PDA

View Full Version : OCD or Anxiety disorder ?????

em1
06-25-2013, 03:25 AM
Ok I'm now Confused I've had panic attacks for years And years (since I was 17 and I'm now 38,I'm going to have some Therapy on the 17th (first time ever) they said because I've had Intrusive thoughts they think I have a OCD,now this is very Confusing as you can have this with Anxiety,which is what I've had for years,I don't get panic attacks every day,so now it's very Confusing as they both sound the same Cycles,I don't wash my hands or do any kind of Ritual and I think for me my panic attacks allways came because of my fear of dieing,tho I no longer believe that as I think because of that I now have another thought in my head that's making the anxiety stay ahhhhhhhhh x

maliyasmummy
06-25-2013, 04:46 AM
What kind of intrusive thoughts ?

em1
06-25-2013, 05:03 AM
What kind of intrusive thoughts ?

That I was going to harm my children and go to prison(crazy I know as I adore my children they are my whole life and reason to live

em1
06-25-2013, 05:09 AM
I'm the kind of mum that puts my children be4 anything be4 my own life as long as they have everything they need then I'm happy,so you can see how Distressing this has been for a loving mother to have

kelliesean
06-25-2013, 05:29 AM
I'm the kind of mum that puts my children be4 anything be4 my own life as long as they have everything they need then I'm happy,so you can see how Distressing this has been for a loving mother to have

Hey em1 :-).. Yes I have thought you sounded OCD.. I can associate bc I am OCD.. OCD is actually an anxiety disorder itself. But.. Don't worry it's very easily treatable.. And I don't have rituals.. I have just suffered with constant disturbing thoughts that stressed me..

kelliesean
06-25-2013, 05:32 AM
Part of the definition for OCD sufferers is that they have thoughts and obsessions that repulse them..
So the thoughts tht you have do not mean tht you want to act them out.. That is ironically why you obsess w it.. Because it is so disturbing to you, and something you would never do..

kelliesean
06-25-2013, 05:36 AM
"OCD is based around obsessive thought patterns and rituals, such as fear of contamination, in conjunction with compulsions to carry out physical rituals, such as excessive washing. The rituals relieve the fear created by the obsessive thoughts. It is perfectly possible, and very common, to have obsessive thoughts without the rituals and it is equally possible to have the compulsive rituals without the thoughts although this is quite rare."

"Like all Anxiety Disorders, OCD can be overcome with self-exposure and CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy), sometimes in conjunction with anti-depressant drugs. Recovery is usually quite slow but hard work does produce positive rewards and complete recovery can be achieved."

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/ocd/

alankay
06-25-2013, 05:51 AM
Primary diagnoses would be an OCD(obsessions/intrusive thoughts mostly) type disorder as well as some anxiety. CBT and an ssri like luvox are often what's tried first. I go that route if offered it. Alankay

em1
06-25-2013, 05:59 AM
I fully understand why it maybe OCD tho I've only had this for three and a half weeks yet I've had panic attacks over my Heath for years so I can't really work it out

kelliesean
06-25-2013, 06:07 AM
I fully understand why it maybe OCD tho I've only had this for three and a half weeks yet I've had panic attacks over my Heath for years so I can't really work it out

I know it seems that new disorders can creep in?

BUT I have also read that so many symptoms of health anxiety and OCD overlap.. And some believe they are the same..

Hmmm.. I guess it depends on the expert you talk to or read from..

But in that case, maybe you were always OCD, and now you just have a fresh/new obsession..

em1
06-25-2013, 06:16 AM
I know it seems that new disorders can creep in?

BUT I have also read that so many symptoms of health anxiety and OCD overlap.. And some believe they are the same..

Hmmm.. I guess it depends on the expert you talk to or read from..

But in that case, maybe you were always OCD, and now you just have a fresh/new obsession..

I really hope I don't have anything else
Lol I don't think I could cope

kelliesean
06-25-2013, 07:20 AM

Yeah.. It's probably just OCD altogether.. Just the ONE disorder that you have always probably had.. But I'm not a doctor .. And I certainly do not mean to discourage or upset you.. If anything I hope that you feel this may answer some questions..

I have the same.. And anyway all the anti depressants treat all of the symptoms..

OCD is not a big deal at all.. So common.. So easily treated..

em1
06-25-2013, 07:29 AM
Yeah.. It's probably just OCD altogether.. Just the ONE disorder that you have always probably had.. But I'm not a doctor .. And I certainly do not mean to discourage or upset you.. If anything I hope that you feel this may answer some questions..

