PDA

View Full Version : Moving Across Country with Severe GAD, Panic Disorder, AND Agoraphobia?!!

Hollywood-1987
07-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Hello, I am a 26 year old male (living with parents) dealing with severe Generalized Anxiety, Panic Disorder, Agoraphobia, and Emetophobia. I have had anxiety all my life...But for the most part was able to deal with it. I moved out of my parents house when I was 19. When I got my first apartment...My anxiety was very high and hard to live with...Although for the most part I was still able to leave home. I then move out of state (which was kinda difficult...But I adjusted quick and was fine). I then ran into financial problems and was forced to live with my parents for a short time until I could get back on my feet. I soon found a job and began working...80% anxiety free. But things slowly went down hill as my anxiety returned. I started missing work and was eventually fired. Since then my anxiety has become the worst it has ever been!!! I can't hardly eat...Can't leave home unless I NEED to and even then its extremely hard and I have several panic attacks that day (and days leading up to me having to leave home). I have been seeing a primary doctor and psychologist and prescribed:

4MG Klonopin daily
1MG Lorazepam daily (as needed)
50MG Seroquel (Just got that and haven't started yet)

My problem is my parents have separated and are selling the house and getting their own apartments. I am currently on disability...But where I live...I couldn't rent a cardboard box with the money I am getting!!! But I have found an apartment (about 1,000 miles away...Where I previously moved to) which I can afford. I lived there for 3 years and know the town very well...But I also know my current town well...And have panic attacks driving 5 miles to my doctors office.

Has anyone with severe anxiety and agoraphobia been put in a position where you have to move long (short or long distance)? How were you able to cope with it. I am pretty sure that once I get moved into my new apartment...I will be ok (or at least I hope!!!) but I am extremely nervous!!! My scheduled move date is end of August...Almost 2 months away and I already am feeling way more anxious. What can I do to successfully make this move with having a complete breakdown?!!

Thanks for taking the time to read this :) Any answers will be greatly appreciated!!!

str8trippin
07-11-2013, 01:39 PM
The last time I moved I was in the middle of a very rough separation and divorce, and my Dad has passed away not long before that...I didn't know how I was going to make it all happen, but I knew it was necessary and that it could mean positive changes in the future, and looking back I'm all the better for it now. My best advice is to do everything you can to prepare over the next two months and not wait until the last minute and be trying to rush through the move. Take every step you can to be organized, both physically and mentally, that way you can be confident in the fact that you are ready. Make sure to stay positive about it! Moving is stressful no matter what, and for us with anxiety, normal things become stressful and stressful things become even more stressful. Don't let the anxiety have control of your move! Make a list of all the positive things that could come from moving and focus on those! I'm hopefully planning a long distance move next year, and I'm trying to prepare myself now so that when it comes down to it, my anxiety can't take over. Take it one day at a time and just remember that you are in control, and that you can get through it!

Hollywood-1987
07-15-2013, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the advice str8trippin!!! Your right...If I can make a list of all the positive things that will come out of this move, I can have things to look forward to. I know the initial move will be hard...But with a list of positive things...I know that things will get better and I know this is for the best. Unfortunately, being extremely anxious makes it hard for anything to look positive, but again...I need to take it one step at a time and make this transition as smooth as possible.

Thanks again for the help...I will try to update after the move :)

And good luck next year on your long distance move!!!

oddsoul
07-16-2013, 03:55 AM
I've been in a somewhat similar situation, had to make a major move when I was in a very bad spot. (I have panic attacks, variable agoraphobia, major depression, and ptsd. And the point I had to move I was literally barely getting out of bed from depression, had serious trouble going out alone, and oly had access to phone therapy.)

What made things bearable was a) I had help. Even just people to sit with me and hang out while I packed, which is something that makes me very anxious.

b)I knew where I was moving well and had providers already set up there. (Something I'd really suggest you work on, so there'll be help set up.)

c)What I did for looking at positive things was mostly what I liked about the place.

D

Hollywood-1987
07-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Thanks Oddsoul...Glad to know there are other people out there that have been in my situation...And made it through ok :)

And yes...I have spoken with my doctors and they are going to help set me up with medical care in my new location and get them my up to date medical records so the transition should be smooth!!!

I do know the location I am moving too pretty well as I lived there for about 3 years (but haven't been back there in several years!!!). I guess any change in my life makes me extremely anxious (and sometimes have panic attacks just laying in bed relaxing!!!). I think it is even harder knowing my family will be over 1,000 miles away. But like both of you have said...I need to look at the positive things...And this new location is much cheaper cost of living, nicer location (in my opinion) and WARMER!!! I live in northern New England now and 10+ feet of snow per winter and below zero weather is very common...And I am moving South where you never need more than a sweatshirt :D As you can tell I love warm weather. So yeah...VERY ANXIOUS...But I think hiding under all that anxiety is some excitement and confidence I will overcome this disorder and become a better person!!!

Thanks again for all the help :) It really is nice to know that I'm not alone!!!