PDA

View Full Version : Please help me!

SueG
06-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Hello,

Just found this forum whilst searching the net for help with my fears, anxieties and hypochondria.

I feel so frightened and my head is full of scary thoughts mostly relating to mine or my loved ones health. Although I do worry about other things too but my main anxieties are health related. I am absolutely terrified of hospitals and doctors so I only ever go when things get too bad and if ever I need surgery I think I would die of fright waiting to go into theatre!

If I'm happy I always think something is going to happen to spoil my happiness and inevitably my happiness is always marred by the black thoughts that take over my mind. Why do I torture myself i ask but I have no control over these terrifying thoughts of imminent doom!

The last 2 weeks I have had several panic attacks resulting in me crying and shaking and feeling physically sick and I told my husband it felt like I was having a nervous breakdown. My husband is a huge support but nothing he says or does to help can alleviate my fears and of course he hates to stand by and see me in such a state. He begs me to go to my doctors but my fear of doctors and hospitals always causes his pleas to make me feel even worse!

Besides all my many fears I've now convinced myself after a bout of sore throats that I have throat cancer and after reading about throat cancer on the Internet I am actually getting physical symptoms in my throat along with an intermittent croaky voice.

My fear and panic got so that bad that 2 days ago I made an appointment to see my doctor as I just couldn't cope with the black hole I was in any more and my GP was very understanding. I sat sobbing as I poured all my fears out to him and after listening to me he felt the throat pains and croaky voice were more than likely due to muscle tension etc brought on by my anxiety and worry etc. . He has prescribed Prozac and Oxprenolol and wants to see me again in 2 weeks time. However, i am now doubting his explanation competence and cannot believe that fear and hypochondria can bring on actual physical symptoms in the throat and give someone an actual croaky voice?

My doctor wants to try and get my anxiety levels sorted before he proceeds any further and I think he realised what courage it had taken me to make and keep my appointment that day and how much effort it had taken me to actually walk through his door.

However, today's been a really bad day for me and I am getting myself all worked up thinking that I have cancer of the voice box and its taking over my every waking moment! I hate feeling this way but my mind is so powerful and its my biggest enemy!

PLEASE HELP!

Sue

Enduronman
06-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Sue.

CHILLAX! It isn't throat cancer, strokes, heart attacks, tumors, or anything else that your mind is concocting. Also yes, your morbid thoughts are and can create all these actual physical symptoms too. True. The same is true no matter where you may read around here with others. All they may be thinking about is that they're going to suddenly die of a heart attack all day, then guess what? Their chest hurts.. If I stare at my finger all day and say to myself, please don't hurt, please don't hurt. Guess what? My finger will hurt.. Power of your mind friend.

Take the damn meds, stop searching for stupid shit on this internet because yer not going to die, and relax...PLEASE!

Out of all anti-depressants I can say that Prozac has to be one of the mildest and also one of the best still too.

There's your help!

E-Man. :)

SueG
06-14-2013, 11:46 AM
Thank you for replying E Man.

I am trying to get it all into perspective and I am desperately trying to let common sense prevail here but these black thoughts just take over my mind and I cannot control them! I'm hoping the medication will help me to do exactly that.

So glad to hear Prozac has been positive for you. How long does it take for them to kick in?

Thanks again

Sue

Enduronman
06-14-2013, 11:53 AM
The prozac will take a minimum of 2 weeks before you'll notice any improvement and within a month you should notice some significant improvements. Just remember, the black thoughts are just that, they're not real or of this life you're living Sue. Just relax and try to clear out the bad. Do something that you actually enjoy. Read, take a walk, pull your husbands ear and scream at him until you laugh, get out in nature and just sit. You're going to be just fine friend.

:D

SueG
06-14-2013, 11:56 AM
The prozac will take a minimum of 2 weeks before you'll notice any improvement and within a month you should notice some significant improvements. Just remember, the black thoughts are just that, they're not real or of this life you're living Sue. Just relax and try to clear out the bad. Do something that you actually enjoy. Read, take a walk, pull your husbands ear and scream at him until you laugh, get out in nature and just sit. You're going to be just fine friend.

:D

Thank you and you just made me giggle, so that's a step forward already. :D

Enduronman
06-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Exactly!! See how funny that was to think about doing? LOL!! He probably has NO idea what to think, say, or do when yer freakin out so may has well stop freakin out, and have some fun with him about it!! :D

Enduronman
06-14-2013, 12:00 PM
OMG I JUST REALIZED THAT I DON'T HAVE THROAT CANCER SO YER STUCK WITH ME FOREVER AAAAHHHHHH!!!

Make this day a good day Sue..

E-Man. :)

SueG
06-14-2013, 12:05 PM
:D I will try.

Sue

alankay
06-14-2013, 12:50 PM
I doubt he's wrong as there are many harmless reasons your throat might get soar. It will pass. Anyway do you feel or would you fear a psychologist? Alankay

SueG
06-14-2013, 02:32 PM
I doubt he's wrong as there are many harmless reasons your throat might get soar. It will pass. Anyway do you feel or would you fear a psychologist? Alankay

Hi Alan,

Strangely enough the thoughts of seeing a psychologist does NOT frighten me at all. Why is that?

Sue