PDA

View Full Version : Having a panick moment!

Stephj526
07-17-2013, 09:11 AM
Don't know why. Keep feeling like I'm going to pass out, can't pull it together. Head tightness, feeling like eyes are closing. Can't pull it together at all. Shaking.

Heart rate only in mid 70's, oxygen level at 98 according to my pulse oximiter.

Saw my cardiologist yesterday, know I'm not having heart issues. But am really freaking out about this pass out feeling.

Stephj526
07-17-2013, 09:17 AM
Damnit. Now I keep feeling like I'm not breathing right. Keep telling myself to ignore it and keep busy but it's not helping.
I'm the back of my head I keep hearing myself think well what if this isn't just your anxiety this time. Ughhh

raggamuffin
07-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Head tension is a vert common symptom, as is feeling feint and dizzy. Try neck tension stretches/exercises every couple of hours for a few weeks. Keepy hydrated. But don't reach for the neck to check pulse or any BP or oximiters. These often become an obsession. Anxiety will play havoc with these. I mean anything can raise your BP/heart rate from standing up, feeling tired, eating, walking etc etc. It's not a sound check to make in all honesty. What is needed is to allow the symptoms to occur. yes they feel horrid but respond with abolsute apathy. Let them come and go.Responding emtionally is what makes it feel worse. Fixating on the pains and symptoms or convincing yourself it's something other than anxiety. This is the fear and worry that is the bread and butter for anxiety. It's what it feeds off of. The sooner you get on with your day to day and keep yourself distracted the sooner the symptoms lessen or disappear.

It's an uphill journey the road to recovery but the first step is acceptance. With this you gradually remove the fear. Remind yourself you can't be hurt by these feelings and symptoms. Yes they're horrid but fighting it won't get rid of them and panicking will just make them linger for longer. Keep your chin up, read more about anxiety, understand it and remove the fear.

A Life At Last is a good book to read. Very helpful and written simply. it's by Paul David.

Hope you feel better soon.

Ed

Stephj526
07-17-2013, 10:57 AM
I know I'm not having a stroke, but i keep feeling like my face is drooping now too. And I was feeling better for the last hour.

Stephj526
07-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Head tension is a vert common symptom, as is feeling feint and dizzy. Try neck tension stretches/exercises every couple of hours for a few weeks. Keepy hydrated. But don't reach for the neck to check pulse or any BP or oximiters. These often become an obsession. Anxiety will play havoc with these. I mean anything can raise your BP/heart rate from standing up, feeling tired, eating, walking etc etc. It's not a sound check to make in all honesty. What is needed is to allow the symptoms to occur. yes they feel horrid but respond with abolsute apathy. Let them come and go.Responding emtionally is what makes it feel worse. Fixating on the pains and symptoms or convincing yourself it's something other than anxiety. This is the fear and worry that is the bread and butter for anxiety. It's what it feeds off of. The sooner you get on with your day to day and keep yourself distracted the sooner the symptoms lessen or disappear.

It's an uphill journey the road to recovery but the first step is acceptance. With this you gradually remove the fear. Remind yourself you can't be hurt by these feelings and symptoms. Yes they're horrid but fighting it won't get rid of them and panicking will just make them linger for longer. Keep your chin up, read more about anxiety, understand it and remove the fear.

A Life At Last is a good book to read. Very helpful and written simply. it's by Paul David.

Hope you feel better soon.

Ed

Thank you, that helps.

raggamuffin
07-17-2013, 11:12 AM
It does take time. I know we'd all love an overnight cure but unfortunately there isn't one. I know dizziness and feeling feint along with the headaches at the same time is one of the worst set of symptoms to go through. But as horrid and "real" as the pains are they're not going to hurt you. If you've yet to reach the acceptance stage keep reminding yourself that you can't be physically hurt by these symptoms at least. But it does take practice. For years I responded the same way everytime Pain > Oh God what's wrong with me > Google Symptoms > Pains got worse > Feel worse Mentally

Round and round for hours/days/months/years.

To break the cycle acceptance is key as is removing the fear and worry. These 2 emotions are counter productive. but we've been ahrd wired by moths or years of stress to instinctively react this way. It takes time to react rationally. But the more you practice it the more it becomes instinctual.

Ed