PDA

View Full Version : What helps you?

aclockworkrystn
07-10-2013, 05:15 PM
What have you found can help calm you while you're feeling anxious or having a panic attack? Sometimes I unfortunately get to the point of no return where the panic gets so bad and I just have to ride it out. But sometimes I am lucky and am able to find comfort in the following things:

- Drinking Gatorade. I'm sure it's just a placebo type thing but sometimes I feel instantly more calm if I have some Gatorade.
- Eating. This only works if I'm not too anxious. I get extremely anxious when I'm hungry so sometimes I feel better as soon as I eat.
- Stepping outside. As long as its not too hot out, the fresh air usually helps a bit and I also don't feel trapped like I sometimes do inside.
- Reading anxiety symptoms online or watching videos about how to calm down sometimes are very helpful
- Getting a big deep breath in. I yawn a lot when I'm anxious and I feel better when I can get a big breath of air in.
- Write down how I am feeling, and just write whatever pops into my head.. Sometimes I get so into it that its able to distract me enough to calm down.
- Cry. The release feels so good sometimes, to just let it all out.

I'd love to hear what works for you, I am always looking for different things to try to calm myself I while anxious.

frankzito
07-10-2013, 05:27 PM
These are all good ones, well said. I definitely get anxious when I'm hungry and feel better after eating. Had a Gatorade with me at beside last night and water lol

str8trippin
07-11-2013, 11:44 AM
I SO wish Gatorade was more beneficial to me...my doctor told me it might help with my tension headaches because of the electrolytes, but it just gives me heartburn on top of the tension headaches! I agree with you on most though...stepping outside is sometimes a GREAT help to me because I start feeling stuffy and claustrophobic when I get anxious. And people act like crying is such a negative thing sometimes, but it feels so good to just release everything that's in there. I tend to be super emotional at the drop of a hate lately because of my anxiety...seems like I cry at least once a day anymore. It's frustrating, but I always feel better afterwards!

raggamuffin
07-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Distraction, correct breathing, muscle relxation, fire staffing, playing with my cat, playing a video game, drinking cold water

Ed