PDA

View Full Version : What in the world?!

MrsJ88
06-26-2013, 02:00 PM
I'm kinda freaking! I had a doctors appointment today because I have zero energy and have been bruising easily and a lot and the dr ordered all this blood work (like 3 tubes to be drawn) they went to draw the blood (which all during my pregnancy last year when I had blood drawn monthly it flowed out of me like a faucet) TODAY, no blood would come out! So they stuck my arm, my hand, and pricked two fingers! Then during the finger prick, they said my blood was either too thin or too thick! What the hell?! Never had this issue! So now I have to come back Friday cause they could only get half of a syringe of blood instead of 3 tubes! So scared something is wrong!

missmello
06-26-2013, 02:19 PM
If something was seriously wrong they would not have let you leave the office. Just remind yourself of that. I have never heard of such a thing, then again I am not an expert in anything lol. Did you ask your doctor if its something to be concerned about? If not, call and ask just to ease your mind, or ask them on Friday.

str8trippin
06-26-2013, 02:22 PM
I'm not a medical professional by any means, but I did work in a medical unit at my previous job and watched a LOT of blood being drawn, and I've heard that it is something that happens once in a while, and I don't think it's anything to worry about. My Dad was like this all the time...I don't think I ever witnessed a time where someone wasn't struggling to get blood out with him. Like missmello said, if it was something they were really concerned about, they wouldn't have let you leave and told you to come back. Make sure you are really well hydrated before hand, and if you can, walk around a little bit to get the blood flowing...that might help.

MrsJ88
06-26-2013, 03:20 PM
I'm not a medical professional by any means, but I did work in a medical unit at my previous job and watched a LOT of blood being drawn, and I've heard that it is something that happens once in a while, and I don't think it's anything to worry about. My Dad was like this all the time...I don't think I ever witnessed a time where someone wasn't struggling to get blood out with him. Like missmello said, if it was something they were really concerned about, they wouldn't have let you leave and told you to come back. Make sure you are really well hydrated before hand, and if you can, walk around a little bit to get the blood flowing...that might help.

Thanks for the replies. I imagine I am dehydrated... I rarely drink water and LOVE sweet tea. Plus I took ibuprofen a lot in the last week for my head hurting, I think that thins the blood, correct?

ava_x
06-26-2013, 03:37 PM
I went to the ER a few weeks ago and when they tried getting blood it was like clotting as it went in the tube. I was freaking out thinking I was going to die...but here I am. I think I was dehydrated too! Sweet tea dehydrates you more...just be sure to drink water before you go again :)

defmunel
06-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Water water water! Our bodies cannot survive without it! Drink lots of water. If I ever reach for something to drink, it's 99% water 1% caffeine free soda.

MrsJ88
06-26-2013, 05:15 PM
Water water water! Our bodies cannot survive without it! Drink lots of water. If I ever reach for something to drink, it's 99% water 1% caffeine free soda.

So true. I think I've learned that today. I just hate water, but I'll have to learn.

ava_x
06-26-2013, 05:18 PM
So true. I think I've learned that today. I just hate water, but I'll have to learn.

What about putting a little bit of lemon in it? Or mint, cucumbers, that might help to give it a little flavor!

MrsJ88
06-26-2013, 07:20 PM
What about putting a little bit of lemon in it? Or mint, cucumbers, that might help to give it a little flavor!

Good idea! I like lemon!

Stephj526
06-26-2013, 10:30 PM
This happened to me recently too. It took them several veins to get blood and then it took forever for it to come out. Lots of water!! And fruit would be good too!

Stephj526
06-26-2013, 10:30 PM
Try MiO's if you want flavored water. No sugar or calories, but taste yummy. Just stay away from the energy ones, caffeine and anxiety are a bad mix.

MrsJ88
06-26-2013, 10:37 PM
Try MiO's if you want flavored water. No sugar or calories, but taste yummy. Just stay away from the energy ones, caffeine and anxiety are a bad mix.

Do MIOs taste like Splenda or anything? I can't stand that odd taste. That's the only reason I haven't tried MIO yet.

Stephj526
06-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Do MIOs taste like Splenda or anything? I can't stand that odd taste. That's the only reason I haven't tried MIO yet.

No, they're so much better! I can't stand crystal light for the fake sugar taste and this has none of that.

MrsJ88
06-26-2013, 10:44 PM
No, they're so much better! I can't stand crystal light for the fake sugar taste and this has none of that.

Oh great!!! I'm definitely gonna try them tomorrow! Thanks!

MrsJ88
06-28-2013, 09:15 AM
Update:

Had to go back today to try and have them draw blood again.... Still barely any would come out and the tiny bit that did clotted in the tube so they had to throw it out and it couldn't be used for testing. So now I have to go back next week to try yet again!!! My anxiety is at an all time high!

HealingTime
06-28-2013, 09:32 AM
I was about to add water water water too! I'm a regular blood donor and on occassion if I go in dehydrated my blood just won't flow and I get sent away after they've only gotten a few drops. Water water water!

missmello
06-28-2013, 10:47 AM
Did you ask them what could be causing it? I hope they at least gave you some kind of explanation to ease your mind.