PDA

View Full Version : Nocturnal panic attacks

yurmom
06-30-2013, 02:42 PM
Hello. I could really use some help understanding nocturnal panic attacks. I had my first panic attack (awake) last fall and have been suffering with panic symptoms since, mostly hyperventilation. I think I had my first nocturnal attack last night. I've read that they don't happen during nightmares, but mine definitely did. So I'm very confused about whether or not it was a real panic attack or something else. Another odd thing about it was that it stopped almost immediately upon awakening, no breathing trouble. I was a little afraid to go back to sleep and I'm very afraid to go to sleep tonight. I'd appreciate any insight.

Dcoito
06-30-2013, 03:02 PM
Hmmm IV never had a nocturnal attack, and hope I don't. They sound awful! Anyways to me ,and what I have read about it, it sounds like it was your dream! That I have had happen to me, LOL. And ya it sucks! But whatever you do don't start fearing it cuz you would just be feeding your anxiety! Make sure to clear your mind before bed, and put some good thoughts in there to fall asleep with! You may even want to listen to nature sounds while you fall to sleep. Find some on YouTube.

frankzito
06-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Hello. I could really use some help understanding nocturnal panic attacks. I had my first panic attack (awake) last fall and have been suffering with panic symptoms since, mostly hyperventilation. I think I had my first nocturnal attack last night. I've read that they don't happen during nightmares, but mine definitely did. So I'm very confused about whether or not it was a real panic attack or something else. Another odd thing about it was that it stopped almost immediately upon awakening, no breathing trouble. I was a little afraid to go back to sleep and I'm very afraid to go to sleep tonight. I'd appreciate any insight.

The majority of mine are waking up in the middle of the night. Always think a dream causes it , but not sure . A nightmare can cause a rapid heart rate and adrenaline release.