PDA

View Full Version : Don't know where to turn, on a constant roller coaster of emotions every day...

kristinavb
07-06-2013, 06:13 AM
Hi all-

About 3 months ago I lost my first dog that was my own very suddenly. It was a serious hit to me and I think was the final straw and tipping point when it comes down to my mental state. I was essentially reduced to a sobbing mess for about a month and completely retracted from most of my friends and things that generally I enjoyed. I stopped walking my dogs (I have others,) stopped taking them anywhere, stopped going to the dog park, essentially just gave up on everything. 3 months in things are not as dreary (concerning my lost pet), however most of those habits haven't changed.

I go from listlessness and apathy, to anxiousness and feeling like i'm crawling out of my skin and then usually top it off with a wave of depression and hopelessness at the end of the day. This usually happens daily. Most nights I have difficulty sleeping and usually remain awake tossing and turning until I am just too physically tired and I am able to surrender. I do have my highs, although that's usually when i'm around a very small group of specific people. Sometimes if I hit a hard point of one of those emotions though, even that becomes a very hard struggle. I have recently (as in last week) seen a psychologist and will continue to see him weekly. I find myself even "faking it until I make it" in front of him which appears to be a common coping mechanism with me. He thinks and I guess I agree there has been a lot of issues going on with my life for longer than this 3 month stint and this is just the point where it's all falling out and i'm finally being forced to deal with it all.

He suggested I may want to talk to my MD about medication, but I am nervous in that respect. I have had an issue with weight for quite some time now and certainly am an "emotional eater" and the majority of anti-depressants seem to work very much against my already present weight problem. Wellbutrin (Buproprion) seems to be the only one who lacks this but my roller coaster of apathetic/anxiety/depression emotions seems like this would be counter-intuitive since many say they actually get anxious and angry.

I know this is kind of all over the place, i'm just looking for someone else who was in a similar situation.