PDA

View Full Version : worried about something new

FallenAnx
08-20-2007, 07:50 PM
hey guys its been a while since Ive posted but a new experience is making me worry more then I have to.... I quit going to the gym after I had my first panic attack because thats where it happen. I basically became a lazy bum (prior to it i was a gym rat) and havent done anything physical since then and now I am starting to get back into it ... the only thing is now when I work out my heart rate jumps to 170-180 (im 21) when im lifting wieghts and takes a while to slow down to 130 and when I finish working out it takes about a half hour or longer to get even close to being a slightly resting heart rate of about 80... it keeps making me think that there is something wrong with me.... any advice, help, anything is appreciated.... Im really really scared

thanks

bio
08-20-2007, 09:08 PM
Just to relate my personal experience.

First thing first, get to know what panic attack and anxiety disorder is all about. By knowing it, means coping skills need to learnt or acquired.
The easiest and effective way to get relieved is by taking deep breathes. Relaxation techniques and self-help are also very much needed.

Btw, need not to worry about your pulse rate bcoz it’s just one of the panic attack symptoms.

Think about this, if we could sustained it (panic attack) for the past few months or years, meaning that we are still and will be even better or even get recovered.
Be thankful that anxiety disorder is not a chronic mental illness.

RichB
08-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Two things:
How are you taking your pulse rate?
How quick is the "jump"?

If you're taking it with the cardio machines at the gym, they're inaccurate enough to be useless. If you're getting up to 180BPM in a few seconds, that's odd, but if you're working hard it can get that high within minutes. It can also stay high for awhile, actually the more out of shape you are the longer you'll have an elevated HR.

170-180 isn't really that high from a cardiovascular perspective, it's not near your max HR.

Oh, I'm a personal trainer...

Rich

FallenAnx
08-22-2007, 01:41 AM
It jumps up to around 160 walking on a the treadmill for a few minutes and i guess i would say i am pretty out of shape....it basically only hits 180ish when im doing squats

FallenAnx
08-22-2007, 01:42 AM
o and im taking it with a heart rate monitor i bought at big 5

RichB
08-22-2007, 08:25 AM
I'm not sure what big 5 is but it could be a junky monitor or just being a bit out of shape. Nothing that would alarm me as a trainer. Don't concern yourself with your HR when lifting. You get very high blood pressure and HR spikes while lifting, it's inconsequential. Keep doing your cardio and it'll get better. Stick with Polar HR monitors, you can get one for $50.