PDA

View Full Version : breathing problems from anxiety?

bwmelbs
05-29-2013, 05:23 AM
Hello. for the last few years i've had trouble breathing with no diagnosed health issues. i check out just fine medically.
just a constant daily gasping and yawning all day long. it's very frustrating since mostly, getting a full yawn or full breath is so hard and i strain to the point of triggering the gag reflex.

sometimes, like now as a i type, i get so engrossed in wanting to get all my thoughts out in an instant and have my fingers move a million miles an hour that i hold my breath and end up gasping from chest tension. other times i'll tense while lying down when i'm supposed to let go and relax and have to get up gasping for breath.

and most of all. when i want to laugh or i find something funny i can't laugh. it's like my body doesn't know how to move the air in and out comfortably, happily and at ease. without the thought or feeling like i'll let too much air out and pass out.

is this possible? any idea what i can do? does anyone out there have breathing issues all day long? i'm always trying to hide and suppress my body's urge to breathe because no one around me has this or can understand.

i'm scared that my parasympathetic nerves are done for and can never relax again and just be normal and laugh.
i'm 28. male and no prior issues whatsoever. but i do know that it was all triggered by severe fear of punishment, death and worthlessness as a human being as if i'll never or don't have the right to be happy. i am a bad person not worthy of the good in my life. but my failings are just personal. not that i've ever harmed or would ever harm anyone.

well that's the reason i couldn't sleep all these years and still get scared. feel like i'll be exposed by people or humiliated for who i am and what i feel. so being scared doesn't help. having breathing trouble ruin my ability to do physical work has meant a loss of jobs and loss of money which adds to the hurt.

just want to know why breathing is so hard and so troubled? i never hear or see of anyone get breathing trouble. even those with anxiety that get it say it comes in a panic attack and then disappears. why would mine stay around all day?

missmello
05-29-2013, 06:33 AM
Anxiety can absolutely mess up your breathing! Between the muscle tension and constant awareness of your breathing, it's a vicious cycle. Sometimes my husband would say to me "why do you keep sighing??" and I'd just be like, what?? I didn't even realize I was doing it. I sometimes have breathing issues that will last for days or weeks at a time. I'm sure everyone on this forum has experienced this.

You need to retrain your brain on the proper way to breathe. Take nice long deep breaths through your nose, so that your belly fills with air, then slowly let it out through your mouth. Try to think of pleasant things, like laying on a beach and listening to the waves, or wherever your peaceful place is, and close your eyes while you do it. In no time you will start to relax. There are also videos on YouTube that can guide you through your breathing, and I find them to be very helpful. search for "thehonestguys" they are great. There are also apps if you have a smartphone.

fisher
05-29-2013, 08:02 AM
Hiya,your ok i get it now and again,you sound like u are breathing from your upper chest,you need to relax your body and breath from your stomach,it can come on me and maybe i am feeling anxious and dont know it and i am tensing up because u feel like your not getting enough air. And u yawn alot and breath right up,i find though the next day u forget and u go back to normal

bwmelbs
05-29-2013, 05:28 PM
Thanks missmello and fisher. I will definitely look into thehonestguys and apps to try some breathing exercises. Admittedly I find it really scary to even attempt to control or adjust my breathing. I have just gotten used to the frustration of not getting even breaths, gasping, etc just because I don't want to deal with it but I guess that doesn't help.

I hope you're right and will give it a try.

Anther question, I know this is probably over thinking but one set back and very real urge I feel is when I try to stomach breath, it feels like my chest and heart and throat need the air and need to stretch. Like it's not enough or I'm slowing down too much. Is that a normal sensation?