PDA

View Full Version : Does this happen to you?

epollock
07-05-2013, 01:07 AM
Hi everyone - -
My name is Liz and I have PTSD coupled with Severe Paranoia. THANKFULLY - I have all this crap under control which is great because for the longest time (and Im sure most if not all can relate) it had total control over me! I work, I function very well in society - in crowds and I am even starting to travel more!!

My question is: When I go out with my friends and have a couple drinks, I am fine. I have 3-6 drinks (6 is rare) and I am totally fine! BUT, when I get home and lay down, my heart goes a billion miles a min. I have gone to the doc and they said it was my anxiety but I really dont think so.

Does anyone else have this experience? With alcohol or anything else food/drink related?

Thanks!!!

Sean O'Rourke
07-05-2013, 01:14 AM
Hi epollock. So good to hear you have things under control. Are you taking any medication? My understanding is that most anxiety medications recommend that you don't drink alcohol with them. One or two drinks is usually ok but anymore is not recommended. Not that I ever followed this myself! When I'm on Effexor I can drink like a fish without getting really drunk. It kicks me back the day after though with a little extra anxiety and depression for a few days after.

epollock
07-05-2013, 08:24 AM
I am on Ativan PRN - I dont usually take it before I know Im going to be drinking. When I have the rapid heart beat after drinking, Im not experiencing "panic" - infact Im pretty calm but it prevents me from laying down and going to sleep.

Hi epollock. So good to hear you have things under control. Are you taking any medication? My understanding is that most anxiety medications recommend that you don't drink alcohol with them. One or two drinks is usually ok but anymore is not recommended. Not that I ever followed this myself! When I'm on Effexor I can drink like a fish without getting really drunk. It kicks me back the day after though with a little extra anxiety and depression for a few days after.