PDA

View Full Version : Excercise and Anxiety

fergie
09-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Just wanted hear everyone elses feelings towards this.

My question is regarding how you feel immediately during and after exercising.

I know in the long run, exercising is a great tool for beating anxiety in the A$%. But I want to hear how everyone else feels during the exercise. If any of you have exercised while suffering from symptoms and did it exagerate your bad feelings or did they subside from the workout?

Thanks everyones feedback...

ayesha
09-04-2007, 01:54 AM
maybe it's the placebo effect but definitely feel better. maybe it is psychological? keep up the exercise and also start yoga. it will help a lot. the bbc website has a great article on this- a study done about exercise and depression. good luck!

bio
09-04-2007, 05:25 AM
It's me again.

Excercise alone doesn't do magic.
It may work if only you take is as recreation as well. In my case, I would go for badminton game (my favorite game) with close friends. After the game, we would chitchat at cafe while having refreshment. You know, humorous guys can cheer you up rather that dead serious fellow (no nonesense guy).

So, ideally, excercise plus recreation should be a great help.

CallMeCrazy
09-05-2007, 09:33 PM
I've exercised through symptoms and it didn't really make them any better. Lifting weights feels good to me though but it just won't stop any anxiety. :x

Yolo2007
09-06-2007, 03:27 AM
Hey- personally, I've found that exercise generally doesn't help my anxiety. If anything it heightens the tensions in my chest/neck- just because I tell myself that what I'm doing should be relieving the pain, and I guess I'm expecting too much...so the pain gets worse. But I still exercise anyway- of course its good, and keeps you fit.

crystal22
09-06-2007, 01:07 PM
It depends on how bad my anxiety is at the time. If I'm suffering badly, jogging or anything that speeds my heart rate makes me feel worse and my mind starts racing and pulling up intrusive thoughts.

If my anxiety is not too bad - I find exercise quite relaxing

dorigen
09-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Exercise works, no doubt, it's just takes awhile. You probably won't notice anything drastic until a few months of consistent exercise.

I hate how i feel after I jog- I feel lightheaded and out of it... (sort of like anxiety), but I love how I feel after step aerobics. Youv'e got to find something that works for you.

IWasAnxious
09-09-2007, 04:11 AM
I cycle when tense and fatigued. It loosens me up and gives my a second wind.

ImatypeA
09-11-2007, 12:03 PM
I find that at first it makes me worry because i feel i should be able to do more than I can at first - I should be stronger. (e.g. OH MY GOD I can only do 10 sit ups before my stomach starts burning!!) But I keep at it and find that after a month or so, the exercise will begin to loosen up all my knotted and tense muscles (which is what was keeping me from doing more in the first place).

Exercise has helped me through all of my bouts with anxiety.

BobaFett49
09-11-2007, 06:21 PM
I started lifting weights back about 4 years ago when I was in college and within less than 2 weeks started noticing a difference in my moods, my appetite, my sleep patterns, and my overall outlook on life...all for the better. I slept better, I noticed I was much more calm and could focus easier, and my appetite skyrocketed (which for me is good because I'm like a rail).

However I know exactly what you're describing about how anxiety actually affects the workout itself. Even today, there have been times when I've been terrified to go into the gym, because I'm so little and there are people around me lifting doing bench presses with like 8 weights on each end. The gym was one of those places that I also was intimitated to make eye contact with anyone, because sometimes I'd feel like I should make eye contact and say hello, but most of the times I always felt like just waiting for them to say hello to me.

The best way I think to overcome this issue is to stick to a routine when working out, and go in the gym concentrating on your routine for the day and what muscles you're going to work today. And I guaruntee, everyone in there is probably as shy and intimitated as the other guy.

TerryG
09-11-2007, 06:47 PM
During exercise the body makes feel good hormones that alleviate stress. It is understandable that these hormones can alleviate the symptoms of an attack.

Not only that but there is a sense of achievement in exercise so therefore this activity can only strengthen ones resolve in dealing with the symptoms.

guy_lafleur23
09-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Personally, I hated working out... because my anxiety causes heart palpitations every now and then... so when i elevate my heart rate, i'm afraid i'll get palpitations during that time resulting in heart failure or something crazy. My anxiety has worked against me and really discourages me from working out... but I do it anyway, and it has slowly started to make me feel better. It just takes time and patience. :)

jeremkin
09-25-2007, 06:38 AM
Yes I now avoid strenuous exercise because my anxiety problem is based on fear of my heart racing! I know this is crazy so I will take it gradually and just see what happens (blank my mind, think of other things etc).
I know from the past that exercise can make you feel better psychologically.