PDA

View Full Version : Question - Saint John's Wort

missmello
06-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Has anyone taken Saint John's Wort and had positive results?

This time around I've had anxiety for 3 months now and I can't seem to shake it off 100%. I'm looking for natural remedies because I do not like to take medication and don't want to worry about slowly weening myself off of anything, or worrying about withdrawals or side effects.

I have read that it is good for anxiety/depression and that it may take a while to notice therapeutic effects. Would just like some feedback from anyone who has taken it or knows of anyone who has.

RAIDER805
06-10-2013, 12:11 AM
Has anyone taken Saint John's Wort and had positive results?

This time around I've had anxiety for 3 months now and I can't seem to shake it off 100%. I'm looking for natural remedies because I do not like to take medication and don't want to worry about slowly weening myself off of anything, or worrying about withdrawals or side effects.

I have read that it is good for anxiety/depression and that it may take a while to notice therapeutic effects. Would just like some feedback from anyone who has taken it or knows of anyone who has.

I haven't tried St. John's wart, I've been told its more for depression.... I've been taking holy basil and L-theanine . They both have helped me quite a way...although the holy basil can be a bit expensive, i always buy a couple bottles when whole foods haves them on sale , also make sure you get suntheanine L-theanine chewable form its the purest form..You should look them up. I also take omegas 3,6,9 plus magnesium and a multi-vitamin. GOOD LUCK ! We're in this 2gether

missmello
06-10-2013, 05:05 AM
Thank you both. I just bought a book yesterday called Natural Relief for Anxiety by Edmund Bourne. One of the supplements, among others that he mentioned was st John's wort. The book also says it has the least amount of side effects, all of which are mild anyway. Says to take 3 300mg tabs per day and make sure it contains 0.3% hypericin, the active ingredient.

I just started back on multivitamins and also taking B complex.

I might start to add the st John's wort and omega 3s. Can't hurt, right?

Some of the other things suggested in the book were Gotu Kola, passionflower, valerian, and kava root. And some other vitamins.

nf1234
06-10-2013, 09:46 PM
Nope cant hurt. Keep us updated with your progress. Im curious to see!

Lin
06-10-2013, 11:06 PM
You have to watch with St Johns Wort it is very strong and you should check with dr before taking it with any meds.
Other herbs usually just good for you as long as stick to proper doses.
I have just been told vitamin D3 really good for women so taking extra of that.

Surfside
06-11-2013, 05:15 AM
St Johns Wort was one that I used for a few years with some success. Unfortunately, I was running into inconsistencies between brands and found it quite frustrating. One would seemingly work great, others would either do nothing or upset my stomach so I gave up on it. I wish those trying it luck with it. Like everything else, you get what you pay for, so, you might want to go with a good trusted brand name with the ingredients listed clearly on the bottle.