PDA

View Full Version : Any help/advice will do please

Ejr
06-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Hi all, this is the first time I've done anything like this. I am an 18 year old male and have suffered from anxiety/ocd symptoms probably since my early teens. I've fought this battle on my own for much of my life with intrusive thoughts being the main cause of my distress. I have never seen a doctor. I did however tell my parents recently but not much has happened since then. For those of you who don't know, intrusive thoughts are thoughts which are distressing and involuntary which often are what the person being affected fears the most. Over time I have learned to control these but recently a new thought has arisen. This may sound stupid but I have an idea in my head that if for instance I do not wash my hands well enough after "me time", and then touch something, that semen will be on this object I have touched. Because of this i then fear that a female may also touch where I have touched and then touch herself and then fall pregnant. I know even writing this now how irrational it is but it does cause me great anxiety and at times I feel a need to wash my hands more then I should and follow this compulsion. I've always been an intelligent boy but for some reason even though I know this cant happen, it still gives me great fear and anxiety and I don't know how to stop this. Its all in my head! I just really need some advice. I've had thoughts about a lot more terrible things, and beaten them, but for the moment I just can't beat this. I just wish my chronic anxiety would stop. It's destroying me as a person. Thanks in advance for any replies.

shaikhrahuf
06-04-2013, 09:15 AM
Yes it is sounding irrational, but thoughts like this are very comkon for sensitive people. Like us, for instance as mentioned semen cant survive on bare hands or on some surface more than 2 minutes (not sure but heard it) it is just ur obsession, so do not fear, u know its stupid so left d thought flow out of head, and yes no one can get pregnant woth that semen...

alankay
06-04-2013, 09:30 AM
Yes OCD type symptoms. CBT and an ssri might be your best option. You seem bright indeed and probably know semen dies when it strikes open air. It cannot live even a moment out in the open...at all.
I would meet with a a GP or therapist as the earlier you start getting help the better and that does for any issue really(infection, wound, etc). Alankay

GiantsWSC
06-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Sorry to hear you are going through this being such a young person. I have gone through something similar regarding thoughts and coping with them. What I have learned that has helped me is Mindfulness meditation where you don't fight against your thoughts but just accept them for what they are, just thoughts, that's all they are and nothing more. You focus on your breathing and being at peace with yourself.

I don't have enough post count to post a link yet but if you look it up on Youtube you will find plenty of videos on this.

I'm going through some relapse myself so I will be using this as an aid. Hope it helps.

Nara
06-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Dont worry! this is just irrational thoughts.. let them come and go.. dont give importance to them. ask yourself the possibility of this really happens and you will know little by little this is just irrational that comes naturaly when you are anxious. Dont fight against this thought or dont feel guilty just accept and imagine this thought inside a little cloud going away.. so with the time they cant make you feel anxious anymore. God bless you!