PDA

View Full Version : does anyone else lost weight since anxiety and panic started?

bax
06-24-2013, 06:54 PM
do some of you have lost weight since having anxiety attacks? I have lost 20 pounds in three month and have no apatite, I try to eat much as I can but still losing weight.

thank you in advance for your replys.

str8trippin
06-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Yes...I lost 10 pounds in less than a week because of the same thing. My appetite has come back for the time being (mostly), but for a while I had zero appetite...nothing sounded good, I was horrified that I was going to get acid reflux if I ate anything, and if I did eat I would get full after a few bites.

Dcoito
06-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Yes lost 10 pounds. Good tho I needed it! In the beginning I could not even stand the smell of food! Never mind eat it! And when I did eat it I had to walk around and eat, i could not sit! It was awful, but now my appetite is returning!

RAIDER805
06-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Same here..lost about 15 lbs in a month.. My appetite is better now, but not the same.

Judie
06-24-2013, 09:29 PM
do some of you have lost weight since having anxiety attacks? I have lost 20 pounds in three month and have no apatite, I try to eat much as I can but still losing weight.

thank you in advance for your replys.

Everyone loses weight with anxiety ,especially with their "first" bout of anxiety. Anxiety pumps out tremendous amounts of anxiety, even when not in a full mode of an attack. In addition your muscles are in a constant state of flexing from stress ( tense- think like...weight lifting). All of these things burn a lot of calories and most anxiety sufferers have little appetite ( associated nausea, depression and just plain " nerves" ) please don't worry, try to eat healthy. Worrying about this will only make the weight loss more pronounced and " NO" you don't have cancer or any other affliction or disease, this is adrenaline pure and simple. Be Well, try eating high caloric foods ( peanut butter, nuts...comfort foods- spoil yourself :) ) Be Well !

bax
06-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Everyone loses weight with anxiety ,especially with their "first" bout of anxiety. Anxiety pumps out tremendous amounts of anxiety, even when not in a full mode of an attack. In addition your muscles are in a constant state of flexing from stress ( tense- think like...weight lifting). All of these things burn a lot of calories and most anxiety sufferers have little appetite ( associated nausea, depression and just plain " nerves" ) please don't worry, try to eat healthy. Worrying about this will only make the weight loss more pronounced and " NO" you don't have cancer or any other affliction or disease, this is adrenaline pure and simple. Be Well, try eating high caloric foods ( peanut butter, nuts...comfort foods- spoil yourself :) ) Be Well !

thank you.

em1
06-25-2013, 09:05 AM
Yes I lost 14 pounds in two weeks it's very common :) tho I need to but not in this way lol

str8trippin
06-25-2013, 09:14 AM
Yes I lost 14 pounds in two weeks it's very common :) tho I need to but not in this way lol

Agreed! Not saying I couldn't use the weight loss, but I'd much rather it be in a healthy way than this way! I've overcome an eating disorder in the past, so things like that tend to scare me because it's very easy for me to fall back into old habits...so I had expressed my concern to my doctor about having lost so much weight in such a short period of time because I was worried about having no desire to eat and she told me, "I wish I could get anxious and depressed so I could lose weight." O_O

em1
06-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Agreed! Not saying I couldn't use the weight loss, but I'd much rather it be in a healthy way than this way! I've overcome an eating disorder in the past, so things like that tend to scare me because it's very easy for me to fall back into old habits...so I had expressed my concern to my doctor about having lost so much weight in such a short period of time because I was worried about having no desire to eat and she told me, "I wish I could get anxious and depressed so I could lose weight." O_O

Yes when I said to my doctor about me losing so much weight she was the same and just said its the Anxiety and to wait for the tablets to take affect and belive me I've been eating like a train for a week now and I've not even been on my Meds for four weeks yet and I have a sore throat at the moment lol

photog25
06-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Yeah, I go through periods where I can only eat like once a day if that. It only happens when I'm extremely stressed out like during finals or if I'm freaking out about my health. Food just doesn't sound good at all. I lost about ten pounds at the end of the last school semester just from the stress and not eating like I should. It sucks!

I found that eating something bland like crackers or Nutri-grain bars throughout the day helps. Or just having tiny snacks rather than a big meal helps to keep me going. I kind of slowly build my way back up to eating normally again.

anxiousashley
06-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Yes very common! I too lost a lot of weight. When we are anxious one of the first things we lose is our appetite. I even have times where I am really hungry and go to eat and suddenly end up anxious for one reason or another and just won't be able to eat at all! Sometimes I even have to force myself.

