PDA

View Full Version : A step in the right direction

GeneralWorrier
07-18-2013, 12:53 PM
I know it's not much but yesterday I actually plucked up the courage to go to my doctor and ask for help, I got so sick of how this takes over my life I just thought there has to be something I can do about it. To have this take over my life at just 17 is ridiculous and all the excuses I use not to go out with my friends are getting way out of hand, they just think I'm boring and don't want to go anywhere but I just don't have the heart or courage to tell them the truth :(

Well anyway, I went to my doctor and he has referred me to go somewhere and see someone to try and get better again. I know it doesn't sound much but I'm actually so proud of myself for going there and speaking out, now I'm not the only person who knows about it and hopefully I can get sorted out for going to University next year. I know I probably won't be fully better in just a year but maybe, just maybe I might be able to do normal things and not have to worry.

I thought I'd share it with you guys as you're probably the only people that understand

bonehead
07-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Way to go!!!

str8trippin
07-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Awesome! Any positive step is a HUGE accomplishment that you should be proud of yourself for! And sometimes, taking that first step can be the hardest...and letting someone in can also be a challenge, but can also be one of the most beneficial things that you can do because you NEED to have someone to reassure you and provide you the support. Why haven't you told your friends? Are you worried about what they might think?

GeneralWorrier
07-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Way to go!!!

Thank you! :)

GeneralWorrier
07-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Awesome! Any positive step is a HUGE accomplishment that you should be proud of yourself for! And sometimes, taking that first step can be the hardest...and letting someone in can also be a challenge, but can also be one of the most beneficial things that you can do because you NEED to have someone to reassure you and provide you the support. Why haven't you told your friends? Are you worried about what they might think?

I haven't told anyone not even my family, I mean I've tried to at least but they're really old fashioned so don't believe me or use it against me kind if thing. As for my friends yeah I am worried about that I guess :/ they're really good friends that I'm so close to so I don't think it would bother them but its just in the back of my mind all the time that they might think/treat me differently once I'd told them. Silly I know but I guess I can't help it :/ I think my tutors at sixth form are getting worried as they know something is wrong and tomorrow I've got to see my head of year for a meeting so that should be fun. I don't really know what I'm going to say in all honesty, she's been trying to get hold of me for a while, but tomorrow I won't be able to avoid her. This might be the time to tell someone but I know they'll over react about something like this :(

str8trippin
07-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Having a support system is SO important, so being able to talk to your friends, teachers, whoever about the things you are dealing with might be a great help! It takes some of the pressure off of you because you aren't worried about the prospect of telling them anymore, and will probably find that most people are going to be by your side and be supportive of you. If you have friends you are close to, there's no reason to think they'd start treating you any differently. Some of them could be worried about you, too, and you don't even know it. I would say, as hard as it is, to be honest with people because then they can help!

I haven't told anyone not even my family, I mean I've tried to at least but they're really old fashioned so don't believe me or use it against me kind if thing. As for my friends yeah I am worried about that I guess :/ they're really good friends that I'm so close to so I don't think it would bother them but its just in the back of my mind all the time that they might think/treat me differently once I'd told them. Silly I know but I guess I can't help it :/ I think my tutors at sixth form are getting worried as they know something is wrong and tomorrow I've got to see my head of year for a meeting so that should be fun. I don't really know what I'm going to say in all honesty, she's been trying to get hold of me for a while, but tomorrow I won't be able to avoid her. This might be the time to tell someone but I know they'll over react about something like this :(