I have the same.. And anyway all the anti depressants treat all of the symptoms..

OCD is not a big deal at all.. So common.. So easily treated..

Oh I'm not upset at all by you saying that :)
I just want to get on with life and have the best life I can,I no longer fear death so that's one thing I don't have a fear of no more.
I just want to know what I can do to prevent it as get in with it lol

kelliesean
06-25-2013, 07:56 AM
Oh I'm not upset at all by you saying that :)
I just want to get on with life and have the best life I can,I no longer fear death so that's one thing I don't have a fear of no more.
I just want to know what I can do to prevent it as get in with it lol

Whewww.. I am glad that I haven't upset you :-).

P.S. it says your mailbox is full ;)

em1
06-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Whewww.. I am glad that I haven't upset you :-).

P.S. it says your mailbox is full ;)

Good god no lol I'm a tough cookie lol

kelliesean
06-25-2013, 09:26 AM
Good god no lol I'm a tough cookie lol

Lol!!! Good ;)

kelliesean
06-25-2013, 10:13 AM

My psychiatrist is always suspicious that I may e bi polar.. My gut reaction is that I am not.. But of course if I am I want to treat it..

But like you say here.. I don't want any new conditions!! Lol

Basically I am good one day.. Bad the next.. It's weird., I don't know why that is..

Anyway he discuses w me possibly putting me on mood stabilizers..

Hmmm.. I'd like NOT to be on any new meds lol.. We shall see..

em1
06-25-2013, 10:19 AM
My psychiatrist is always suspicious that I may e bi polar.. My gut reaction is that I am not.. But of course if I am I want to treat it..

But like you say here.. I don't want any new conditions!! Lol

Basically I am good one day.. Bad the next.. It's weird., I don't know why that is..

Anyway he discuses w me possibly putting me on mood stabilizers..

Hmmm.. I'd like NOT to be on any new meds lol.. We shall see..

I think you know your own mind but like you say ok let's try that and see

kelliesean
06-25-2013, 10:28 AM
I think you know your own mind but like you say ok let's try that and see

:-)) yep..this is true!

anxiousashley
06-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Ok I'm now Confused I've had panic attacks for years And years (since I was 17 and I'm now 38,I'm going to have some Therapy on the 17th (first time ever) they said because I've had Intrusive thoughts they think I have a OCD,now this is very Confusing as you can have this with Anxiety,which is what I've had for years,I don't get panic attacks every day,so now it's very Confusing as they both sound the same Cycles,I don't wash my hands or do any kind of Ritual and I think for me my panic attacks allways came because of my fear of dieing,tho I no longer believe that as I think because of that I now have another thought in my head that's making the anxiety stay ahhhhhhhhh x

Not all OCD manifests itself as compulsions to lock doors, or wash hands or check to see the stove is off every 5 seconds. There is something referred to as "Pure O" which is purely obsessional OCD where there are no observable compulsions but you do have your mind obsessing over one thought or idea over and over and over. And it is a form of anxiety. I know it's something I struggle with.

em1
06-25-2013, 01:47 PM
Not all OCD manifests itself as compulsions to lock doors, or wash hands or check to see the stove is off every 5 seconds. There is something referred to as "Pure O" which is purely obsessional OCD where there are no observable compulsions but you do have your mind obsessing over one thought or idea over and over and over. And it is a form of anxiety. I know it's something I struggle with.

Oh do you,what do you struggle with? I'm now Interested in this as I did not think oh I have a OCD

kelliesean
06-25-2013, 01:55 PM

This is true for me too anxiousashley.. I am definitely just dealing w the obsessions..

anxiousashley
06-25-2013, 02:40 PM
Oh do you,what do you struggle with? I'm now Interested in this as I did not think oh I have a OCD

