PDA

View Full Version : Beta Blockers and Lorazepam

Missy23
09-16-2007, 04:16 AM
Hi all,

Please could somebody tell me if it is ok to to take beta blockers and lorazepam together. I have been prescribed beta blockers in the past but I am currently on a course of lorazepam. However, I have to give a presentation for an interview at work next week and I'm going into panic mode! I'm currently taking 1mg daily of lorazepam and would like to know if it would be ok to take one beta blocker the night before my presentation and one the morning of? :unsure:

Any views or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Stormy
09-27-2007, 10:33 AM
You need to consult a doctor, not a forum. I just did a google search and what I did see wasn't conclusive enough to give you any good advice.

Phil
09-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Why are you in panic mode?? In my experience lorazepam should do the business. 1mg is quite sufficient to ensure that any anxiety you feel prior to presentation should not be too prominent. I have found that has soon as you begin your presentation the lorazepam kicks in and you can actually feel quite confident.
As far as I know taking the beta blockers aint gonna do any harm from what you are describing. But really, beta blockers are mainly for lowering hypertension, but I have known many sports stars using them as it slows the heart beat thus aiding more composure. But I still feel that the lorazepam ought to aid you better than beta blockers. The only problem I found on benzodiazepines is forgetfulness, so make sure you have everything written down!!

alankay
02-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Yes, you can take both but it should be for a reason. Verify with your doc but benzos work on GABA and betablockers on adrenaline. For racing heart/tremor beta-blockers are great. Psychological anxiety, ativan(lorazepam) should be great so learn to distinguish what kind of anxiety symptom you're trying to combat with the meds. As always take as little as needed only when needed. Feel free to ask anything here at any time. :)Alankay

scared44
02-08-2013, 01:28 PM
You really need to see a doctor to make sure it's ok to take both drugs!!

jamus75
02-08-2013, 03:37 PM
I have been prescribed both and asked my doc the same question. Actually two doctors have told me they are fine to mix. Just watch for increased drowsiness. Another thing you can do is call the pharmacist.

laurandisorder
02-09-2013, 12:19 AM
^^^ what this guy said. Speak to your pharmacist or doctor!

Good luck with the presentation - I get some public speaking anxiety, but it is usually worse beforehand or as I am waiting. Once I get going I try to channel the anxiety into humour and dominating the preso. I'm sure you'll be fine - and you'll be proud afterwards!!