PDA

View Full Version : Exercise for anxiety

RAIDER805
06-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Has anyone had any luck using exercise for relieving anxiety? I used to go to the gym 4x a week before anxiety came along. I haven't been back in 2 months out of fear of getting my heart rate up and freaking out. Also scared that it might make my off balance/ lightheaded feeling worse. Any ideas, thoughts?

GiantsWSC
06-05-2013, 10:36 PM
From what I found, keeping active is one of the key things that has helped to control my anxiety. I've had similar symptoms so I know how you feel, I suggest maybe going easy in the beginning until you get used to it. Good luck

RAIDER805
06-05-2013, 10:40 PM
From what I found, keeping active is one of the key things that has helped to control my anxiety. I've had similar symptoms so I know how you feel, I suggest maybe going easy in the beginning until you get used to it. Good luck

Thanks giantwsc, I'm building my courage up

mid
06-05-2013, 10:40 PM
I'd put exercise back on the agenda with simple activity like giantswsc mentions. It's hard to face the fear without having a plan of action to push through the initial part. Best wishes.

RAIDER805
06-05-2013, 10:43 PM
I'd put exercise back on the agenda with simple activity like giantswsc mentions. It's hard to face the fear without having a plan of action to push through the initial part. Best wishes.

Thanks mid, you are def. on the money about having a plan, I can do it

GiantsWSC
06-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Welcome! As an example I only did the bike/elliptical in the beginning and a couple other machines then worked my way up to other routines.

RAIDER805
06-05-2013, 10:56 PM
Welcome! As an example I only did the bike/elliptical in the beginning and a couple other machines then worked my way up to other routines.

I know cardio is good for anxiety, what about weight lifting?

GiantsWSC
06-05-2013, 11:06 PM
You can do that as well like machines and free weights but I would suggest starting with moderate weight until you feel more comfortable. Just don't over exert yourself.

RAIDER805
06-05-2013, 11:16 PM
You can do that as well like machines and free weights but I would suggest starting with moderate weight until you feel more comfortable. Just don't over exert yourself.

Ok, sounds like a plan! Thanks giantwsc ! I really appreciate your advice

leetbulldog
06-06-2013, 02:15 AM
I'm in the same situation like you.. I was a gym rat..but I'm scare to go back cuz of heart palps :/
But like you, I must go back !

ItsBrett
06-06-2013, 06:11 AM
Although my motivation is slowly dwindling at the minute I can honestly say I don't know where I'd be without the gym! The routine absolutely keeps my mind from exploding and gives me a reason to wake up and do something useful. When you work out your body releases chemicals called endorphins that trigger a happy feeling in your body! I guess another benefit would be confidence in yourself when your seeing good changes in your physique and fitness levels!