PDA

View Full Version : University?

GeneralWorrier
05-29-2013, 12:42 PM
Okay so I've suffered with anxiety for a while now, I'm absolutely dreading University, everything about it is just making my stomach churn as we speak.

I thought I'd better get looking at different courses to do as I'll be applying in 3 months or so, anyway I've been interested in graphic design and I noticed that Hertfordshire do a online graphic design course which I would be able to complete from home. I just wondered if anyone knew if I'd still get student loan and other help with paying the fees if its an on,I've course? As I'm in a single parent family and we wouldn't be able to afford the yearly fees with no help, I did notice that the yearly fees are considerably lower at just over £3,000, does anyone know if I'd still gain help?

Any advice would be appreciated. I didn't know if I would gain extra help with having Anxiety or not as I find it hard to go out to some places and I really don't think I'd cope with university at all. I suppose if I do it online a degree is better than no degree right?

I know this probably isn't the best place to post a question like this but someone may have had a similar experience :)

NickCrav
05-29-2013, 01:26 PM
I suffer from anxiety and university was the best time of my life. If you can make it through first year controlling your anxiety you will be fine after that and you'll love it. Everyone is so friendly and in the same situation at uni so people are initially nervous especially that pretty much no one know anyone! But you force yourself on a few nights out make some friends and the people you live with or choose to hang out with become a family pretty much.
I had my fair share of breakdowns in first year, I don't know how much support you get from your parent but my mum really supported me and I didn't give up, it was just the workload and the negative view I had on my abilities not being able to meet the requirements but the work is easy lol especially in first year! It makes you so much more independent and you will come out of it so much more confident you don't even realise, I've changed so much so I'm proof! Still get anxiety but definitely not as bad, not as often, and I'm coping with it so much better :D
Anyway I hope this helps, I know you want to know more about prices and about the loan and are interested in the online course but that's all I can help on really is the fact that I went in quiet as a mouse and incredibly nervous and have come out a successful personal trainer with a BOOMING VOICE and confidence and I put a lot of it down to uni! Best of luck I'm sure your strong enough to pull through and make the decision that will benefit you the most (thinking about what will stimulate your brain in the most productive way possible to prevent the anxiety getting worse - human interaction does wonders for self esteem especially if you go into it thinking your an amazing person and you let your confidence and your real self shine through!)