PDA

View Full Version : Please advice, I need a little help :(

stokemelissa
06-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Hello,

I am not sure if this is agoraphobia, but im scared its going that way!
It is in my family, a lot of the older generation and my brother has this too.
The problem I have is, I don't like going too far from home, as in just leaving this city, I panic and start getting tummy ache, leading to me believing I'm ill and I am going to either be sick or the other (backend)- sorry.

I am going London in a few weeks so I will be on the train for 2 1/2 hours, I really want to go because my husband bought me tickets to see Michael buble in concert which I know is a once in a life time thing really. My hubby wants us to really enjoy ourselves and celebrate our one year marriage by having the most romantic time of our life, bless him! And since having a baby, we haven't been able to enjoy ourselves.
The more I think about going though, I feel ill and want to say I can't go but I know I'm defeating the object... I wasn't always like this!
I get questions in my head like: am I ill? What about if I need the toilet and there isn't one? What if I can't come back home because I'm ill? I could have a tummy bug or something that will just come on either the day I go or when I come back.
Ahhh!! It's so frustrating and I just want forget all these thoughts and enjoy myself. The only thing that stops me is the thought of being ill. Am I the only one?

NixonRulz
06-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Quite normal for anxiety sufferers.

Agoraphobia is a really scary word that essentially means that you refrain from doing things or going places because of your fears.

Most of us have had that feeling. Many people believe it means housebound, which is an extreme and rare kind of agoraphobia.

You have a lot of "what if" questions concerning your trip to the concert.

A good answer to all of this questions is " so what."

No matter what happens, the worse you will feel is scared and maybe panic a little.

Not like you haven't done that a million times, right?

You are an expert by now.

You know it won't harm you. You know you are not in danger.

Just gets a little uncomfortable and none of your fears come to pass

Remember that anxiety with panic is basically feeling fear without the presences of real danger

Realize it is just your anxiety acting up and keep moving forward and having fun.

Lin
06-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Really common to worry like this about something coming up especially when you know it is so important to your husband.
We get this as a couple all the time because my phobias stop me doing things my husband loves doing.
Often the fear of something beforehand is far worse than when you actually go ahead and do the event. You know there will be toilets you can use and if you talk yourself into staying calm on the day you might not need them anyway.
Always carry something with you to calm yourself down like an iPod with calming music or breathing exercises or essential calming oils to smell, and always have a bottle of cold water because just a sip of cold water can help to keep you calm.
I am sure if you prepare yourself for the event that you will be able to go and enjoy it enough so that your husband does too.
God luck and let us know how you get on, i have heard that he is good in concert.