PDA

View Full Version : Depression common among "baby boomers'

duddits
10-04-2005, 09:26 AM
We know that depression is pretty common in the U.S, but a new survey shows that depression it's hitting middle-aged Americans pretty hard.

Risks for developing depression are reportedly higher for women, for seperated or divorced people compared to married individuals, Native Americans and the poor. Researchers also found that women were more so likely to seek treatment than men.

http://diabetes.about.com/b/a/207687.htm

thedarkness
06-01-2006, 01:13 PM
makes perfect sense. hits women cause of natural mood swings and menopause problems, divorced people because they're lonely, poor people because life sucks for us. always have to worry about money.

soundthoughts
09-24-2006, 07:54 PM
Depression has been something that on one end of the spectrum has has totally dominated my life, and the other end has been something I simply manage, like working out to manage a weight problem.

Getting it under control is totally an urgent issue in my opinion because if I left it alone I can honestly say I dont know what would have happened to me.

happy to chat about it with anyone on messenger

[email protected]
victoria bc canada

Vincent
01-29-2008, 10:19 PM
Well, I think many teenager and young adults today are likely to be depressed, not juste the baby boomer. It's just clear to me: I feel a lot of sadness in young people today. Some are really lost, lost in drug and in their believes. With the end of the power of the church, people are kind of lost in their believes. No, I'm not religious (far from it- I'm really an atheist person); I just think that people don't know what to believe anymore (is money everything? Is it a reason worth leaving?) and relationship between people tend to be artificial, and there's more and more loneliness. With the technologies, people are link together but they don't feel close I think. Of course, it's not proven what I said. It's just my own thoughts but I believe that more people are depressed that the generation of our grand-parents for some obvious reasons to me. I'm not saying either that life was better in the past but people were happier I think, so less depressed. Life today is also way more stressful than a hundred years ago. Everything goes so fast, there's so many point of view. It's difficult in all that to find its way and some people, more fragile than others, lose control and get depressed.
I just hope I'm not out- topic by saying that. But, yeah, baby boomer are more depressed than their parents and the same for their kids, in my point of view. :(

Iridisis
06-16-2009, 02:21 PM
We've gone from rotary dial telephones and black and white TV that only had three channels...to the age of technology! The stuff my kids learned in EARLY grade school put to shame what I learned in high school and beyond. I got an associate's degree in the early 80's, but it is OBSOLETE and useless because of technology! Nobody wants to hire me because I am not proficient at three or more computer programs (and no longer young, slim and cute.) This transition SUCKS! We've been slammed by the economy and now how are we going to reinvent ourselves with so much unemployment and YOUNGER competition out there? BABIES know how to use a computer better than I do! WHAT'S LEFT FOR US????????????????? We need to survive, too! Depressed, you bet, and for good reason!!!

Giz
06-16-2009, 05:44 PM
I agree with the sentiments about the lack of faith (I really dont mind what you believe in, so long as you have something to have faith in, I do believe that is really important). And yes, feeling left behind by technology, neglected or abandoned are all gonna add in to depressions & anxieties..

But its also since the dawn of fast food...Since we stopped cooking good nutritious food and started relying on things in packets.

We are being bombarded by so much pollution. You are what you absorb, and each and every one of our senses are attacked daily by what we see, what we hear, what we touch, smell or taste..

Our digestive system is our closest relationship to our environment, the walls of your colon are only one cell thick. Your skin has 7 small layers in just the outer layer of epidermis, so even though you can absorb a lot through your skin, what you eat and drink has a much larger impact on your body.

And what do we eat and drink now? Since the age of the microwave? Food additives, Sweeteners, Preservatives, Pesticides, Synthetic food molecules, Genetically Modified food..
There is good food out there, but most of us wouldnt know what to do with it, we just remove the outer packaging, pierce the film lid and place in the microwave for 5 mins..(Or order it in...)

Weve lost touch with the nature that we evolved with. Weve introduced so many things that have no business entering our bodies into our daily "nourishment".. And sadly, the move to organic hasnt happened because the prices hold many back, and these are the people who probably need it most. (Although farmers markets can work out cheaper than supermarkets sometimes!)

The symptoms of many of the illnesses in the depression/anxiety/panic area are also the symptoms of vitamin deficiencies, essential fat imbalances, blood sugar imbalances, heavy metal toxicity, hormonal imbalances, homocysteine levels, even unidentified food intolerances & allergies.. But so long as the focus for treatment is always on drugs and not on the actual building blocks you need for your body to run properly, ie-your nutrition, we will all hit walls..

stopanxiety
01-05-2011, 07:50 AM
Also take into the fact that most women become depressed soon after childbirth, so no wonder they are more prone to getting help. Also take into consideration the economy in which we live in, and how hard it is for people to find jobs and sustain a normal family... no wonder so many people are depressed...

murdoch
05-03-2011, 06:19 AM
Considering this phenomena in women government bodies should look for some cheap and best solution with some strong policy initiative to help the sensitive gender get through this medical situation phase.