PDA

View Full Version : Tips for finding a good therapist?

photog25
06-23-2013, 10:15 AM
So I started going to a therapist awhile ago and I felt like it was a waste of time because she never really showed me how to cope with my anxiety. All we did was talk about random stuff like movies, the weather, etc. Now I'm scared about finding a better therapist, so I've been putting it off for awhile.

What are some tips for finding a good therapist?

Megpie4525
06-23-2013, 10:47 AM
I'm lookin for one myself. I don't want to be in the whole "dr scene." I want to go somewhere that I'm the only one there and have some one on one time. We may have to try a few until we feel comfortable with one? Ya think?

photog25
06-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Yeah i'm starting to feel like that's the case lol. I'm really scared to trust someone.

Megpie4525
06-23-2013, 11:43 AM
My problem is the initial goin to a dr or anything and finding out something major I don't wanna know lol it's hard to find someone that truly understands. Maybe you can google or find a therapist that specializes in anxiety/depression.

Vickyclare
06-23-2013, 03:01 PM
I have recently started seeing a private hypnotherapist psychotherapist who comes to my house each week. She has taught me something called tapping therapy or EFT. It's a bit bonkers but it has helped me, especially with the agoraphobia I initially had. You can google or you tube it. I found my therapist on Facebook xx

Megpie4525
06-23-2013, 03:02 PM
I wish I could find someone to come to my house!

str8trippin
06-24-2013, 10:43 AM
I'm having the same problem with finding someone because I live in an extremely rural area where everyone knows each other and the only therapist in town that accepts my insurance is someone I know from a previous job and I'm not even remotely comfortable with him! I did a lot of research online and found someone about an hour away from me who I thought seemed like a perfect fit for me, but unfortunately he doesn't accept any insurance and I can't afford $100 per session on top of having to drive a two hour round trip to see him once a week! It's kind of frustrating, really, because of all the people you would possibly want and need to trust, a therapist is it, so having extremely limited options sucks in a big way!