PDA

View Full Version : Home school?

jrreed360
09-24-2007, 01:53 PM
I'm a sophomore in high school this year, and i'm suffering from a panic disorder sense around May. I used to have anxiety problems when i was around 9 or 10. That was when i had my first panic attack. School is just to tough for me this year. I'm going to the nurse every single dy because this anxiety is making me sick to my stomach. I just started taking paxil Friday. I told the nurse that, and she looked it up on the internet to inform herself more on it. Looking over her shoulder i saw the symptoms and the one was seizure. That set me off. I called my mom to come pick me up. I'm falling behind on a lot of school work, because i go to the nurse usually 45min every day. Which is atleast a whole period. My sister has offered to home school me. She knows my troubles, sense every sibling(4) in my family has had anxiety problems and 2 of them have taken meds for it. I don't want to isolate myself from my friends and everything. I know i'm not being as social as i used to be either, and i'm afraid of my social life getting much worse to the point where i wont even talk to my family. It scares me a lot to even think about that. I want to know what you guys think about home school? Would you recommend it? I'm not planning on getting home schooled for the rest of my life, but i gotta let my anxiey cool down somehow. School is the worst for me.

CallMeCrazy
09-25-2007, 11:07 PM
No, I believe going homeschooled will make everything worse. You might make yourself afraid to leave the house.

V for Victor
10-01-2007, 07:15 AM
I was homeschooled until 9th grade. There are pros and cons to it.

It does get you out of the system and allows you to think things through for yourself and work at your own pace.

But, for kids like you and me who have anxiety, it may not be the best choice. Being isolated at home is not going to help with your anxiety, it will only make it worse.

If your siblings have anxiety, it's definately safe to say it runs in your family. What you're dealing with is a wiring problem in your brain, and it won't go away unless you take matters into your own hands.

At this point, I'd recommend seeing a therapist, reading some books on the subject, and perhaps some medication. You don't have to take Paxil if you're uncomfortable with it.

I take Citalopram, and it has worked miracles for me over the last year. It has a very low incidence of side effects, and the most common side effects are miled.