PDA

View Full Version : have you met a social phobic person in real life?

blur
08-29-2007, 01:35 AM
other than yourself..
not through these boards

like a casual, unplanned meeting

Fear
08-29-2007, 05:27 AM
No never.MAybe that's another reason why,before knowing about this all,I thought to be the only one.I wouldn't like to meet one in person that wouldn't be a person I talked to in here,first.I think that if it happens I want it to be a strong personality,not someone I can feel strong over;I tend to do that,I know that's ugly,but,you know I do it.I wouldn't feel confortable.I would feel even more lost and worse.

duddits
08-30-2007, 01:23 AM
I met one girl, in my 2nd year of college... She was in my public speaking class, and she had to do a speech, but she started crying in front of the class. I just knew in my head that she had social anxiety. After she sat back down, I went up by her desk and said "It's ok, you're not alone, I have social anxiety too."

The last day of our class, I waited outside for her to finish taking her final exam. As she was passing we had the following conversation:

Her: "Bye... Are you waiting for someone...?"
Me: "I was.... hrmmm.... waiting for you..."
her: why?
me: Because ... I umm. ... hrmmm.... I like you...
her: I like you too
me: really? why didn't you said anything.
her: I wanted but....

I was for hesitating for a good minute or two before I could ever say anything else.
So out of nowhere ...

Her: Do you want my number?
me: Oh yes....

Lol. She gave me her number, and invited me to her birthday party that was three months in advance. lol.

*sigh* She was pretty too, but my parents, when I was younger, got in my way :( What could've, should have been.

Sorry, if this is a bit excessive, but when you have social anxiety, you think these sort of things are maybe some of the best experiences in your life, because it doesn't happen often for a guy with sa.

It's all hopeless

:(

blur
08-30-2007, 01:43 AM
sorry it didnt work out between you and her

hail to the thief
08-30-2007, 06:48 AM
I met one girl, in my 2nd year of college... She was in my public speaking class, and she had to do a speech, but she started crying in front of the class. I just knew in my head that she had social anxiety. After she sat back down, I went up by her desk and said "It's ok, you're not alone, I have social anxiety too."

The last day of our class, I waited outside for her to finish taking her final exam. As she was passing we had the following conversation:

Her: "Bye... Are you waiting for someone...?"
Me: "I was.... hrmmm.... waiting for you..."
her: why?
me: Because ... I umm. ... hrmmm.... I like you...
her: I like you too
me: really? why didn't you said anything.
her: I wanted but....

I was for hesitating for a good minute or two before I could ever say anything else.
So out of nowhere ...

Her: Do you want my number?
me: Oh yes....

Lol. She gave me her number, and invited me to her birthday party that was three months in advance. lol.

*sigh* She was pretty too, but my parents, when I was younger, got in my way :( What could've, should have been.

Sorry, if this is a bit excessive, but when you have social anxiety, you think these sort of things are maybe some of the best experiences in your life, because it doesn't happen often for a guy with sa.

It's all hopeless

:(
sounds pretty cool.
I myself have never met anyone with social phobia. At least not to the extreme as to what i have it.

Mister
08-30-2007, 11:11 PM
I know someone with very severe social phobia, but I met her on a general chat forum... so I guess it don't count!

Lawo
09-25-2007, 05:59 AM
i have met two guys with social anxiety in RL.
everyone was different, they only had in common that they were registered at the same online community.....

the first one.......
......wasn't sort of shy or anything in a face-to-face talk, but extremely tensed in crouds, for example in bigger stations, shopping malls etc. (no, he definitely had no agoraphobia)
we had a really nice chat that day in cologne, but as the pedestrian area became more and more crowded, he became more anxious as well.

the second one.......
......was only shy at the beginning. once he was asked questions and the ice was broken, he could talk and chat that much that you wouldn't expect this man to have a social anxiety at all.

as you see, everyone has got different syptoms.....

so i have got. i don't mind to ask for the route in a city/town which isn't common to me, and in a shop i can tell my personal wishes to a salesman.
i haven't got problems with strangers, but when i have to talk to a guy who is not a friend of mine and not a stranger either, i certainly might feel SA......

sounds a bit paradox, eh? ;) but life isn't too logical at all - and that makes it interessting :)

greetings
michael

Jamima
09-29-2007, 05:34 AM
I have met people like myself but I have a hard time making friends with them because neither of us is forward enough to approach the other. Currently I know of one lady I really like. She's married to a friend of my husband and this summer both myself and her husband tried to get us together as a foursome but she declined each time. I tried calling her but can never talk with her directly since she's either working or taking a long bath. She takes a 2 or 3 hour bath every evening. I usually end up talking to her husband who is very extroverted and does all the talking.

MikeMarcoe
10-18-2007, 10:20 AM
I was in an actual support group for social phobics. The funny thing was, you couldn't tell by the way they acted, looked, or talked that they had social phobia, yet they all swore that they did. When I listened to their stories, I believed them.

Yet the weird thing is, it didn't show.

arman
10-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Recently, I was shocked to find out that someone i've known for some time (but only see a few times a year) has SAD. One night after a few drinks and personal conversation I had gathered up the courage to tell her about my condition, and her response was "I know, because I have it too." Then i'm thinking that there's no way I missed this (she does not come across as SA at all), but after a few minutes of her describing a typical day in her own SA hell i know now that she's just amazing at covering it. I mean, i can stand there across from someone and nod and smile while my mind goes completely deer in the headlights and my hands are shaking in my pockets and maybe even get it some conversation that sounds normal ( I think), but damn she's good. And I've seen her in all kinds of situations. Really gives me some hope to at least get better at controlling mine.

violet
01-23-2008, 07:09 AM
Yes ive mat a couple, ones a manager, ones a high engirneerer and the other is a LECTURER!! this is what i hope to be n i think if they can do it i can, its all about coping with it, anxiety will never go (altho it may feel like it sometimes) you just have to deal with it. I believe theres hope for us all and one day were all guna be surprised by how strong we actually are.x