PDA

View Full Version : Scared to make the trip

maliyasmummy
07-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Hi has anybody got any ideas and suggestions to make me get through a trip on Sunday I need to travel 116 miles from my home and am terrified I have panic attacks disturbing thoughts and severe anxiety when I think about travelling away from my home I freak out HELP!!!!!

em1
07-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Hi has anybody got any ideas and suggestions to make me get through a trip on Sunday I need to travel 116 miles from my home and am terrified I have panic attacks disturbing thoughts and severe anxiety when I think about travelling away from my home I freak out HELP!!!!!

Oh are you going somewhere nice? I allways think of where your going and how much of Nice time your going to have and also how's my times you have thought that something's going to happen and it's not,I know it's hard but try and relax and breath everything will
Be ok

maliyasmummy
07-01-2013, 02:38 PM
It's my daughters first national cheerleading competition in Bournemouth

em1
07-01-2013, 02:40 PM
It's my daughters first national cheerleading competition in Bournemouth

Oh wow that will be lovely :)

trinidiva
07-01-2013, 02:53 PM
Is it just the fact that you will be away from familiar surroundings that has you anxious or is it the actual trip that is making you nervou?

TheFuzz
07-01-2013, 03:33 PM
I can totally relate. I make a 180 mile trip (one way) every weekend to see my girlfriend. I have anxiety every time, and usually have at least one panic attack as well. One technique that I very recently began using was what I call thought-stopping. On a three/three and a half hour drive, my mind wanders. I usually end up "what-if-ing" and "oh-my-god-ing" myself into a panic. Last weekend, I did not allow myself to have thoughts. I basically kept my mind blank. To assist with this I didn't listen to my normal radio stations or my ipod with my usual music rotation. I put on sports radio or classic rock stations just for background noise. Not sure why that helped, but it kept me from getting involved with the music and having my thoughts drift off from that. I'm not sure if that makes sense to you, but I'm still trying to figure it out myself! I didn't allow myself to feel one way or another about anything that happened on the drive. If someone cut in front of me, I had no opinion on it. If I hit traffic, oh well. So, no getting worked up, no feelings, no thoughts. In other words, don't dwell on things, don't let your mind wander. I guess one could say it's a form of mindfulness. When I did this last weekend, I didn't have any panic attacks, and maybe one or two very fleeting moments of low-grade anxiety.

Another technique I started using was reminding myself that I am the same person in the same body as when I'm at home. This helps with fears of sickness or having bodily issues just because you're away from home. You're in the same body that you are when you're at home, so it's ok to feel as normal as you do when you're someplace comfortable.

str8trippin
07-01-2013, 03:43 PM
I totally understand why you're nervous...my first really severe panic attack happened while I was driving home a long distance. I used to love driving...not quite so much anymore. I have to make a 150 mile trip this coming weekend...the same drive I was making when I had my panic attack. The things that help me the most are to do the driving during daylight hours if at all possible. I don't have as good of vision at night and I think that contributes to my anxiety. Also make sure I have music to listen to, or an audio book, and plenty to drink and something to snack on. The other thing that helps me is to break the drive down in to pieces. Instead of saying I have to drive 150 miles and dread it, I break it down into 25 mile sections, which is more manageable, and just remind myself that I can pull over any time I need to and that I don't have to rush. Take a deep breath, relax and you'll be okay...and remember that you are going for something fun!

maliyasmummy
07-02-2013, 12:16 AM
Is it just the fact that you will be away from familiar surroundings that has you anxious or is it the actual trip that is making you nervou?

It's the being away from my comfort zone x

maliyasmummy
07-02-2013, 12:17 AM
I can totally relate. I make a 180 mile trip (one way) every weekend to see my girlfriend. I have anxiety every time, and usually have at least one panic attack as well. One technique that I very recently began using was what I call thought-stopping. On a three/three and a half hour drive, my mind wanders. I usually end up "what-if-ing" and "oh-my-god-ing" myself into a panic. Last weekend, I did not allow myself to have thoughts. I basically kept my mind blank. To assist with this I didn't listen to my normal radio stations or my ipod with my usual music rotation. I put on sports radio or classic rock stations just for background noise. Not sure why that helped, but it kept me from getting involved with the music and having my thoughts drift off from that. I'm not sure if that makes sense to you, but I'm still trying to figure it out myself! I didn't allow myself to feel one way or another about anything that happened on the drive. If someone cut in front of me, I had no opinion on it. If I hit traffic, oh well. So, no getting worked up, no feelings, no thoughts. In other words, don't dwell on things, don't let your mind wander. I guess one could say it's a form of mindfulness. When I did this last weekend, I didn't have any panic attacks, and maybe one or two very fleeting moments of low-grade anxiety.

Another technique I started using was reminding myself that I am the same person in the same body as when I'm at home. This helps with fears of sickness or having bodily issues just because you're away from home. You're in the same body that you are when you're at home, so it's ok to feel as normal as you do when you're someplace comfortable.

Thanku for your advice

maliyasmummy
07-02-2013, 12:20 AM
I totally understand why you're nervous...my first really severe panic attack happened while I was driving home a long distance. I used to love driving...not quite so much anymore. I have to make a 150 mile trip this coming weekend...the same drive I was making when I had my panic attack. The things that help me the most are to do the driving during daylight hours if at all possible. I don't have as good of vision at night and I think that contributes to my anxiety. Also make sure I have music to listen to, or an audio book, and plenty to drink and something to snack on. The other thing that helps me is to break the drive down in to pieces. Instead of saying I have to drive 150 miles and dread it, I break it down into 25 mile sections, which is more manageable, and just remind myself that I can pull over any time I need to and that I don't have to rush. Take a deep breath, relax and you'll be okay...and remember that you are going for something fun!

Yea I'm trying to just concentrate on the fact that I'm watching my daughter in her first ever comp and in between we will be at the beach (if weathers nice you know British summer lol) no doubt ill be on here during the journey x

trinidiva
07-02-2013, 04:39 AM
Yea I'm trying to just concentrate on the fact that I'm watching my daughter in her first ever comp and in between we will be at the beach (if weathers nice you know British summer lol) no doubt ill be on here during the journey x

Yes; I can understand that it can be a bit unsettling to be out if your comfort zone but like you said...just keep focused on why you are there. ....and make the most of it. Try to have some fun!

maliyasmummy
07-11-2013, 11:02 PM
Hi all I made the trip and even managed to sit in 6 hours of traffic without freaking lol xxx