JCX
06-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Well I completely lost my appetite for awhile aswell, but I was so terrified of going crazy and depressed that I kept forcing myself. It only lasted for a couple of weeks.

JennJenn
06-25-2013, 12:56 PM
WellI am going to say this even though I haven't seen anyone else post this. I too lose weight but I am fluffy and I can afford to lose. I don't really want to do it the unhealthy way like this but I always thought I was losing because if I eat my tummy stays in knots and I live in the bathroom. There I said it, does anyone else live in the bathroom when they have anxiety. Ok maybe not live but go a lot! :)

Dcoito
06-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Ohhh yes in the beginning! But that too has gotten better! I also had a very unsettled stomach it would make really loud noises!

JennJenn
06-25-2013, 01:10 PM
ME TOO! How embarrassing. I hate it! ugh! I was that way for a month and then anxiety free for 3 weeks and then stupid dumb mean anxiety come back. I feel OK now but that stupid mean stuff comes back EVERY MORNING! I want my life back and I kind of miss my bubbly non whining self. hehe I will get there I always do but I am reading a lot of people have to deal with this for years and I am soooooo scared!

Dcoito
06-25-2013, 01:20 PM
Don't pay it to much attention! Make sure to relax your stomach! Do it several times a day until you can completely relax it! Even when you feel fine! Your tummy will thank you! ; )

AnxiousBob
06-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Yes lost 10 pounds. Good tho I needed it! In the beginning I could not even stand the smell of food! Never mind eat it! And when I did eat it I had to walk around and eat, i could not sit! It was awful, but now my appetite is returning!

Sounds just like me. I also lost 10lbs in a week which terrified me. I've always had a big appetite and the belly to show it. So, the lose of appetite and weight was quite scary for me.

AnxiousBob
06-25-2013, 01:33 PM
Don't pay it to much attention! Make sure to relax your stomach! Do it several times a day until you can completely relax it! Even when you feel fine! Your tummy will thank you! ; )

When you say 'relax your stomach' what does that mean?

anxiousashley
06-25-2013, 01:35 PM
WellI am going to say this even though I haven't seen anyone else post this. I too lose weight but I am fluffy and I can afford to lose. I don't really want to do it the unhealthy way like this but I always thought I was losing because if I eat my tummy stays in knots and I live in the bathroom. There I said it, does anyone else live in the bathroom when they have anxiety. Ok maybe not live but go a lot! :)

The moment I experience high anxiety I am literally rushing to the bathroom! I think it's pretty common sadly! LOL

Dcoito
06-25-2013, 01:51 PM
Like you would other parts of your body, concentrate on the belly Lay or sit do belly breathing. Placer one hand on your belly one hand on the chest. Take a deep breath in through your nose. Just allow the belly to rise not the chest. Imagine the air going past the chest, and into the belly. Hold for 3 seconds and release! Do that a few times, then imagine any tension melting down into the ground. Making a puddle! Then tighten up all your muscles in your stomach. Hold foe a count of 5 pause 4 pause 3 pause 2 pause 1. Then let it all go loose. Melt all tension away again. Remember to breath. Breath in relaxing clean air, breath out tense stressful air. Do it often until you feel the tension become relaxed! By tightening your tummy then letting go. You feel the relaxed stomach. It takes practice. But it works good in calming tensed areas of your body. You can also go to YouTube and find muscle relaxation videos for full body relaxation.

missmello
06-25-2013, 05:39 PM
I recently lost 15 pounds in 5 weeks because of anxiety, and I was average size to begin with, so it scared the crap out of me. I had zero appetite, didn't even want to smell food. I felt so sick I didn't even want to leave my bed, I thought I was dying. Thank god I'm feeling better now, but still having issues with my stomach.

Ryaan
06-25-2013, 11:23 PM
Iv'e lost 15 pounds in the last month, party from not eating enough, but a common symptom of Anxiety is a fast heart rate, your heart will burn fat. Kinda like a cardio workout... But not really.

trinidiva
06-26-2013, 05:30 AM
I definitely have experienced stomach issues due to anxiety and lost a ton of weight to the point where my clothes were just hanging off of me. I had to force myself to eat on a daily basis. Once I started to get a hold of my anxiety and started feeling better, the desire to eat came back and I'm back to a healthy ( maybe too healthy) weight.