Well I admit one part I do have that's compulsion OCD is incessant Googling what is wrong with me (very easy habit to get into, very bad idea!) so I have learned about various forms of this Pure O. It's really any thought you may have that you find disturbing or inappropriate in some way. While other people can simply dismiss those thoughts, anxious people seem to freak out about them usually when it's something to them that's so wrong or so immoral to what they believe and feel. For example em1 you have a fear you may harm your children. Since you do know that you love your children more than anything this is a highly disturbing thought to you leaving you going "OMG why am I thinking this? What is wrong with me?" And the anxious mind cannot let that thought go so we begin to obsess it and even try to remove it by thinking counteractive thoughts over and over such as "I love my kids. Of course I love them. I want to hug them and kiss them all the time." We think counteracting with the positive thoughts will help us but it instead makes it worse because it still keeps our minds revolving around our obsessions. I went though this with my health anxiety many years ago. I was convinced I was dying and did nothing but fester on it. Thoughts like "well I'll be dead by the end of the week so it doesn't matter if that work project gets done." and that would scare me so I'd challenge it with "But I'm not dying! I just hiked 5 miles in the woods with my family and nothing happened to me. I must be in perfect health!" And it would go over and over and over. It's a bad cycle to get caught up in. Right now what I am struggling with is actually what is referred to as Relationship OCD or ROCD. I have a wonderful boyfriend; everything I've ever wanted. One day about a month into our relationship I woke up and thought "What if I don't actually like him?" It sent me into a panic and spiraled from there. I enjoy time with him, he's adorable and he's wonderful to me and I have to sit there and spell this out to myself on almost a daily basis. It's become a ritual and an obsession, hence the OCD.... Sorry that was rather long winded, but I hope it helped explain things a bit.

em1
06-25-2013, 02:59 PM
Well I admit one part I do have that's compulsion OCD is incessant Googling what is wrong with me (very easy habit to get into, very bad idea!) so I have learned about various forms of this Pure O. It's really any thought you may have that you find disturbing or inappropriate in some way. While other people can simply dismiss those thoughts, anxious people seem to freak out about them usually when it's something to them that's so wrong or so immoral to what they believe and feel. For example em1 you have a fear you may harm your children. Since you do know that you love your children more than anything this is a highly disturbing thought to you leaving you going "OMG why am I thinking this? What is wrong with me?" And the anxious mind cannot let that thought go so we begin to obsess it and even try to remove it by thinking counteractive thoughts over and over such as "I love my kids. Of course I love them. I want to hug them and kiss them all the time." We think counteracting with the positive thoughts will help us but it instead makes it worse because it still keeps our minds revolving around our obsessions. I went though this with my health anxiety many years ago. I was convinced I was dying and did nothing but fester on it. Thoughts like "well I'll be dead by the end of the week so it doesn't matter if that work project gets done." and that would scare me so I'd challenge it with "But I'm not dying! I just hiked 5 miles in the woods with my family and nothing happened to me. I must be in perfect health!" And it would go over and over and over. It's a bad cycle to get caught up in. Right now what I am struggling with is actually what is referred to as Relationship OCD or ROCD. I have a wonderful boyfriend; everything I've ever wanted. One day about a month into our relationship I woke up and thought "What if I don't actually like him?" It sent me into a panic and spiraled from there. I enjoy time with him, he's adorable and he's wonderful to me and I have to sit there and spell this out to myself on almost a daily basis. It's become a ritual and an obsession, hence the OCD.... Sorry that was rather long winded, but I hope it helped explain things a bit.

Yes I know just what your saying,yes it is very shocking what the mind makes you think or the OCD should I say,it drives you nutzzzz tho lol I do laugh about it tho and say to myself if I get a thought (oh it's you again,your so boring and full of lies) I face the fact and I'm no longer scared of it as I know it's a lie,the same as I know I won't die from a panic attack or pass out,I have learnt so much in the last four weeks that I can see a light at the end of the tunnel that says I'm winning :)

anxiousashley
06-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Yes I know just what your saying,yes it is very shocking what the mind makes you think or the OCD should I say,it drives you nutzzzz tho lol I do laugh about it tho and say to myself if I get a thought (oh it's you again,your so boring and full of lies) I face the fact and I'm no longer scared of it as I know it's a lie,the same as I know I won't die from a panic attack or pass out,I have learnt so much in the last four weeks that I can see a light at the end of the tunnel that says I'm winning :)

Great to hear it em1!!! I feel the same way! I actually just came back from my therapy appointment and she was like "wow! You seem way calmer and happier than you did just a few weeks ago!" So nice to hear it! We are winning! As bad as some days can be we just have to look back to see how far we've come!

maliyasmummy
06-25-2013, 04:56 PM
That I was going to harm my children and go to prison(crazy I know as I adore my children they are my whole life and reason to live

I get exactly the same thoughts now I was told it was panic disorder ?? It's really scary

maliyasmummy
06-25-2013, 04:58 PM
I get them same thoughts like ill lose control and hurt someone or my girls it terrifies me even though I know deep in my heart I wouldn't do it I even got to the point of moving in with my parents so they could keep an eye on me x