PDA

View Full Version : Psychiatrist Visits

Desk Lady
07-03-2013, 05:18 PM
Just wondering about anyone's experiences in going to a psychiatrist. It was my impression that they talked to you for a while, or at least for the entire half hour time for the fee they charge. On my first visit, I was (thankfully) given two scripts for meds and advised to seek psychological counseling . . . which I am undergoing at present, with not much luck for my core anxiety. On my second visit, lasting not more than 10 minutes, I was just questioned how the meds were working, given another script and out the door in ten minutes, but was charged for the entire 1/2 hour . . . same for the third visit!

Is this how psychiatrist visits go? I wondered, although to me what I experience is debilitating, it wasn't grand enough to take up her time?

Thank you for any enlightenment . . . I am disappointed, to say the least, and after four and a half months, I am still over the top with anxiety for my initial problem that caused me to seek help.

JCX
07-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Im seeing a therapist. Did you seek one before you went to a psychiatrist?

Desk Lady
07-03-2013, 06:52 PM
I went to a psychiatrist first, actually with no idea of going to a psychologist until she told be that this would be the treatment plan, meds and psychotherapy. I have been seeing the psychologist since the end of March and follow an Anxiety Workbook. The chapter we are working on this week actually deals with my core problem. As I look thru it and what I am to do, I really have high anxiety and don't see how this will help.