PDA

View Full Version : Why?

manz82
07-16-2013, 11:27 AM
I've been pretty calm and collected lately. Had the occasional glitch but been pretty ok. Until today - got in my car this afternoon and it was really hot! I felt like I couldn't breath! So I wound the windows down and tried to drive calmly. Nope! Didn't happen! Panicked big time - heart racing out of control, lightheaded, shaking, but the biggest thing, I couldn't catch my breath and I was frightened! I didn't even pull over which was dangerous. Why did this happen?

HealingTime
07-16-2013, 11:31 AM
That feeling of suffocation from the heat could have triggered it. Maybe next time leave the doors open for a bit to air it out?

frankzito
07-16-2013, 11:33 AM
I've been pretty calm and collected lately. Had the occasional glitch but been pretty ok. Until today - got in my car this afternoon and it was really hot! I felt like I couldn't breath! So I wound the windows down and tried to drive calmly. Nope! Didn't happen! Panicked big time - heart racing out of control, lightheaded, shaking, but the biggest thing, I couldn't catch my breath and I was frightened! I didn't even pull over which was dangerous. Why did this happen?

Soon as you get in there, and it's hot like that. That's not much oxygen at all.

manz82
07-16-2013, 12:34 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought when I got home and calmed down. The thing is, I was pretty wreck less while driving in a literal blind panic. I sped, cut through traffic and basically put myself out risk in my eagerness to get home. I should have pulled over - I know that now, so why didn't I? It was really dangerous what I did, and part of the reason I suffer with anxiety is because I was involved in a really bad car accident, so you'd think I'd know better!

frankzito
07-16-2013, 12:38 PM
If you have anxiety, reach in and start your air first, stifling heat like that will get you every time!
:-)

HealingTime
07-16-2013, 12:42 PM
Why didn't you pull over is the million dollar question. When I have an attack I know damn well I shouldn't do the things I do but I can't stop myself when in an attack. All logic goes out the window and I just want to do what I can to get away from it or fix it or end it. The key is, I think, to start to recognize the attack BEFORE it gets to that point where logic goes out the window. Recognize it and step away from the dangerous situation before driving the car. Maybe open the windows, air it out, and get out and walk around and talk to yourself while you still have your wits about you.

manz82
07-16-2013, 12:57 PM
Thanks guys, I really needed the reassurance and advice. I've never been very good with the heat but I've never felt like I can't breath before. It really freaked me out!
If it ever happens again I will take myself out of the situation, like Healingtime says, and calm myself before my rational side completely flips out like it did today. I just have a massive problem with driving in general, but I'm working on it. Thanks again. X

sharacel91
07-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Manz82, when I get on a hot car I can suddenly get a sick feeling in my stomach and headaches an then my heart will start racing I've never been to sure why this is either but it's only ben lately as I live in the UK and at the moment we have got a heat wave.

HealingTime
07-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Thanks guys, I really needed the reassurance and advice. I've never been very good with the heat but I've never felt like I can't breath before. It really freaked me out!
If it ever happens again I will take myself out of the situation, like Healingtime says, and calm myself before my rational side completely flips out like it did today. I just have a massive problem with driving in general, but I'm working on it. Thanks again. X

Good for you! You got this!

manz82
07-16-2013, 02:55 PM
Manz82, when I get on a hot car I can suddenly get a sick feeling in my stomach and headaches an then my heart will start racing I've never been to sure why this is either but it's only ben lately as I live in the UK and at the moment we have got a heat wave.

I'm in the Uk also. Where abouts are you from? The heat is unbelievable at the moment, isn't it? X

manz82
07-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Good for you! You got this!

Thank you, Healing time. X I hope so!

vic
07-16-2013, 03:26 PM
It's because we are not all that used to this weather here in the uk. I was the exact same today went to pick my hubby up from work at 2.30 as soon as I opened my car door the heat came at me then my windows wer wide open and hot air was just circulating around my car and I think cuz we are breathing in the hot air we panic like we av no air lol I ad a sun lotion in a spray bottle ad to pour it all out and told my hubby to get me a bottle if water from shop on way to sch run and add to water spray my self ;) I felt a relieve from that then