PDA

View Full Version : There is always something to worry about!

ConstantlyWorried
07-14-2013, 05:35 PM
Hi

My name is Melissa and I'm 26 years old. I've been suffering from anxiety since I was a kid, and as I've been getting older it's been getting worse. I'm constantly worried about something, thinking that the worse can happen, and even the little things can be a trigger to spend days on end worried about something. For example, on my everyday life I'm always worried that I said something I shouldn't have, that I did something wrong that will make me lose my friends, my job, get my family angry at me. Even after a great date with someone I'm worried that I won't get a call back because I did or said something stupid, and even the slightest gesture or action from that person makes me analyze everything and to me it usually means that something's wrong. I replay in my head conversations and situations I've had, and always find something to worry about.

If I sit down, breathe and think objectively about everything I know it's stupid to feel this way. I don't have a perfect life, but things are not going bad for me and a lot of opportunities have opened to me in the last few weeks. I can't live like this any more, because it doesn't let me enjoy anything that happens. I wish I could just have a careless attitude, living day by day, not worried about what's going to happen tomorrow, thinking that whatever I said or happened in the past it's already said and done, and that thinking about it days on end won't fix anything. The consequences of this is that when it gets bad I can't sleep, I have this sensation on my stomach that won't go away, it won't let me eat, my heart beats faster and I'm paralyzed, in the sense that I can't focus on anything even if I have things to do. I have to travel tomorrow because of my job, and I haven't even started to pack because I'm not able to focus on that, and this is a very important trip.

I decided to join this forum because even if all of us are different and have different struggles, it helps to feel that you're not alone, and there are people out there that can really understand.

houndtang
07-14-2013, 05:45 PM
Hi

My name is Melissa and I'm 26 years old. I've been suffering from anxiety since I was a kid, and as I've been getting older it's been getting worse. I'm constantly worried about something, thinking that the worse can happen, and even the little things can be a trigger to spend days on end worried about something. For example, on my everyday life I'm always worried that I said something I shouldn't have, that I did something wrong that will make me lose my friends, my job, get my family angry at me. Even after a great date with someone I'm worried that I won't get a call back because I did or said something stupid, and even the slightest gesture or action from that person makes me analyze everything and to me it usually means that something's wrong. I replay in my head conversations and situations I've had, and always find something to worry about.

If I sit down, breathe and think objectively about everything I know it's stupid to feel this way. I don't have a perfect life, but things are not going bad for me and a lot of opportunities have opened to me in the last few weeks. I can't live like this any more, because it doesn't let me enjoy anything that happens. I wish I could just have a careless attitude, living day by day, not worried about what's going to happen tomorrow, thinking that whatever I said or happened in the past it's already said and done, and that thinking about it days on end won't fix anything. The consequences of this is that when it gets bad I can't sleep, I have this sensation on my stomach that won't go away, it won't let me eat, my heart beats faster and I'm paralyzed, in the sense that I can't focus on anything even if I have things to do. I have to travel tomorrow because of my job, and I haven't even started to pack because I'm not able to focus on that, and this is a very important trip.

I decided to join this forum because even if all of us are different and have different struggles, it helps to feel that you're not alone, and there are people out there that can really understand.

I can empathise with the way your mind works Melissa - I do similar things, analysing way too much and finding new things to worry about. I think I'm actually anxious about being anxious - that stomach sensation in particular. I'm trying meditation and some other techniques to see if that helps any.

ConstantlyWorried
07-14-2013, 05:55 PM
I can empathise with the way your mind works Melissa - I do similar things, analysing way too much and finding new things to worry about. I think I'm actually anxious about being anxious - that stomach sensation in particular. I'm trying meditation and some other techniques to see if that helps any.

I've read that some people find yoga very useful because of the breathings techniques. I've been thinking about trying this as well, my constant worry is ruining everything :-(

Sourcon33
07-15-2013, 10:36 AM
I know exactly how you feel. It always seems like there is something you can be worrying about. Then when you aren't worrying about anything your mind realizes that and tells you that you should be worrying. I know it is very hard to deal with. The thing that helps me is positive thinking. I know this sounds simple but it is very hard when you are in this state of mind. But if you just take a few minutes and really think, take whatever you are worrying about and break it up. Turn whatever you are worrying about back into a problem instead of it being a crisis. As hard as it is to think about what you have been worrying about it will help. Just try and take your problem and accept it for what it is. Realize that it is your anxiety that is making you worry like this. It isn't a big deal and you are going to the worst case scenario even though in reality everything will be alright. I also constantly worry but with a positive attitude things can really change. Try and wake up and look forward to the day. Do something that you enjoy. Call someone that you haven't talked to in a while. Something I like to do is turn on some relaxing noises or some meditation music. Just listen to it and let every negative thought come to you. Accept every single thought that comes to you. Take them in and just say I don't care I am thinking irrationally. Just let them all come to you and don't fight them. Take them all as "what if" situations. You don't know what will happen and that is the beauty of it. I know this is hard but with practice you will be able to do it. You will still have hard days but if you have a positive attitude it will soon become a habit and days will just get easier. I hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.