PDA

View Full Version : Actually going to the dr today

Bam77
06-10-2013, 10:41 AM
I have had enough of this. The psychiatrist I see isn't helpful at all. Ive left a few messages because I had a concern with meds. He hasn't returned my calls. Every time I do see him he talks to me for 5 minutes and that's it. Im going to my regular doctor. I know I need meds but am scared of side effects and the horror stories ive read. My mind and body feel like its going 90 to nothing...I cant sleep, I cant concentrate on anything BUT my anxiety and feelings. Im constantly looking up health related things on the internet. I always think there is something wrong with me. I was told by the psychiatrist that I couldn't take .5 Xanax for over 2 weeks because I'll get hooked. I had it prescribed but am afraid to take it. I have taken it a few times and it worked great, but all the things I keep reading demonizes it. So now I sit and suffer..

alankay
06-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Yeah it gets demonized but I do prefer longer acting benzos. Valium/klonopin or even the popular ativan. Plus the longer acting meds are somewhat "safer"(regarding dependance) compared to shorter acting ones like xanax. Your GP may refer you to a pdoc he knows or me may opt to treat you himself depending on his training and experience with treating anxiety. If you don't have a good rapport with the pdoc, find another...good move checking in with your GP. Alankay

Bam77
06-10-2013, 04:12 PM
Ive tried Klonopin 0.5 I didn't feel that it helped me much. Then again I took it at bedtime so it may have worn off by the time I woke up.

Bam77
06-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Im back from the doctors office. My bp was 148/94 (I was also in the middle of a panic attack). The last time I went in which was two months ago it was 180/100. He then seemed to dismiss the white coat syndrome and prescribed a bp med.. I also had blood drawn (that was a BLAST!). We're checking everything to rule out physical causes. Now...im worried about what the results will be..