PDA

View Full Version : Marijuana Possibly Helping Me, Not Sure

gregoriangrant
07-18-2013, 08:13 PM
So I have come to the realization that for the past 3 or 4 years I've suffered from mild/moderate anxiety. Certain days are much worse than others, but in general it's when I'm speaking for extended periods of time or when I'm in public or around a large group. I get really disoriented and depersonalized, and I can't process what people are saying to me right away. Sometimes even with close friends or family. I usually don't smoke marijuana because it tends to induce panic attacks with me in large doses, which is sometimes hard to measure depending on the strength and other factors. However, lately I've been living with a couple of friends who are regular smokers. I've found that the first few times I smoked I had cold hands and feet, racing thoughts, lots of mood swings and general fear. I also had pain in my chest and what felt like a rapid heartbeat. However, in the three weeks to a month after that where I've been smoking about once a day, sometimes less, I find my anxiety getting less and less of a problem when I'm smoking and sometimes even for the rest of the day or into the next day. In fact, aside from making me a little slow and clearly intoxicated, it makes me feel more confident and comfortable in the world around me when I have smoked even small amounts. I feel like every time I smoke, it gets more enjoyable and I feel less pressure going about daily life. The way it feels, it's like I'm opening an instrument panel in my brain whenever I smoke. As I tweak the buttons in there by thinking positively and introspectively, I am able to lock it up again and enjoy a more relaxed demeanour in the days ahead. I have no cravings to smoke and I've gone about 4 days now without having smoked, although I did have some anxiety last night at a social event. I think it was still more controlled than before I started smoking, however.

Sometimes I find that when I smoke a lot and go for a walk, I reflect on the things that have been bothering me over the past months and years, like a falling out with my best friend that really took a toll on me. Sometimes I was even brought to tears while walking, but I felt better about it later. Almost as if I had sorted some of my feelings out while high. I also find myself thinking a lot about my childhood and why I feel the way I do sometimes. I think that's what my anxiety is rooted from. While I know I should probably see a psychiatrist (I did once a few years ago but only once), I'm wondering if I may actually be helping my brain sort itself out by smoking on a semi-regular basis. I really feel like something is happening.

Any thoughts on this?

raggamuffin
07-18-2013, 11:30 PM
Drugs, whether legal or illegal simply mask symptoms. They can never deal with root causes. I myself smoked weed for 7 years daily and I wound up with panic attacks and the start of 2.5 years of anxiety etc. Everyone is different when it comes to cannabis tolerance. But it won't cure you of anxiety.

Anxiety needs to be tackled in a sober state of mind via acceptance of anxiety, understanding anxiety and removing the fear and worry that fuels anxiety.

Ed

kbuzz1
07-19-2013, 07:56 AM
I know exactly what you mean by Cannabis helping you reflect on life. It helps me see thing in a more realistic light and even helps me get to the root of my anxiety. It's also easier to stop taking Cannabis than most of the 'legal' drugs being prescribed by pill pushing doctors. And it may even be less harmful, pending further research. I'm on another Cannabis forum and learned about this stuff... http://dixiebotanicals.com/products/dew-drops-hemp-oil-supplement/

Supposedly people are getting great anxiety suppression results without the high.

On one hand I agree with Raggamuffin that drugs only mask the symptoms. I think this school of thought includes an assumption that anxiety is a learned reaction from life experiences and can be 'unlearned' through behaviour therapy. The other school of thought is that anxiety comes from brain chemistry, cannot be changed with therapy and drugs are necessary to live with a normal level of anxiety. This has yet to be determined.

I think the most important thing to consider with Cannabis is there is a definite line between using it for medical purposes and becoming a burnout. Some smoke daily and lead very productive lives while others can barely peel themselves off their parent's couch to grab another bag of Cheetos. Just be responsible.

octopus
07-19-2013, 10:42 AM
Dont do drugs

kbuzz1
07-19-2013, 12:53 PM
Great insight. Does that include caffeine and Tylenol?

MEGO
07-19-2013, 03:19 PM
It may help in the moment, when u are feeling really anxiety ridden but in the long run it causes more severe depression and anxiety!! if you look up the side affects of pot it will list anxiety and depression.. Not good :/