PDA

View Full Version : Will I be able to come off of the meds?

MShemel
08-23-2007, 08:56 AM
I am a 27 year old male. I suffer from short intense periods of anxiety every few years, with little or no anxiety inbetween. The last time I had intense anxiety it lasted for about a month with palpitations dizziness, and nervousnes, with one full blown panic attack where I was basically on the floor. At the time I didn't take any meds, not even xanax.

About a month ago I became anxious again. This time i had to take xanax because I was getting anxiety in dangerous places like when I was driving. Plus, this time I am getting the dizziness more often. When I took the xanax it all disappeared. My doc gave me a prescription for Lexapro 10mg. I filled it but have been staring at the bottle every morning and just not taking it. Almost everyone in my family is on some form of medication like zoloft. None of them have been able to come off of it. I don't want to be one of those people who starts and never stops the medication. What I'm really trying to say, is does anyone think I should try to ride this out with just taking xanax occassionally or should I take the lexapro. And if I take the lexapro, will it be easy to taper off of it, or will my body get used to it? It just seems like an easy way out that I will never be able to stop. Please advise me.

RichB
08-23-2007, 01:27 PM
This is hard because obviously you should do what your doc says.

But...

I saw many docs when I has anxiety/panic that pushed pills WAY too much and had me on too much stuff in hindsight. I learned techniques and coping skills that were much more effective than my pills. But the pills do have their place, if you're so anxious you can't function or can't learn better long term skills, then use them.

I remember a psychiatrist telling me I'd be on meds for the rest of my life. I have no need for meds now nor have I in years.

I was in my early 20's when panic really got hold of me and about 28 when I kicked its ass so I can relate. It stole a great period of my life, I wish I knew then what I do now, but that's the way it goes.

My family is all on pills too, but you don't have to become them.

Rich

Robbed
08-23-2007, 05:20 PM
I say give it a go without the Lexapro. From what I have noticed with people who are taking such drugs, it seems like when you go on them, anxiety might improve somewhat. But it just seems like they keep you stuck in a kind of 'no man's land' between high anxiety and full recovery - not to mention possible side effects like constant drowsiness, apathy, or emotioal numbness. In other words, they don't really seem to make anyone completely better. And then there is the question of getting off these drugs. Granted, some people can do this easily. But for others, it is a real living hell. And you don't really know where YOU will fall until it is TOO late. Furthermore, you say that these episodes are short-lived anyway. So my advice is to just ride it out. Also, like the other guy said, non-drug approaches to dealing with anxiety are a MUCH better idea.

bio
08-24-2007, 06:40 AM
Finally, I found a sufferer who is almost similar to me. That is RichB.

My first p.a was in Aug 2000. I did not know what it was. So, I rushed to my colleagues in psychiatric unit seeking help and asking them if it was psychotic symptom. Weird, they laughed at me and told me it was ONLY a panic attack. What a relief! Psychiatrist prescribed 0.2 mg clonazepam and I was told to take it for the whole of my life. It did not help much so I ceased to take after 9 mths until today.

Well, I for one opt for coping skill and self-help to smother anxiety disorder.

Oh, two of my siblings are sufferers as well. As far as I know, they too are not on medications.

Robbed
08-27-2007, 07:12 AM
Psychiatrist prescribed 0.2 mg clonazepam and I was told to take it for the whole of my life.

I don't know if these 'professionals' realize just how much damage statements like this can do.

bio
08-28-2007, 06:18 AM
Hi Robbed

Talking about professionals (doctors), to me it's more about professional ethic.

More often than not, they will say and do things what they think best.
They will investigate each case, diagnose, prescribing meds, do operations if necessary and telling the prognosis. Done!

There we go.
Are we satisfied?
The good point, their OPINION is very helpful.

Robbed
08-29-2007, 09:35 PM
The good point, their OPINION is very helpful.

I would call being told that you have a lifelong condition that will require lifelong medication more hurtful than helpful. Especially when there is a good chance it is not true.

anxietycrusher
08-30-2007, 09:38 AM
You should definitely go on the meds, and fyi, you can come off them. I'm completely cured now, but before that, I was on Zoloft for a year. I went off of it around Xmas time because I thought i was ready. It wasn't a pleasant experience. I was completely dazed, and felt like I was in some sort of weird state of consciousness, not asleep but not fully awake either. This lasted for 2 weeks. After that, I was fine. It is definitely possible and worth it. Don't let someone tell you you can't do something. If you need help now, get the Lexapro and let it help you. That's what it's for. When you think you're ready to come off of it, you will be able to. All it takes is strength, perseverence and the determination to stop. If I can do it, anyone can.

ayesha
09-03-2007, 02:12 AM
have you considered omega 3? EPA? it apparently works wonders, but takes 3 months to kick in.