PDA

View Full Version : 40000 children on prozac just need to talk

duddits
09-30-2005, 10:52 PM
A government watchdog group warned that about 40000 children taking antidepressants could be better helped if they were talked through their problems.

National guidelines are now being issued to doctors telling them not to prescribe pills as a "first time" remedy for depressions for children under 18.

The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence says that general practioners should offer children psychological talking therapies instead of prescribing medications.

click here to read the whole story at Dail News (http://www.psycport.com/showArticle.cfm?xmlFile=bhsuper%5F2005%5F09%5F28%5 FTDMA%5F0000%2D9527%2DKEYWORD%2EMissing%2Exml&provider=Daily%20Mail)

SocialRetahd
12-02-2006, 03:19 AM
I started at 14.

Robbed
06-03-2007, 06:28 AM
Agreed. Although there are certainly people out there who need these meds, they do tend to be overprescribed. Given all the pitfalls of taking SSRIs (side effects, possible discontinuation difficulties, etc), doctors and therapists should really not be so forceful about getting people to take these meds (who may not need them). They should be considered a last resort rather than a first resort, and not just for kids. I myself really don't appreciate the kind of pressure that has been put on me to use these drugs.

Iridisis
06-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Okay...I'd be ecstatic to talk to them...but who is going to pay for my re-education so I can get a MASTER'S degree??? I don't think you can counsel at all with a BS, and certainly not with an AS. Only those who make nothing qualify for assistance, not those who are drowning in debt and have lost 75% of their business to the economy. SOMEHOW...SOMEWAY...we still make too much to qualify for ANYTHING. Yet, we were BORN in this country!!! Is something wrong with this picture?

stopanxiety
01-05-2011, 07:47 AM
It's actually sad, but the fact remains: most people would be much less depressed if they just had someone to talk to and someone who'd say: "I understand". Sadly most people pay their therapist just so they can hear those 2 words on a "regular basis". What's worse is that we have started to alienate children due to work, stress etc. Even with all the communication technology around us we don't talk with our children. Sad really...

murdoch
05-03-2011, 06:25 AM
This is very saddening thing. These issues can be easily taken care of by talking with kids by the parents or letting have some participation in some hobby group of the child interest. Sometimes it is just because of daily tough demanding routine.

NashvilleQueen
06-04-2011, 10:51 AM
I definitely agree. Iridisis...can you look into a GTA to get your Masters? I did that and I got paid to go to school and my tuition paid for. Just a suggestion.

morgan16
07-29-2011, 04:32 AM
This is great news for us. I think it would be possible if the parents are supported to their children.