PDA

View Full Version : Please read/ this is lengthy head jolts/head swaying/dizzy

sweetpea_14513
09-14-2007, 07:28 PM
Hello all. I am new to this forum and my story is quite lengthy, but I am at the point where I need to share and see if there is anyone out there who has experienced anything similar to what I am.

I am 35 years old and 17 years ago after I had my first child I started to have these weird sensations in my head ( I cannot even remember exactly how they felt) but they scared me enough that I would start screaming and grabbing my head. If I do remember correctly, it felt as though my whole head was moving in the inside and pulled me to one side. I remember this happening in church while I was deep in concentration listening to the sermon. It came out of the blue and with no warning. My mom took me to the doctor and he said that I had an inner ear disorder and did not prescribe anything. The feelings went away and throughout the years from 1990-2004. The only times they would happen would be when I was deep in thought or staring at the TV or just daydreaming.

In 2004 while at work I had just eaten pizza, fried dough and a can of Coke and sometime after that I was sitting at my desk and out of nowhere I started feeling these crawly feeling in my left arm that made me panic and my heart starting pounding so fast I thought it was going to explode or I would have a heart attack. My throat started feeling like it was closing and I felt like I couldn’t breathe. I was rushed to the ER and told I had just had a panic attack. I would have 2 more at work within the next month. I was diagnosed with Anxiety and Depression and given Paxil. After taking it for several days I started having crazy side effects that made me feel like I was losing my mind. I was immediately seen by two different psychiatrists who both said I definitely have anxiety but do not have the depression and had me stop the Paxil immediately. I was given Vistaril to take as needed and within the first year I only needed to take about 3. I went to cognitive behavioral therapy too.

Once I developed the anxiety I noticed the funny head feelings had come back and would happen when I was in a stressful situation only. Once I got out of the stressful situation they would go away. I also started not to be able to go into stores anymore. During this time I head a different health scare (told I had diabetes, had a kidney stone but was misdiagnosed and given 3 different anti-biotics and vicodin all at once that made me deathly ill). I also started going back to college online and I noticed that while I was doing homework on the pc and my mind was overloaded that I would start having the head feelings and not be able to concentrate or even do my homework because they dizziness head jerks aggravated me so much. Needless to say, I had to stop. I also would get this feeling when we would be out in a crowded area with people I didn’t know.

In 2005 I was sitting at my desk again and was pregnant again and all of sudden while working at my pc I had the same wave of movement in my head that scared and/or jerked me so much that I felt like I was going to fall over and I grabbed my desk and slowly brought myself down to the floor for fear of falling over. I would have these feelings periodically while washing dishes or cooking over the stove. The difference in my life was a new baby. I had a new job title that I got at the end of 2004.

Jump ahead to December 2006 and I found out I am pregnant again (unplanned). I am nervous and wonder “what will everyone think at work?” My husband said who cares what they think we are married. And he is right. But because I am such a fearful person I started thinking what if I die with this pregnancy when I am having him. I constantly think like hat and though like that with each of my pregnancies. I worried non-stop with this pregnancy and the head feelings and dizziness and head jolts started increasing a lot right around my 6 month. They started to get worse (as was the stress at my job) to the point where I would have the head jolts and head swaying quite often but ONLY at work….sometimes still in the kitchen and also in the shower. Eventually, the got so bad that whenever I would get up from a sitting position I would get kind of lightheaded and feel like my head was being pulled downward. I started holding on to the wall as I walked down the hallways. I also started to feel like I was falling off the toilet when I was at work and have to hold on the walls to make sure I didn’t. This never happened at home. As soon as I would walk out of work I would feel better.

I was pulled out of work back in May due to pregnancy induced hypertension and while out my head sensations continued to increase. It got to the point where I started feeling like I was falling off the toilet at home. Every morning when getting out of bed I would have to sit for a couple minutes and then slowly get up and I would still have a dizzy, feel like my head is moving feeling.

I had my baby July 16 and immediately after I had him, something changed for the worse. The first time I had to get out of bed to use the restroom I started the “what if” thinking I was going to pass out or fall when I got up. I told the nurses this and when I got up I think it was all in my head, but by legs felt like they were going to give out or either I was too scared to stand up straight and stood up with my knees slightly bended “just in case I fell.” My life has been a living hell since that day with anxiety if this is what is wrong with me. Since that day of my son’s birth 2 months ago, I have been a pure mess. Every single day from that day I have lived in the worse fear I know. My symptoms become 10 worse and my head is doing this jerking, swaying, dizzy feeling ALL DAY LONG EVERY SINGLE DAY. My husband had to help me do everything for about 2 weeks. I was afraid to getup and use the bathroom by myself for a long time. It would take me about 15 minutes to get up the nerve to get up off the couch for fear of passing out or falling over.

