PDA

View Full Version : more problems... withdrawl? meds?

artist1973
08-22-2007, 02:37 PM
I wrote a week or so back... and could use a bit more advice.

I have been on Xanax for the most part for almost 3 months, everyday .25 pills.
I took one and a half in the morning, and one at night, sometimes one in the afternoon if my anxiety needed it but the afternoon does was rare. Doc told me that I need to do something other than xanax because it is addictive. Tried cymbalta... felt like I lost my mind for 2 days... About 1 week later tried lexipro...took a week worth of pills...felt awful.

Decided to stop all of them been off lexipro for a week now and xanax for 3 or so days. Yesterday I felt much better and thought I had made the right decision and work up this am in the middle of a colossal panic attack -profuse sweating, racing heart, fear, anxiety.

I have no idea now if I am experiencing xanax withdrawl.... or made the wrong decision in stopping the meds... Anyone else ever have xanax withdrawl?

Forgot to add.. have no appetite and have lost 30+ pounds in the past 2 months... could not eating increase my problems?

I am unbelieveably frustrated with this. Never had a panic or depression problem in my life. And now it suddenly rules me...

Any advice? especially on xanax withdrawl?

Thanks!

RichB
08-22-2007, 03:22 PM
I'd listen to your doc but I personally wouldn't stop Xanax cold turkey after 3 months for the exact reasons you describe. I'd eliminate it gradually over a week or two.

Robbed
08-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Remember that drugs like Lexapro and Cymbalta are also addictive. In fact, MANY people have a MUCH more difficult time getting off these drugs than benzodiazepines. Regardless, xanax withdrawal could be causing yur heightened anxiety. Like the other guy said, you might want to try tapering it over a longer period of time rather than going cold turkey.

As for what to do next, I would look into nonpharmaceutical solutions first. In fact, this is probably what you should have done right off the bat. I tend to look at meds as a LAST resort rather than a FIRST resort. Therapy might be a good option here. But beware, as good therapists are EXTREMELEY difficult to find. And a bad therapist (or one who just doesn't know how to deal with your condition) can do more harm than good.

Self help can actually be a GREAT way to go. Numerous books and websites exist to this end. The anxiety books by Claire Weekes (ie Complete Self Help For Your Nerves) are very helpful. They also don't cost an arm and a leg like some self-help programs (ie Linden Method). And you might want to check out anxietycentre.com. Their methods, by the way, are actually quite similar to those promoted by Claire Weekes. And membership is pretty cheap (around $20 for a year).

Then again, you also want to look into what could be troubling you in life. Anxiety, depression, and panic are typically caused by stressors in life. And yes, it is VERY common to NOT feel a connection between your emotional distress and the stressors that may be causing it. Also, it is VERY common that the emotional distress feels EXTREMELY out of line with your level of distress. This is especially true if your stressors have been more of a low level, chronic nature.

So look into this. If you apply these methods AND look into what could have caused this in the first place, you have a VERY good chance of getting through all of this AND not having to worry about it cming back - all without meds.

RichB
08-23-2007, 01:29 PM
I agree with trying to rely less on drugs as well. The structure that Claire Weekes taught is the basis for the Driving program I'm involved in (as with probably other program that's around, she was a pioneer).

Tywrap
08-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Have you ever thought of tying one of the SSRI's? I was on Paxil for about a year and it worked great. I didn't expeiance any withdrawal. Some folks say it's addictive but with the right doctor you should be fine.

Robbed
08-23-2007, 06:32 PM
Have you ever thought of tying one of the SSRI's? I was on Paxil for about a year and it worked great. I didn't expeiance any withdrawal. Some folks say it's addictive but with the right doctor you should be fine.

It probably wasn't the doctor that helped you with the withdrawal. It was probably you - meaning your chemical makeup. Just as some people can quit smoking easily, some people are lucky in that they can stop using SSRIs easily. But as with cigarettes, others are not so lucky. The same goes for SSRI side effects (which, if we are dealing with relatively mild anxiety, can be WORSE than your anxiety symptoms). For this reason (and others), I just don't recommend that SSRIs be a first-line treatment.

Mister
08-25-2007, 12:00 AM
Spot on Robbed, I've just stopped taking Citalopram after 1 1/2 years.. cold turkey, as I thought that the time was right for me to do this... That first week was really awful, severe mood swings, a serious anxiety attack which nearly cos me my best mate, headaches, cramps, palpitations,sleeplessness, feelings similar to electric shocks going thru my entire body... It was a nightmare!

I'm still experiencing some of them now 2 weeks on, but not as severe.. But I also feel a massive benefit from stopping them.. I hadn't realised how much control they had over my mind, which feels a lot clearer now that I'm actually off these tablets. In saying that tho, I am extremely grateful that I had to tablets when I did, as I relied on them to get me thru a particularly bad patch.

I'm going to give it a go wiht just therapy now, and see how it goes :)