PDA

View Full Version : Eating disorders and anxiety go hand in hand

duddits
10-02-2005, 05:27 PM
Researchers say, according to a new study, that adolescent girls with eating disorders are at risk of developing anxiety disorders, and vice versa.

University researchers examinated the simultaneous occurrence of eating disorders and mood disorders among 672 twins (age 16 through 18) from the Minnesota Twin Family Study. The subjects of the study completed structured interviewed that found the occurance of bulimia or anorexia, assessed mood, anxiety, and substance use.

Click here to read the rest of the news story (http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=healthNews&storyID=2005-09-29T192235Z_01_EIC969718_RTRUKOC_0_US-EATING-DISORDERS-ANXIETY.xml&archived=False)

seeker83
10-13-2009, 11:01 PM
I am a testament to this. Bad eating habits will make your brain function in an unhealthy manner, hence anxiety, stress, depression..

markko
12-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Hi Duddits,

Certainly seems to make sense. It's eseentially a vicious circle.

Not eating means your brain doesn't get the nutrition it needs to work properly. Then in this depressed state you don't feel like eating.

Markko

PTSDGAD
05-30-2010, 07:13 AM
When my anxiety is really bad, I don't eat for days...but have no eating disorder.
And when a person doesn't eat, it triggers depression.
Benzos are the only thing that works for me to make me eat.
That, and marijuana.
But, I don't like smoking marijuana, but it works to make me hungry.
And benzos are so addictive, but they are the only thing that gives me relief....at least until my body gets so used to them, and my resistance to them builds up.
Pot is the only thing that has the least side affects, except, of course, the damage the smoke does to the lungs.
I wish I could grow it so I could have enough to bake it in things and consume it instead of smoking it.

Wes
06-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Bad eating habits will make your brain function in an unhealthy manner, hence anxiety, stress, depression..

Couldn't agree more. Good eating habits (especially starting the day with a proper breakfast) can help in reducing anxiety. Even if just a little bit, any help is welcome.

PTSDGAD:
"Least side effects" does not mean it does not have them, unfortunately. Smoking it does have effects, be sure to research it in specialized information sources. Prolonged use can actually cause an increase in anxiety, for many people, and a small number of people with predisposition do develop other effects.

Red42
06-12-2010, 10:11 PM
It's definitely not surprising that the connection is there.

bsmooth1
06-24-2010, 11:09 PM
I can most defintly see the connection between the two. I mean realy if your suffering from anxiety the last thing on your mind if your all dow nad deprresed is eating. and vice versa.

:|

xjenniex
10-31-2010, 05:45 AM
that is how i got diagnosed i knew i didnt feel right but i didnt go to the doctor untill i couldnt eat anything at all for a week

NashvilleQueen
06-04-2011, 10:54 AM
They talk about anorexia and bulimia...I wonder about the connection for other eating disorders such as compulsive eating disorder or food addiction (close to being considered "legitimate" at this point).

the_wing
10-12-2011, 10:33 AM
This really caught by eye because sine suffering from anxiety I've found that I literally havent been able to eat. It originally was from the stress and the anxiousness I was feeling but now even when I do feel hungry I feel like I HAVE to be sick or that it's going to really effect me. I wonder if it's just because I'm not feeling myself at the moment but I do hope that I snap out of thinking like that!

biceps72
10-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Researchers say, according to a new study, that adolescent girls with eating disorders are at risk of developing anxiety disorders, and vice versa.

University researchers examinated the simultaneous occurrence of eating disorders and mood disorders among 672 twins (age 16 through 18) from the Minnesota Twin Family Study. The subjects of the study completed structured interviewed that found the occurance of bulimia or anorexia, assessed mood, anxiety, and substance use.

Click here to read the rest of the news story (http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=healthNews&storyID=2005-09-29T192235Z_01_EIC969718_RTRUKOC_0_US-EATING-DISORDERS-ANXIETY.xml&archived=False)

above link doesn't work???????

evilferret
10-14-2011, 09:33 AM
This is a slightly different take on anxiety and eating disorders. I am a recovering bulimic and binge eater. And I suffer from anxiety. During my binges, I am almost in a trance trying to calm my anxiety. When I feel anxious for whatever reason, or feel the need to binge...food is the only thing that calms me down. If I don't eat or binge, my anxiety will get worse and turn into a panic attack. Of course then, I self medicate with a binge to feel balanced.

zstinson21
02-02-2012, 09:13 AM
I can see that cause now my anxiety is getting worse food is the absolute last thing on my mind. Right now just the thought of food makes my stomach flip. But when i have more control over my anxiety i love food.

miss_mac666
02-19-2012, 05:49 PM
I have suffered with a severe phobia for ten yrs. I have a fear of vomiting(i dont even like typing the word). I also have anorexia. I dont eat often because of my fear. i am constantly thinking about this ridiculous phobia. it never leaves my mind. I rarely leave my house because i don't want to be in contact with other people. my triggers result in crippling panic attacks. the slightest statement will send me over the edge for hours and hours, sometimes days. i need help. i have tried everything. im scared everyday and i ball my eyes out atleast once a day. this is putting a strain on my relationship with the most amazing guy in the world..
thanks

02-29-2012, 10:21 AM
I feel your pain. I had eating issues from the ages of 12-21. Now I have issues with being scared I am going to choke. Have you gone to a psychiatrist or counselor? I am so sorry you are going through all this. It is very tough, but you'll get through it.

miss_mac666
02-29-2012, 10:28 AM
i have been working with my therapist on it. its still really tough, but i get through it i guess. i get a lump in my throat sometimes when im having a panic attack. i cant swallow or breathe when that happens. its terrifying. yours started when you were 12?? thats horrible. you were just a child. :-(

02-29-2012, 10:32 AM
I was a young child; yes. It was horrid. I get the lump in throat thing too. Especially when I eat.(mainly when I go out to eat) It is terrifying. Do you ever go in the chatroom?

miss_mac666
02-29-2012, 11:18 AM
yes im in there now. ill stay in

02-29-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm sorry I missed you. I had left for my doctors appointment.

MainerMikeBrown
03-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Those with eating disorders are worried about their appearance, among other things. So the idea that eating disorders and anxiety disorders can develop in the same person doesn't surprise me.

charliexdx
05-13-2012, 09:15 AM
So true, I know by personal experience

jessie80
06-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Yup ! Same here :) diagnosed with both ED and anxiety disorder.