PDA

View Full Version : Does anxiety have a root cause?

omoplata
07-02-2013, 08:27 PM
How many here believe that anxiety has a root cause? Some therapist believe that certain types of anxiety are caused by things like unresolved trauma and issues, faulty coping mechanisms etc? Certain things might "trigger" the anxiety or panic but it is NOT the root cause. Seems to make sense to me......any thoughts?

Dcoito
07-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Yes! There is a root cause! Everyone is different, and has different levels of anxiety, or even some different symptoms. Some may have anxiety and never had a panic attack, I have had anxiety for 27 years as I have looked back at it all. And had 2 good episodes. 10 years ago , and currently. Both are different from one another. With only some similarity , but I find that all of us are deep thinkers, and we like to try and fix everything even tho we can't. We have a tenancy to worry more. The key is finding the root of your anxiety, and learning about who you are, and how you think. Learn as much as you can how anxiety works. The whole process is quite fascinating ! And harmless! Even tho it feels like hell at times LOL. But as we learn more about it the less it will effect us!

omoplata
07-02-2013, 11:09 PM
Yes! There is a root cause! Everyone is different, and has different levels of anxiety, or even some different symptoms. Some may have anxiety and never had a panic attack, I have had anxiety for 27 years as I have looked back at it all. And had 2 good episodes. 10 years ago , and currently. Both are different from one another. With only some similarity , but I find that all of us are deep thinkers, and we like to try and fix everything even tho we can't. We have a tenancy to worry more. The key is finding the root of your anxiety, and learning about who you are, and how you think. Learn as much as you can how anxiety works. The whole process is quite fascinating ! And harmless! Even tho it feels like hell at times LOL. But as we learn more about it the less it will effect us!

Well put Dcoito! Also in addition to finding root causes we should also be more aware of our triggers. And pay less attention to the sensations.

Ahlstrom
07-02-2013, 11:52 PM
Yes, always. And if it isn't visible then I always look at the unknown in life and inevitable death... it's impossible for anxiety to exist if you're not consciously (or subconsciously) worry about something.

Abster
07-03-2013, 04:34 AM
I've just stolen this from my new bible (aka a website called Ayurveda Retreat!)

"Biological intelligence has three divisions called Vata, Pitta and Kapha. When Vata is imbalanced a person becomes prone to anxiety, fear, mental instability and insomnia. When Pitta is imbalanced the individual becomes prone to anger and irritability. When Kapha is imbalanced the person is prone to lethargy and depression.

The actual symptoms the person is prone to often manifest most clearly when the person undergoes periods of excessive mental and physical stress. Also disruption of natural biological rhythms can trigger the manifestation of these various symptoms."

omoplata
07-03-2013, 05:01 AM
I have a book written by Deepak Chopra that I've never read past the intro. I know it talks about ayurvedic medicine. I think I might have a closer look at this book. @ Abster has ayurveda been helpful?

Abster
07-03-2013, 05:48 AM
I'll be honest, Omoplata; bar cutting out my morning coffee (strongly advised by the Ayurvedic practitioner - she was horrified!) I'm yet to fully implement the treatment plan she put together for me as soon after having my consultation I fell and broke my ankle...which was due to a loss of control over my leg; a 'quirky', uncontrollable symptom of anxiety that I've had for about two years now...and the very reason I looked into Ayurvedic therapy in the first place!!

I'm excited about kickstarting with it all once I'm off my crutches, though (don't think Ayurveda helps with broken bones!?), as it sounds v.promising and I'm all for doing whatever I can to make myself feel better - even if it takes a little time and effort.

There's an 'Ayurveda for Dummies' book out there if you fancied learning more without having to concentrate too hard!

missmello
07-03-2013, 06:03 AM
Oh my gosh yes, there is definitely a root cause for everyone's anxiety. Whether it be environmental factors, genetics, or how you were raised.. or even combinations of these. I think mine personally has to do with all 3. Talking with my therapist has opened my eyes and helped me learn where my anxiety all started. It's amazing. Sit back and really think about your life, from as far back as you can remember. I'm sure there is something from your past that may be a contributing factor to your anxiety, what has shaped you into the person you are today, what has helped mold your personality and how you react toward things. For me, looking at my childhood and how I was raised, not to mention family history of mental issues, it all makes sense.

Abster
07-03-2013, 06:27 AM
Oh my gosh yes, there is definitely a root cause for everyone's anxiety. Whether it be environmental factors, genetics, or how you were raised.. or even combinations of these. I think mine personally has to do with all 3. Talking with my therapist has opened my eyes and helped me learn where my anxiety all started. It's amazing. Sit back and really think about your life, from as far back as you can remember. I'm sure there is something from your past that may be a contributing factor to your anxiety, what has shaped you into the person you are today, what has helped mold your personality and how you react toward things. For me, looking at my childhood and how I was raised, not to mention family history of mental issues, it all makes sense.

I completely agree that it's often likely to be the result of a variety of contributing factors - which is why a holistic approach to anxiety is key rather than just relying on one thing like medication or CBT. My anxiety originally stemmed from anxious thoughts but then once they were taken care of (via CBT), I was left with/have been left with 'somatic anxiety', for which my medication has only partly sorted. I'm now resting my hopes on the power of Ayurveda to take care of things once and for all!

luvhorses
07-03-2013, 08:20 AM
To me the reason and yes I do believe mine is from a root cause is I was bullied a lot while growing up and my parents would move around constantly. I also have panic attacks if I worry to much about my animals, if they're hurt, I view them as my kids. Also all these damn bills I gotta pay. I'm 26 and I'm gonna file bankruptcy o.o

alankay
07-03-2013, 08:21 AM
Often(a psychic root) but not always. Alankay

Dcoito
07-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Well put Dcoito! Also in addition to finding root causes we should also be more aware of our triggers. And pay less attention to the sensations.

Well kinda. I know my triggers. Most do. The anxiety escalates when exposed to the triggers obviously ! I think everyone is mostly aware, they may come across new ones they didn't know would trigger anxiety. But once it's learned. They fear that trigger. Most people with anxiety becomes fearful of the attack itself! We run away from the triggers. Hence the fight or flight. So exposure therapy is what you should do! Desensitize your self from your triggers. So by doing that you must be aware of the sensations you are feeling. Acknowledge them as only sensation and not harmful. Just feels like hell but stick it out! Breath. Give the sensation room and tell it your fine being there and I know your not harmful! Breath through it Now what you do with your thoughts is the hard pard part! As the brain is quite powerful! And thoughts are hard to fight off. But it's a must in order to recover! Everything else is just symptoms. Of your thought process. Anxiety, worry, feeling of doom, helplessness, ect! It's hard but retraining your thought process is important. It all started with the brain and the way we store information and emotions.