PDA

View Full Version : Cyberchondria...the Modern Malady!

str8trippin
06-26-2013, 04:28 PM
Here I started looking up phobias (and realizing I have more of them than I thought I did) and I discovered something...CYBERCHONDRIA!

Who knew there was a word for it.

Cyberchondria is the unfounded escalation of concerns about common symptoms based on the review of search results and literature online, and it is positioned somewhere between temporary neurosis and hypochondria. It is a growing concern among health care practitioners as patients can now research any and all symptoms and manifest a state of medical anxiety. Doctors have expressed concern about patients who self-diagnose on the basis of information obtained from the Internet because there is often an incomplete or distorted understanding of other diagnostic possibilities and medical likelihoods.

I don't think any of us have this, do we? ;)

defmunel
06-26-2013, 05:04 PM
I totally agree and often think about how many patients doctors see like us. My brother is a PA and has a patient like me. He said im a little more easier to help than his patient ( :) ) but he has one none the less. I just can't google. It's such a horrible thing.