PDA

View Full Version : What can I do to fix it?

Dozib
08-28-2007, 07:00 PM
I am on my school's Academic Team and am a Junior in High School. Our teacher sometimes asks us to do Oral Presentations, and this is really where my fears my have started. There are a total of 8 other members on my Team (not including my insane teacher...You would have to meet him to understand...He would make anyone nervous.)

When I was younger, even up to the 9th grade, I was a fast reader. We read My Antonia in our 9th grade English class 2 years ago and I would sometimes be called on to read. The people in my class were dumb (yet popular) and didn't really care about English. I would be so annoyed with their reading that I could read up to 5 pages before passing it on to another person. In the 10th grade we had to do a simple 2-3 minute presentation on an author that we researched. I stood up (volunteered first) and my body went crazy. My heart was pumping into my throat, I was shaking I'm sure and the major thing was my voice didn't want to breathe. I would take one breath and try to recite the entire presentation.

This year I am a lot more experienced in my Academic Team, but am sometimes afraid to even show it during a match. I am afraid to be wrong; Afraid to be laughed at.

Some classes in school I can freely talk in. I have revolved my entire class schedule around my Social Phobia this year. I take Chemistry first and I wont even answer homework problems when the teacher simply asks the room as a whole. My second class is Geometry, where i know no one and rarely talk. My English class, for instance, today we were going over a story we had read and the teacher called on me to answer a question. I had to say ONE SIMPLE SENTENCE and my throat was exploding with fear. I don't really know why. I like and talk to most of the people in the room, but if theres 1-3 people whom I'm afraid might make a joke or something, I'm fearful.

I must say though the Academic Team presentations scare me the most. I'm afraid of looking stupid in front of my 8 team members.

I'm sorry this took to long to get to, but I just wanted to give a background of what I feel like.

So, does anyone know a way to be calm and sensible (when i know i can be, since i used to be fine) in order to handle Social Phobia, without taking Psychology or Medication or anything crazy like that? Just a solution that I can work on everyday? I feel like it's getting worse and soon, when I am starting College, I'm afraid it might really begin to effect me.

If you took the time to read, thanks so much.

Dozib
08-28-2007, 07:12 PM
I've read some of the posts and I really feel like a lot of the symptom's aren't what i have.

I'm not really "shy"... I'm just serious and don't let myself have fun because I'm afraid I'll look like a dunce.

I would love to be able to answer questions and talk amongst the people in my class but my..what.. my body? my soul? just wont let me do it.

The only real symptom I have is Very fast heart beating and Trying to get something out in one breath. I'll know I'm running out of breath but I just try to keep talking...It's like i forget to breathe because I'm so nervous.. I don't even comprehend what I'm saying

Anyways, I wonder if anyone will read this, lol.... Oh well