PDA

View Full Version : How often do you check your blood pressure?

Blessed
07-09-2013, 08:00 PM
So be honest here, how often do you check your blood pressure daily, are you obsessed like me and have a cuff permanently attached to your arm??? I hope I'm not the only one with a severe OCD case of checking blood pressure all the time. Please respond and let me know if you struggle with this. Or if you have overcome this I would love some great advise. Thanks!!!

antcee72
07-09-2013, 08:10 PM
I'm always checking blood pressure. I'm obssessed with it :(. I was ok for a while then recently started checking again. I do it for the heart rate too! It's crazy and if you know of a solution to stop please let me know 😏

Blessed
07-09-2013, 08:13 PM
I'm always checking blood pressure. I'm obssessed with it :(. I was ok for a while then recently started checking again. I do it for the heart rate too! It's crazy and if you know of a solution to stop please let me know dde0f

Same here. I go in spurts ill check it once a day then twice a day then 4 5 6 7 8 times a day. One day I checked it 23 times . Yes I know completely ridiculous . But I felt if I didn't Check if I would miss something. So ready to throw machine in the dump

antcee72
07-09-2013, 08:22 PM
I was thinking of throwing it out too but I would probably have more anxiety! :/. I originally purchased it because I have white coat syndrome. Do you have that too?

Blessed
07-09-2013, 08:25 PM
I was thinking of throwing it out too but I would probably have more anxiety! :/. I originally purchased it because I have white coat syndrome. Do you have that too?

Yes and I am supposed to record at least 2 readings a day. If they are too high I keep on taking it until its where I think it needs to be. Then the more I take it the higher it becomes then before I know it I have a dozen higher than normal readings because I am all jacked up, the vicious cycle never ends

antcee72
07-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Same here to the point they put me on .25 mg metroprolol. But lately my bp has been low like 98/60. So I have to call the dr. I'm afraid to just stop taking it.

Bam77
07-09-2013, 08:34 PM
I check mine way too often. Ive checked it probably 20 times today..it keeps going up every time I check it. My last reading was 150/88..so now Im worried.

Blessed
07-09-2013, 08:40 PM
I check mine way too often. Ive checked it probably 20 times today..it keeps going up every time I check it. My last reading was 150/88..so now Im worried.

Mine did that today and went to 133/102 totally freaked me out but I managed to stay sane then when I got home I lost it and cried for several hours . I want to tell myself this is ok and I will be fine but its not working

Blessed
07-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Also does checking your bp that many times a day hurt the blood vessels in your arm?

Shepard
07-09-2013, 09:37 PM
I used to check mine 3-4 times a day, I hardly check it at all now..all it does is cause anxiety when you're obsessing over it.

acetone
07-10-2013, 09:01 AM
I never check it.

Blessed
07-10-2013, 09:25 AM
I never check it.

Are you on any bp meds if you don't mind me asking? Have you ever had any trouble with your bp?

u4ea
07-10-2013, 10:14 AM
I've become pretty obsessed with taking my own BP too! I also have white coat hypertension, but the MD put me on Metoprolol .25mg to "slow my heart", even though as I was freaking out at the Dr's, my heart rate was 108 max - he said I have tachycardia, I said 108 isn't that high considering I'm in a panic.

I abruptly stopped taking Toprol a few weeks ago.

antcee72
07-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Did you have any side effects from going off the metropolol. I'm on the same dosage for the same reason and I want to stop taking it because my bp is pretty low.

Blessed
07-10-2013, 10:38 AM
I used to check mine 3-4 times a day, I hardly check it at all now..all it does is cause anxiety when you're obsessing over it.

Please tell me how to stop. For past two days my bottom number is in the 90s and I have checked far too many times . I wang to know how to stop this. The anxiety of if alone is what's making me nuts

u4ea
07-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Did you have any side effects from going off the metropolol. I'm on the same dosage for the same reason and I want to stop taking it because my bp is pretty low.

No - in fact, I feel better. It made me feel kinda spaced out....

I know there are all these warnings "DO NOT STOP TAKING", etc - that only matters if you were on it for heart failure, or have history of heart attacks and similar heart issues; with anxiety, you don't have a heart problem, it's in our head! Hahaha

Bam77
07-10-2013, 02:43 PM
Please tell me how to stop. For past two days my bottom number is in the 90s and I have checked far too many times . I wang to know how to stop this. The anxiety of if alone is what's making me nuts

Give it to a friend, family member, neighbor. I gave mine to my mom today. She just got out of the hospital. She needs it more than me.

trinidiva
07-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Since getting off my bp meds, I only check it about 2-3 times a week. I checked it more when I first got off the meds but now, not so much.

acetone
07-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Are you on any bp meds if you don't mind me asking? Have you ever had any trouble with your bp?

No, I'm not on any BP meds and I have never had any trouble with my BP. My mother has high blood pressure but even she rarely gets it checked.

Blessed
07-11-2013, 05:53 AM
No, I'm not on any BP meds and I have never had any trouble with my BP. My mother has high blood pressure but even she rarely gets it checked.

Thanks for sharing. I hope I can break free from this impulse checking soon its just making me worse