PDA

View Full Version : suggestions :)

sazco
07-20-2013, 02:08 PM
so i never had much to do with my parents. my mother didn't know how to guide her kids very well. i've been doing absolutely nothing with my life until now (because of trauma and stress and depression and anxiety). i'm happy for once, i'm finally working towards some goals.

- getting a job.
- maintaining a friendship.
- going out and having fun with people that i feel safe with.
- everyday taking a walk in public to battle my social anxiety.
- battling through my anxieties by just doing the things i need to do and letting my anxiety run through me instead of keeping me tied to my bed and letting my depression get to me.

so i'm asking you all for a favor. i'd like to hear what you have to say, what advice could you give a 23 year old that's scared to death to do anything? i'm not so afraid anymore and i'm going to fight daily to make money and plan for school. i'm going to live a normal life even if it kills me. i have to.

trinidiva
07-20-2013, 08:32 PM
Just take things one day at a time and reward yourself for even the small accomplishments. Its not something you can totally fix over night but by taking baby steps...and writing down your progress, you will start to feel stronger and more confident in your abilities as time goes on.

Also don't beat yourself up if you see marked progress, then have a bad day or two. It will happen. Just keep yourself focused on positive progress.

Good luck to you.....keep us posted!

sazco
08-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Just take things one day at a time and reward yourself for even the small accomplishments. Its not something you can totally fix over night but by taking baby steps...and writing down your progress, you will start to feel stronger and more confident in your abilities as time goes on.

Also don't beat yourself up if you see marked progress, then have a bad day or two. It will happen. Just keep yourself focused on positive progress.

Good luck to you.....keep us posted!

i do get discouraged easily. but ive been working on that. ;) i dont know how to reward myself, i always say yes to myself i didnt grow up with much discipline in my life, mother was never home. dad lived at least an hour away.

update: (8/04/13) - ive been good the past month due to a new med my doctor prescribed to me i cut down on my paxil by 20mgs too. now i take three propanolol a day, and 40 instead of 60 mg tablets of paxil. and the new med... lamotrigine...

the only reason im here is because i could use some more suggestions, and that my anxiety is still acting up for the past two days i havent been taking the lamotrigine because i havent gotten it refilled yet.

solta
08-04-2013, 02:14 PM
Try to say yes to things you usually wouldn't. When I was younger, 15 - 21 or so, I usually staid inside and avoided doing anything. When I turned 24 I decided I had to change and do things with people. It started out pretty small like going to a friends place every now and then. It was a big step for me since I was extremely afraid of being labeled as boring if I didn't have anything to say but no one ever really cared. Reality was so much different from what I thought it was. My social anxieties were "cured" over time by simply saying yes to things. I never did anything stupid, though and neither should you!

For example, a friend of mine talked about his fishing stories and then I asked if he would like to take me with him on trip someday. At the time I had no interest in fishing or anything like that but I went anyways. Don't let the anxiety hold you back! Go out there and try new things even if they sound boring. If you don't like them then at least you've taken a huge leap forwards!

sazco
08-07-2013, 10:42 PM
Try to say yes to things you usually wouldn't. When I was younger, 15 - 21 or so, I usually staid inside and avoided doing anything. When I turned 24 I decided I had to change and do things with people. It started out pretty small like going to a friends place every now and then. It was a big step for me since I was extremely afraid of being labeled as boring if I didn't have anything to say but no one ever really cared. Reality was so much different from what I thought it was. My social anxieties were "cured" over time by simply saying yes to things. I never did anything stupid, though and neither should you!

For example, a friend of mine talked about his fishing stories and then I asked if he would like to take me with him on trip someday. At the time I had no interest in fishing or anything like that but I went anyways. Don't let the anxiety hold you back! Go out there and try new things even if they sound boring. If you don't like them then at least you've taken a huge leap forwards!

thats a good idea. ive been going out more and more lately and it has been helping i noticed.