PDA

View Full Version : Major Health Anxiety

Jack V
07-12-2013, 11:04 AM
Hi everyone,

I had bad acne in Oct. 2011 that was causing me major anxiety, my dermatologist prescribed me tetracycline. At first I was hesitant, but he assured me it was safe. I looked up all possible side effects on the Mayo Clinic and other sites. It seemed as long as I didn't have any adverse reactions after the first couple of weeks I would be fine. My dad took it for a long time when he was young too. I kept taking it as my dermatologist was only so happy to keep filling out refills for me. It worked on my acne too. I took it for 1 1/2 years.

But I've been getting terrible stomach pains, bad diahrea to for 3 months. Though I did have one month where I was relatively fine. It can go away for a bit but then it comes back. My family doctor won't give me a referral to a stomach doctor as he thinks I'm a hypochondriac and gave me a referral to psycho therapy. I feel so frustrated. I've stopped the tetracycline. I do believe the tetracycline may be responsible. It's giving me major anxiety

I am now turning to my clonazepam as it seems to be the only thing that eases my pain.

I feel so frustrated that I did this to myself (blaming myself) and it may be permanent and may ruin my relationship with my girlfriend. I keep replaying in my head what my life would be like if i never took tetracycline and how much better it would be. All this is causing me major anxiety. I wake up to a wave of anxiety.

I am frustrating my girlfriend because I keep tossing and turning in the early morning to get comfortable because of the pain. and it wakes her up

All my family, my girlfriend, my pharmacist and my family doctor do not believe that the tetracycline is responsible for my current condition.

Maybe I'm just a paranoid freak.

But this is overwhelming me, mentally and physically.

Jack V
07-14-2013, 05:32 PM
Any input would be very appreciated :)

defmunel
07-14-2013, 06:27 PM
I would agree with your doc. My brothers took the same medication for their acne for years. None of them had any reactions to it when they stopped.

Although I don't think your doc is being vet sensitive to your complaints, I do agree that it's probably not the medication that has caused the issue.

Quite honestly, when you're wrapped up in your fears and anxieties, it's very difficult to see the realistic view of things. When you can get outside of the fear, then you can see reality. It's a hard thing to do, but it can be done! And not allowing yourself to get so wrapped up in every single physical thing that happens to you.

When things happen to me, physically I mean, I remind myself of what could be REALISTICALLY causing the symptoms. Everyone gets diarreah, everyone gets nauseous, everyone gets heart palps. It's when you go to the what ifs that start causing the harm.

Once you've spoken to your doctor, and he gives you the ok that nothing is wrong, then you need to trust.

A primary care doctors responsibility is to look for signs..symptoms of illnesses. That's what they went to school for. Your job is to give them more trust.

Work on your anxiety first. Dont say "but the symptoms are causing my anxiety!". I've been there, and I've said the same thing. Really, anxiety causes the symptoms. Stop worrying about the symptoms. When they come, recognize them. "oh, there you are again." and move on. Once you give the anxiety less of your attention, the better and more symptom free you will become.