PDA

View Full Version : have you sought treatment for your anxiety?

duddits
10-02-2005, 05:57 PM
Like everyone else that visits this forum, I have anxiety, but more specifically social anxiety. I didn't try to seek treatment until I was about 19 years-old, but I always knew there was something wrong with me for years. There were initial obstacles to actually seeking treatment, but mainly in the form of my family. I would get told that there's nothing wrong with me, "its all in your head", or "you're doing it to yourself". Those comments weren't helpful to me at all, but my anxiety slowly worsened.

I made up my mind one day to actually go see a psychiatrist to diagnose my actual condition, and the much needed treatment. That doctor visit was almost 5 years ago for me, now im living a somewhat "normal" life.

The question I have for everyone else is? Have you sought treatment for your anxiety and how is life living with anxiety?

scatmantom
10-13-2005, 03:06 PM
hi im new here...but i can tell u my experince of seeking help. I started gettin anxiety at the age of 11...all the way thru school i didnt get any help..my family where very supportive..but its tryin new things that triggered my anxiety so i was too scared to get help! anyway after a few years living away from home at university i plucked up the courage to do something about it..i saw a GP, was refferred onto a Psycologist. That was 5 months ago...its been great getting help. I refuse to take Meds...this might be slowing my progression back to a "normal" lifestyle...but i hate the thought that the meds will be great...i could get addicted to them if they solved all my problems . Id be intereted to hear if any1 has been to a group session..ive heard these are very effective...id be scared to death b4 going...nut ive nvr met any1 in person who has anything like wot i have..it would be good to know som1 that could understand wot i was going through!

flower29
12-14-2005, 04:32 AM
I have had anxiety since i was akid. I ahve sought treatment and some things mak it better but its never reall gone i have missed like seven days of work because of it so I am trying this cut i feel stupid because no one replies to me. life sucks :!: