs tell you that you are absolutely fine but there's a voice inside you that says "but what if". "What if they've missed something, what if they are wrong? I can't take that chance because if I'm right and they are wrong, I'm dead." So you don't 100% believe them because you don't want to take that chance. You want to believe them but you can't take that risk.

I thought exactly this way. This to me was what my CBT therapist and myself named "Theory A".

So what do you do? You have to come up with a "Theory B". Theory B being the doctors are right and that all these things you are experiencing are things that everyone else also experiences and you are perfectly okay. Now there is no easy way of saying or doing this, God knows I found it incredibly scary and took me many weeks to pluck up the courage to do so, but you have to put Theory B to the test. You have to look at the evidence that supports Theory A and the evidence that supports Theory B. You will realise that there is very little if any actual evidence to support Theory A but there is medical evidence to support Theory B. You then put Theory B into practice by breaking the routine of Theory A. So where in Theory A you may have various things you do which you think are there to help you like checking your pulse, blood pressure, looking symptoms up online etc etc, you have to try and stop doing them. When you get your palps under Theory A you will internalise things so instead you concentrate on what is happening externally. Under Theory A there may also be things you don't do for fear of what may happen like exercise for example. In Theory B you do exercise. Like I say it is not easy, it's very very hard but you need to put this into practice for a few weeks. One thing you could try as well which my therapist recommended but which I never had the courage to do is to alternate between Theory A and B and monitor how your mood changes. Basically the idea is to challenge the Theory A which you've built for yourself albeit with the best intentions to explore where it actually fails and how it perpetuates itself. One of the things I realised in doing this was that if I adopted Theory B I would be no worse off, as I could always quickly switch back to Theory A, but would be in a happier place. Whenever I get bad days now I do just say to myself over and over again "Theory B, Theory B" and often that can be enough to make me feel better.

Blessed
07-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Thanks for advise that really helps!

angieproc1977
07-24-2013, 01:53 PM
This whole thread is me to a t each nd every post... im going for a 24hour monitor n tomorrow and im pooping myself, since I got the appointment through I have had palps every single day surprisingly im pretty calm tonight and I havent had any today but I keep thinking what if they find something really bad ?? X

ac17
07-25-2013, 08:59 PM
I've been having this symptom for the past two days. The key is to not respond in fear. Acknowledge that you have it but remember that if you obsess over them that will only make you feel more anxious and in turn cause more. Break the cycle! Much easier said then done but that is going to be my game plan at work tomorrow.