I saw my regular doctor 4 days after giving birth and she was 99% sure it was BPPV (inner ear disorder). She prescribed meclizine which made me worse. She also wanted me to get a cat scan just to be sure and referred me to a neurologist just to be sure. I couldn’t do the CAT scan for pure fear of passing out because of feeling the blood rush to my head when I laid down flat. I was a nervous wreck. Of course my worst fear all these years is that I have a brain tumor/aneurysm. I did see the neurologist who did an exam on me and told me that I have nothing seriously wrong with me and I have what is called psychogenic dizziness and he prescribed Buspar. Of course I had to go online and read all the side effects and saw fainting as one and never filled the prescription.

I went to see and ENT and he said I do not have an inner ear disorder. I noticed that my vision has been bad since I had the baby too and seems to get worse when my anxiety is at its worse which is every single day. So I went to see my eye doctor and he said my eye sight has not changed in six years.

I started back to work this Monday and it has been pure torture, I can’t do anything at all. My head feelings and now blurry vision are unbearable and I cannot function. Before I was pulled out of work like I said I was getting these head feelings but if I picked up my laptop and went into a side office to work it would go away enough for me to work and go away completely once I left work. Now if I pick up and go into a side office it doesn’t go away completely, I still have a hard time working. When I leave the building I am better, but once I get home it starts all over again. I had a bad episode yesterday at work where I got up and felt like my head and face went numb. I panicked and called my husband to come get me and we went to the ER. I did the CAT scan, EKG and lots of blood work and was told everything looks good. I was given an Ativan that helped me tremendously but was sent home with a prescription again for Buspar. I took it last night and have taken it today and of course I don’t really notice any change because I am still feeling the head sensations.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before and is this really anxiety? I keep questioning it because the anxiety I am having is because of these awful head feelings that make me feel like I am going to pass out, fall over, and die.

I have an appointment with a psychiatrist Friday and I will see where I go from here. I am scared to go back to work I feel like no one understands how I feel. Everything makes me panic. I now have developed agoraphobia. I am afraid to be alone with my kids for fear of dying and no one to here to help them if I die. I am afraid to go anywhere by myself. My husband is the best husband in the world and has not left my side through this. I feel awful though because he has to see me suffer and do everything around the house and outside because I can’t function. I can’t even take care of my kids properly.

CallMeCrazy
09-14-2007, 11:43 PM
You might have a biological problem that's made worse by certain situations or certain food. Don't let the shrinks just throw medicine at you and tell you it's all in your head.

sweetpea_14513
10-01-2007, 08:35 AM
Well, I did get a CAT scan and MRI and nothing was found. I went to see the psychiatrist finally on 9/21 and he immediately pulled me out of work for one month and prescribed me Celexa and Ativan. I have had absolutey side effects and I am feeling 85% better! My dizziness, head swaying and jolts are basically gone! I am able to take care of my kids liek I am supposed to and I almost feel normal again. I go back on the 16th to see him to see how I am doing. I will keep you all posted.

Razz
10-02-2007, 08:55 AM
SInce Ativan and Celexa worked you can be sure your symptoms are stress/anxiety. These drugs are a trap and are horrible to get off of and can cause severe CNS disruptions in some people. You would be much better learning ways to bring your nervous system down naturally.

Buspar never worked for anyone.....well maybe 1 or 2. Big joke in the anxiety community

Raz

woofytalk
10-06-2007, 06:49 AM
Medicine is never a cureall. If you do go the medicine route, you MUST work with a therapist in conjunction. Taking medicine and not taking any other action will exacerbate the symptoms.

I'm sorry to hear about all your torment. Have faith and KNOW that things will get better. We're all behind you and you can fall back on us.

-Rachel

sweetpea_14513
10-09-2007, 09:58 AM
Yes, I never wanted to be on medicine but I did not know what was really wrong with me. I did not know if this truly was anxiety, an inner ear disorder or mabye some type of brain disorder or disease. What I did do is get back into CBT and that was helping to a certain degree along with the book The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne. That book was a lifesaver to me this summer while I was struggling with this. Iwas getting better without medicine but when I went back to work after maternity leave, I couldnt even make it a full week before I had a panic attack at work and my body "relapsed" again. It was at that time that I was beginning to really wonder if this was truly anxiety and made an appointment to see a psychiatrist. Prior to the appointment, I had been to an ENT, and eye doctor, neurologist and had a CAT Scan and MRI. I was in such bad shape by the time I saw the doctor that when he prescribed the meds I just went ahead adn took them because I was starting to feel worthless and I had never had those feelings before and it scared me.

My faith God is what has really made me make this far. I have had no side effects at all with the meds and each day I am feeling better. I have absolutley no more head swaying, jolts, or dizziness. I am not 100% better yet and I know that will take time. I do not want to stay on these medicines for long and will talk to the doctor about the appropriate time to start weaning me off of them. I now know that my anxiety manifests itself in this way that effects my head.

I am so thankful for this board and to see that I am not alone in this journey.