PDA

View Full Version : Help!

mhirst
06-24-2013, 12:42 PM
Hi guys really needing help here, been suffering from severe anxiety now for 6 months and I've come to crashing point! I have constant headaches, shakes/trembling & chest pains also feeling sick alot too! I just don't know how much more I can take thinking am dying!! I've tried alsorts, was prescribed citalopram and that made me worse, drunk nothing but water...no changes. Took magnesium supplement...that also made me worse! I've doing hours and hours of research and I just get the same thing...think positive...welcome the symptoms and all that malarkey! Nothing seems to be working so I'm wondering if any of you guys have anymore suggestions? I'm loosing my marbles & now starting to cause me problems at home! :( PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

str8trippin
06-24-2013, 01:24 PM
Anxiety is a hard habit to kick, I can vouch for that. And I do really think it becomes something like a bad habit because we get so involved in the anxiety that it's what we spend all our time focusing on! And anxiety is also a really bad cycle...the worse you feel physically, the more anxiety you have, and the more anxiety you have the worse you feel physically, so getting out of the rut is nothing short of a challenge. Also, for me, I get completely exhausted because I don't sleep well due to the anxiety and that doesn't help ease the physical symptoms...it's only putting even more strain on your body. Do you feel like you are getting enough sleep? The past few weeks I felt awful constantly and it was starting to take its toll on my job and just about everything else. On top of it, I was dealing with a useless primary care doctor that really didn't help to ease my fears, and kind of just fueled them by acting like I was just completely insane. I've focused my energy on overcoming it and I truly feel like I'm getting back on the ground...using a lot of relaxation (meditation, yoga, massage and Reiki) which has helped immensely, and since I've actually been getting sleep I'm feeling much better than I was!

mhirst
06-24-2013, 02:02 PM
I don't really have trouble sleeping but my partner has said I'm very disturbed so to speak...plus when I wake up in a morning I feel absolutely exhausted, like I haven't slept. Where do you find the yoga? YouTube? I really need to kick this...I do find when I'm concentrating on something like at work I forget it all no symptoms or anything and then I think oh no anxiety an then it's straight there! :( I need to get it out of my head once Nd for all!

Dcoito
06-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Well welcome!

You are going to hear some of the same things, why? Because its not malarkey! I see your on medication. Are you still taking it even tho it makes you feel worst? Because medication takes time to work in your system, and sometimes the side effects can be shitty! What dose did you start out at, it could be to high. Make sure you keep good communication with your doctor! Did you have a full blood panel done? Anxiety is a mental disorder, we have a very active mind, and normally we are deep thinkers! We do need to retrain our mind. We need to learn to stop negative thinking, and replace them with positive thoughts! It takes work! Studying up on anxiety is a good way to learn about it! Stress and worry can cause all kinds of symptoms in our body, and when we feel a bad headache , or blurred vision, we tend to think the worst! We then cause more anxiety, with more symptoms, with more thoughts, then more anxiety, then more symptoms, till finally full blown panic attack! Our body is putting off adrenaline, which causes the anxiety, and sensations in our body! Our thoughts fuel the anxiety! If there was a big tiger standing in front of you, your fight or flight responses should kick in. ( adrenaline ). But since there is a tiger there you don't think about all the symptoms. Sweaty, heart rate, shaking limbs, dizziness, you just fight or run! Well anxiety is just that without the tiger! So you concentrate on the symptoms, and you make the symptoms larger, further adding more symptoms! You need to stop the circle! Acknowledge the symptoms, and be sure you will be ok, and not let any thoughts add to it! It takes practice! And time! But anxiety will start to fade if it has no fuel!
YouTube has some guided relaxation from the honest guys, and learn the proper way to breath! Very important!

KNOW YOUR ANXIETY IN ORDED TO DEFEAT IT,

str8trippin
06-24-2013, 02:09 PM
You can definitely YouTube basic yoga exercises and do them at home, which is what I do now, or go to a class if you have one in your area and are comfortable with it! I also finally found someone who I'm comfortable with to give me a massage and that is awesome, and super relaxing! And I'm the same way, if I'm concentrating on something else, I'm not noticing any symptoms...then I realize I'm not noticing any symptoms and surprise, surprise, there they are again!

Dcoito
06-24-2013, 02:10 PM
That is awesome str8. It is a lot of work! But your worth it right!

str8trippin
06-24-2013, 02:16 PM
It is a lot of work, dcoito! People act like anxiety is something you can just "get over", but for me even something like going and getting a dang massage is a HUGE accomplishment because of how uncomfortable I can be with people in "intimate" situations (not just sexually intimate, just generally intimate)!

Dcoito
06-24-2013, 02:16 PM
I try not to use the A word! I call it sensation, only when I feel one! I'll say oh I feel a sensation, my legs feel jelly like, and I just feel it for a bit, and I tell it that's its ok to be there, because nothing bad is going to happen! I am perfectly fine! And you need to believe it for this to work! After awhile I will notice it gone!

mhirst
06-24-2013, 02:31 PM
Thanks for all your responses...I'm no longer on the medication because it made me violently sick constantly so had to come off it, I phoned my gp and he basically said well there's nothing else I can do for you!! :-/

anxiousashley
06-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Hi guys really needing help here, been suffering from severe anxiety now for 6 months and I've come to crashing point! I have constant headaches, shakes/trembling & chest pains also feeling sick alot too! I just don't know how much more I can take thinking am dying!! I've tried alsorts, was prescribed citalopram and that made me worse, drunk nothing but water...no changes. Took magnesium supplement...that also made me worse! I've doing hours and hours of research and I just get the same thing...think positive...welcome the symptoms and all that malarkey! Nothing seems to be working so I'm wondering if any of you guys have anymore suggestions? I'm loosing my marbles & now starting to cause me problems at home! :( PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

I would also seriously look into Progressive Muscle Relaxation on YouTube. This seems to be perfect when you are in the worst part of your anxiety or even a panic attack. It forces you to move your focus elsewhere through breathing and sensations for your muscles tightening and releasing. My therapist got me started on this and it really truly helps! I do it before bed and I fall fast asleep! We have all been where you are right now mhirst and we promise you will survive this!

Dcoito
06-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Well that's so not true! There are plenty different medications out there! I would question the doctors ability to treat you! Perhaps find another! Also you can try therapy, you can learn coping skills that way! I know it can be hard to get out of your own way! But just know that anxiety is not harmful! It just feels like hell!

str8trippin
06-24-2013, 02:39 PM
I'm going to have to look that up, too, anxiousashley...thanks for the tip! I tried Reiki not too long ago with my massage therapist and that is AMAZING!

anxiousashley
06-24-2013, 02:44 PM
You're welcome Str8. I really recommend it!

And as far as the meds not working, it may just be a case of trying something different. I know many people who went through a few different ones before finding the right fit for them. Not only that, but they take some time to work too, especially the SSRIs. Most take about a month to really kick in and you will suffer some side effects in the first week or two.

JLBnole68
06-24-2013, 03:03 PM
If your GP told you there was nothing more they could do, you need to find a new doc ASAP. There are lots of medications that can help get you stabilized. It's much easier to put into place some of the things like yoga, exercise, muscle relaxation, etc. (which DO help greatly if you stick with them), when you don't feel like you're about to die. We all know exactly what you're going through. I wish I could tell you there is an instant cure, but then none of us would be reaching out to others for support. I suggest keep talking with others going through this. Don't give up hope. You will get better with the right treatment. I know it helps me to know I'm not alone in this.